Wicked Sensation vs Up From the Ashes vs Time Capsule

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First of all, this is my first poll, so my apologies if it is a complete disaster.

If I recall correctly, I think the release dates of the two rivals' post Dokken debuts were relatively close to one another further fueling the fire.

Being a fan of Dokken proper I promptly grabbed both when they came out as well as Jeff Pilson's War and Peace cd several years later when it was released.

Discounting anything he has done under the Dokken moniker without Lynch, I thought I'd only include the two initial solo efforts since that was the one and only official solo cd Don put out. And War and Peace was added as a third option for all those bassists amongst us who yearn to be frontmen. So no need to base your decisions on the strength of their entire catalogues. It's one on one on one.

At the time, I think I actually preferred Don's solo but I think Wicked Sensation has probably aged better and as of right now, I go with Wicked.

Three solid releases at any rate.

And does anyone know which solo cd sold the most units?

I like both Up From The Ashes and Wicked Sensation, but I guess I prefer Wicked Sensation a bit more. For me, there are more memorable tunes off Wicked Sensation (title track, "Bed Of Roses", "Sweet Sister Mercy"). I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this but I've never even heard of War and Peace until now, but after reading the reviews for Time Capsule over at the HH main site it sounds like an album I'd really enjoy.

My overall preference is Up From The Ashes. I do own all three releases and I can't even name a tune off of Time Capsule. That's how much I have listened to it. Wicked Sensation is a great album too. I would say that UFTA and WS have both withstood the test of time in my opinion. Both albums sound great to this day! I actually wish that Don would have put out a 2nd album with the UFTA line up. I've got some live bootleg shows of the band and they sounded great live. I have seen Lynch Mob live in concert and they tore it up. But that was with Mason, supporting the second album. Wish I would have witnessed Oni live.

Nice poll :D

I enjoy both WS and UFtA immensely, but I like Wicked Sensation just a bit more. Some killer tracks on there! :banger:

As for War & Peace, "Stone cold Believer" and "Heaven is Waiting" are excellent, along with several other good tunes. Well worth picking up IMO. ;)

Mike

Pretty easy for me...

"Up From The Ashes"

"Time Capsule"

"Wicked Sensation"

I just think the songs were better on the "Up From The Ashes" and "Time Capsule" releases.

The songs on "Wicked Sensation" just didn't do it for me... no flow to any of them.

Tough poll and really not an easy choice. I love 'Up from the ashes' but like Rick says, the stronger tracks on 'Wicked Sensation' are pretty amazing, and it give it the edge for me. Stuff like 'No bed or roses', 'Through these eyes', 'Sweet sister mercy' and the title track for example are so awesome and just a little more memorable.

As for 'Time capsule' I didn't even understand what it was until I saw it was the name of that War & Peace album. I do have it, but like others I find it totally forgettable.

Loved UP FROM THE ASHES back in the day, and still love it now (just listened to it a day or two ago in fact).

Had WICKED SENSATION on cassette back in the day, rarely listened to anything on it other than the title track, never bothered to upgrade it to CD.

Don't even know what the f*ck TIME CAPSULE is.

Vote: UP FROM THE ASHES.

I was so psyched when "Time Capsule" got released and love it and still do. Jeff sounded great and there were many great songs IMO and what a hell of a band he had that went on to bigger things, Rick Parent(Enuff Z Nuff)and Russ Parish(Fight) plus Tommy Hendrix/Hendricks went on to play in a few other bands that didn't do much but I think he even was in CC Deville's short term band with Spike from the Quireboys that only did a video.

Up From the Ashes and Wicked Sensation are both great to and it's a tough decision but I'd probably go with Wicked Sensation but every time I play UFTA and hear Norum and White shredding I almost change my mind. It almost comes down to if you prefered "Under Lock and Key" Dokken then you probably dig UFTA the most but if you liked "Back for the Attack" the most then the you might prefer the more agressive Wicked Sensation more.

UFTA for me.

Awesome album.

'Wicked Sensation'....wow, what an overrated pile of turd that album is.

The first 2 songs are great and 'No Bed Of Roses' hits the spot too, but the rest are plain awful. Zero hooks. Just a really difficult listen......that's why I dont bother.

Live they stink too. I saw them at FF last year and walked out after about 4 songs. Great bunch of musicians no doubt, but when the songs are shite what hope have you got ;-))

Live they stink too. I saw them at FF last year and walked out after about 4 songs. Great bunch of musicians no doubt, but when the songs are shite what hope have you got ;-))

I still enjoyed them live, but it annoyed me that they seemed to make it a point to play everything off the debut except the best songs. :(

Up From The Ashes for me.... more consistent. Wicked Sensation is a victim of it's blistering opening two tracks and as a result the rest of the album can't keep up. I actually prefer the 2nd album over WS even though none of the tracks are better than those first 2 from WS.

John Norum rules also..... but George needs to keep Don in line and vice versa ;)

A bit more filler on "Wicked Sensation" so my vote goes to "Up From The Ashes". Its much more consistent. :beerbang:

• 2 weeks later...