Warrant's Joey Allen Says The Band's Upcoming Album 'Sound

edwithmj

January 27, 2011

Warrant is currently in the studio working on the follow-up to 2006's 'Born Again', the band's first with new lead singer Robert Mason (formerly of Lynch Mob and Cry Of Love).

Lead guitarist Joey Allen posted the following update regarding the upcoming CD, "14 songs with drums and bass done! 7 songs have rhythm guitar done...we are smokin' along!!! It sounds killer and Keith Olsen is GREAT to work with. This may be the best Warrant CD I have ever worked on, everyone is firing on all cylinders...wait until you hear Mason tear it up...KILLER."

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/news/00082.shtml

Like Born again, I will buy it, but I know full well its not gonna sound like Warrant to me.

Warrant for me is Jani being not only the vocalist, but the primary song writer as well, and those are two of the key elements to any bands sound.

Add to that the fact that Mason has never been involved in anything that excites me, doesnt leave me too excited.

Born again was a decent album, but just didnt do anything for me.

Doesn't every band say that the new cd is the best they've ever done? lol

This is true. Just once, wouldn't you like to see a band come out and say "The recording sessions are coming along horribly, these are the worst songs we've ever written, our new album's gonna suck, don't waste your time?" :lol:

I agree with Mr Howdy that this won't technically be a Warrant album and without Jani Lane at the forefront it plain and simply is just not Warrant.

BUT, all technicalities aside, I am genuinely very excited about this CD. I personally did not think 'Born Again' was good at all. Aside from one song, 'Down in Diamonds,' in fact, I think it pretty much sucked. :lol: But Robert Mason is a great singer and if they can nail the production job and deliver some cool tunes I think this is going to be a good'un. Can't wait.

lol yeah, I take any press release or comment like this with a grain of salt.

The last Warrant album I heard was Dog Eat Dog, am I missing out on anything decent after that?

It really depends on your tastes.

Ultraphobic was a great album in my opinion, but lots of people didnt like the alternative sound they adapted on it.

Belly to belly, is generally hated by everyone except me (I didnt think it was as good as Ultra, but still had some decent tunes on it) as it went even further down the alternative road.

Latest and greatest was an album of re-recorded hits, but the new songs on it were classic Warrant sounding, and I loved them.

Born again is an album that had very mixed opinions. There were those that hated it because Jani was missing. There were those that liked it but thought it just wasnt a Warrant album. And finally there were those that just loved it as a rock album.

Honestly nothing has compared to the first three, but for me Ultraphobic and the new songs on Latest and greatest are essential listening.

Yeah, I think 'Face' is porbably the best post-'Dog Eat Dog' song they recorded, on one of those Best Of's. And of course a newer version of their brilliant 'Thin Disguise' song was on one of those CDs too.

I also liked 'Ultraphobic' but I'd be hard pressed to recommend it to a melodic rock fan and I don't think it'd be for you at all, Vince.

'Belly to belly' was truly terrible, imo, and aside from 'Letter to a friend' it was a total write off.

Born Again is mostly a great album although a few songs are filler. The change of singer was a bit of a shock when I first heard it but once I got into Black 'N Blue, I genuinely got into Born Again after I found a new appreciation of St. James' vocals.

This is true. Just once, wouldn't you like to see a band come out and say "The recording sessions are coming along horribly, these are the worst songs we've ever written, our new album's gonna suck, don't waste your time?" :lol:

I think Don Dokken kind of said that a few times about 'Shadowlife' but unfortunately I didn't listen and bought it anyway. :doh:

Born Again is mostly a great album although a few songs are filler. The change of singer was a bit of a shock when I first heard it but once I got into Black 'N Blue, I genuinely got into Born Again after I found a new appreciation of St. James' vocals.

I'm a huge Black N Blue fan so loved the Born Again disc and looked at as a great hard rock album tried not to compare to other Warrant discs.

Yeah, I think 'Face' is porbably the best post-'Dog Eat Dog' song they recorded, on one of those Best Of's. And of course a newer version of their brilliant 'Thin Disguise' song was on one of those CDs too.

I also liked 'Ultraphobic' but I'd be hard pressed to recommend it to a melodic rock fan and I don't think it'd be for you at all, Vince.

'Belly to belly' was truly terrible, imo, and aside from 'Letter to a friend' it was a total write off.

"Face" was on the covers album as one of the two new songs and yes it's a good tune and the three new ones on Latest and Greatest were good as well.

To agree with Captn I thought Ultraphobic kicked butt as well and I even liked Belly to Belly and used to play it often but still much prefer the first three releases.

