R.I.P. Randy "Macho Man" Savage

whiplash1972

Macho Man Randy Savage Dies In Car Accident

Macho Man Randy Savage -- one of the greatest wrestlers of all-time -- died today in a car accident in Tampa, Florida ... TMZ has learned.

0519-macho-man-ex-getty.jpg

TMZ spoke with Randy's brother, Lanny Poffo, who tells us the wrestling legend suffered a heart attack while he was behind the wheel around 9:25 AM ... and lost control of his vehicle.

Earlier this month, Savage celebrated his 1-year anniversary with his new wife Lynn.

Savage was 58.

Macho Man began wrestling in the WWF in 1985 and became a superstar with his trademark catchphrase "Ooooooh Yeaahhhhh." Savage was so popular, he became the spokesperson for Slim Jim in the mid '90s ... and became virtually synonymous with the brand.

UPDATE: Florida Highway Patrol tells TMZ ... Savage was driving his 2009 Jeep Wrangler when he veered across a concrete median ... through oncoming traffic ... and "collided head-on with a tree."

Savage was transported to Largo Medical center, where he died from his injuries.

Savage's wife was a passenger in the vehicle during the collision -- but survived with "minor injuries." She was transported to a different local hospital where she was treated.

0520-randy-savage-wife-lynne-payne-getty-swipe-2.jpg

According to officials, Randy and Lynn were both wearing their seatbelts at the time of the accident.

Cops say alcohol was NOT a factor.

An investigation into the accident is underway.

http://www.tmz.com/2...estler-florida/

-----------------------------------------------------------

One of the all time greats. You will be missed.... oh yeaaaaaaaah.

One of the best characters ever. It didn't matter if you were cheering him, booing him, loving him or hating him... He ALWAYS had your attention

R.I.P. Macho Man. He actually lived not too far from me when I lived in Staten Island, NY. He was a cool dood.

I'll be sure to "snap into a Slim Jim" tonight in his honor. Oooooh yeah!

Very sad news. He was one of the best ever in both WWF and WCW.

The guy was just a huge personality and along with Hogan he helped bring wrestling to the mainstream. Even though Hogan gets most of the credit Savage deserves just as much IMO.

Such a shame. Seemed to be getting used to life out of the limelight, finding personal peace, settling in with his new wife. Even though I haven't heard anything about the cause of the heart attack and even though it's sad for someone to be gone so young, it's nice to not hear about a death related to some ills of the wrestling business.

One of the best matches I ever saw live was Macho vs. the Million Dollar Man. His small package for the win was one of the more technically perfect examples I'd ever seen at that point in my life. He always had your attention. (I'll never forget when he tore up my Elizabeth sign back in the Macho/Sherri Dusty/Sapphire tag match.)

RIP Randy. Prayers to your family and friends. (And thanks for all the wonderful memories.)

• 2 years later...