Oh yeah forgot to mention that i'm looking forward to this new disc with Mason. After seeing them live with him and being a huge fan of his voice over the years I have high hopes for this disc.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the covers album and the fact it had new songs on it.

I have to say I love The Jones and Southern comfort on L&G over the new songs on the covers album.

I also really like the song Last action hero that appeared on the Hollywood rocks boxset, but thats an older song really rather than post DED.

I just realized that my "Latest and Greatest" cd is the exact same as my "All The Hits and More" cd with the exception of the bonus tracks. Shows how much attention I pay! :lol:

I thought Robert Mason did a fantastic job with Warrant both times I saw them last summer. In fact, if you close your eyes while he is singing you would realize he sounds more like Jani than people would think. That being said, I'm not sure they have the ability to write the kind of great songs that Jani was able to come up with. Jani just had a gift for that, even though he hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire lately (unless you count matches and Bacardi 151). Maybe with Mason the band can come up with some kickass tunes but I wasn't very crazy about the one new song they made available late last year when they mentioned they were in the studio working on the new album.

will be interesting

Wow, really? I LOVE Mason's voice.

A huge reason why I loved Lynch Mob's debut was because of Oni Logan's awesome voice and I was hurt to learn he was not on the 2nd one, until I heard the 2nd one with Mason and I thought he was just as good. Great vocalist. I love the Silent Witness disc too. And he adds a lot to Big Cock to with his vocals alone. Yeah, don't know why that should be a surprise, mate, as I've probably praised his voice countless times on the forum and on the main site. :)

What the duece? Did your comment change, Mr Mustang? I thought I was replying to a post about your surprise at me liking Mason's voice. But it changed. :lol: Don't I look the goose now. Again. :)

Warrant will likely never top their first three releases. That being said, Ultraphobic was awesome. Belly to Belly was very good. My only complaint about that album is the three or four goofy intros. The covers album was good but like Geoff said, face is killer!. Sub Human was also killer on that cd. Latest & greatest didn't technically have new songs. The songs referred to above were su;ppose to be on Cherry Pie when it was called Vertical Smile but never made it. They were re-recorded for that best of. I also like Born Again but I only hear Black B Blue, not Warrant.

Looking forward to the new one. How can you not love Mason? Lynch Mob & Big Cock are great releases with him. Did not care for Silent Witness or the other one...Diamonds & Debries??? Or something.

Should be a good release!

Warrant will likely never top their first three releases. That being said, Ultraphobic was awesome. Belly to Belly was very good. My only complaint about that album is the three or four goofy intros. The covers album was good but like Geoff said, face is killer!. Sub Human was also killer on that cd. Latest & greatest didn't technically have new songs. The songs referred to above were su;ppose to be on Cherry Pie when it was called Vertical Smile but never made it. They were re-recorded for that best of. I also like Born Again but I only hear Black B Blue, not Warrant.

Looking forward to the new one. How can you not love Mason? Lynch Mob & Big Cock are great releases with him. Did not care for Silent Witness or the other one...Diamonds & Debries??? Or something.

Cry of Love's 'Diamonds and Debris' was awesome IMO but that classic rock is more my thing than yours so I know why you don't like it as much as me.

The Silent Witness wasn't great but it did have a few great songs and he sounded good. Also the James Byrd Group cd he did was really good Malmsteen style metal and Robert sounded great on that as well. I agree with the Lynch Mob and Big Cock, great stuff especially the LM. :headbanger:

I wonder why no love for the Silent Witness CD. I thought that one was great. I personally hated the Cry of Love CD... but yeah, Silent Witness' debut is excellent, imo.

I wonder why no love for the Silent Witness CD. I thought that one was great. I personally hated the Cry of Love CD... but yeah, Silent Witness' debut is excellent, imo.

I wouldn't expect you to dig the Cry of Love disc at all but yea the Silent Witness disc is solid but I wouldn't call it great but it's worth owning for those that dig MHR. I'd say off the top of my head that "Can't Keep from Falling", "Living in a Lie" and "Pouring Rain" were great songs and there's a few others but would have to spin the disc again to remember for sure. I do remember the production dropped off at the end of the cd which I found strange and there were at least two songs I'd call fillers.

Why do I get cold chills when I read stuff like that. Hopefully it's true but...

Because you have a Coors Light in both hands Rick, and the mountains are blue!

It could also be because he drank to much and passed out in the beerbarrow again. Or maybe he's crawling around on that cold garage floor looking for more scraps of floor burger.