Bad Habit

Glen

Yeah, the first few songs do appear to be the strongest on this one. I do agree with Tim that their first 2 are the best they've done. I think this one will rank a handsome 3rd, but I'm not sure it'll trouble either of those first 2 for a place in the top 2. 'Revolution' is excellent to these ears and the only filler is the horrible title track - everything else, I thought, was excellent. And there are a couple of over-the-top songs on the debut, but that combined with the 4 track EP was just something special and it's hard to match.

All that aside, they've still released plenty of fine albums since and this one tops all of those, imo, so that's an awesome effort itself.

One other things about this. Thank god these songs are better than those two new songs on their "Timeless" compilation album - those were shite. In fact, that whole compilation was shite.

One other things about this. Thank god these songs are better than those two new songs on their "Timeless" compilation album - those were shite. In fact, that whole compilation was shite.

:lol: I remember one of them was pretty bad, but I thought one of them was very good, wasn't it? I do remember both gave us a hint that they would do something heavier again.

:lol: I remember one of them was pretty bad, but I thought one of them was very good, wasn't it? I do remember both gave us a hint that they would do something heavier again.

Nah they were both pretty rough, especially compared to this new disc. They were heavier and had that modern production sound again that they used on "Hear'Say" - which is a slight irony as the "Timeless" (best of..) album had 16 songs on it from their 5 albums (before the new one) and there wasn't a single song from "Hear'Say" on it. So clearly it isn't a band or record-label fave album...

Just because I'm bored, here's my Bad Habit "best of..":-

1. Need Somebody (from "Young & Innocent" EP)

2. Coming Home (from "After Hours")

3. Rowena (from "After Hours")

4. Living on the Edge (from "After Hours")

5. More than a Feeling (from "After Hours")

6. Reach for the Sky (from "Revolution")

7. Another Night (from "Revolution")

8. Watching Over You (from "Revolution")

9. Hunger (from "Revolution")

10. Everytime I See You (from "Adult Orientation")

11. When the Sun Goes Down (from "Adult Orientation")

12. The Air That I Breathe (from "Hear'Say")

13. I Don't Want You (from "Above & Beyond")

14. I Need Someone (from "Above & Beyond")

I know that "Need Somebody" and "More than a Feeling" are hardly their best songs but they were the two songs that made their name...

P.s. I'm thinking of packing-up the above compilation to go head-to-head with AOR Heaven's rubbish version, maybe calling it "Timeless 2: Now for the Good Stuff..." or something. Leaving off the crap new songs which are a pathetic marketing attempt to attract fans who have all the studio songs.

If you insist:

1. Dreams Die Hard (Young and Innocent EP)

2. Young and Innocent (Young & Innocent EP)

3. Play the Game (After Hours)

4. Rowena (After Hours)

5. I Never Knew What Love Could Do (13 Years of Bad Habit)

6. Need Somebody (13 Years of Bad Habit)

7. Still in Love With You (Revolution)

8. Reach for the Sky (Revolution)

9. Another Night (Revolution)

10. Heart of Mine (Adult Orientation)

11. Miss it when it's Gone (Adult Orientation)

12. Girl (Adult Orientation)

13. I Don't Want You (Above & Beyond)

I would ideally like to leave a space or two for a re-listen of 'Hear-Say' and 'Above & Beyond' as I have to confess I'm a little rusty on those two. :)

But at least they're not just re-writing the same songs over & over anymore, and any AOR fan should really own each & every Bad Habit album IMO...

apart from the fact that the first track sounds exactly like 'Hunger' ;-)

I have to agree that it's fairly close to HUnger which is one of my favorite BH songs.

I know that "Need Somebody" and "More than a Feeling" are hardly their best songs but they were the two songs that made their name...

You do realise that 'More Than A Feeling' is a cover (Boston).....Im assuming??

Also my take on 'Reach For The Sky'....perfect verses (totally awesome in every way shape and form)....silly sickly sweet girly chorus....what more can I say??

Im surprised that neither you or Geoff rate 'Sad But True' off 'Revolution'?? Great song IMO.

Also my take on 'Reach For The Sky'....perfect verses (totally awesome in every way shape and form)....silly sickly sweet girly chorus....what more can I say??

Im surprised that neither you or Geoff rate 'Sad But True' off 'Revolution'?? Great song IMO.

Yeah of course I know it's a cover (I know I'm not a big fan of very early 80's stuff but I didn't live on the Moon for the first 10 years of my life!), but it has to be on a compilation album as it was the song that launched them really. "Need Somebody" was a hit in Sweden but they broke-out after people started talking about their cover of "More than a Feeling" (this is how Kerrang!'s Derek Oliver picked up on them).

"Reach for the Sky" is stunning IMO. Sickly choruses are pretty fine with me, there are plenty of those on "After Hours" too. That one and "Another Night" are the big songs off "Revolution", but - as Geoff says - aside from the title track it's all pretty awesome. "Sad But True" is great too but I wouldn't pick it...

Yeah of course I know it's a cover (I know I'm not a big fan of very early 80's stuff but I didn't live on the Moon for the first 10 years of my life!), but it has to be on a compilation album as it was the song that launched them really. "Need Somebody" was a hit in Sweden but they broke-out after people started talking about their cover of "More than a Feeling" (this is how Kerrang!'s Derek Oliver picked up on them).

"Reach for the Sky" is stunning IMO. Sickly choruses are pretty fine with me, there are plenty of those on "After Hours" too. That one and "Another Night" are the big songs off "Revolution", but - as Geoff says - aside from the title track it's all pretty awesome. "Sad But True" is great too but I wouldn't pick it...

'Another Night' is their best song IMO.......ridiculous hook.

I do have to say this album is growing on me a lot. "Fantasy" is amazing, and although there are some songs that sound them going-through-the-motions there are more killer tracks this time out than on "Above & Beyond"...

This would probably be a lonely opinion, but I think their best song is 'Still in Love With You'. Some fans of the band might not even know it off the top of their head, but it's a clear winner for me. For a band that write nothing but sickly love songs, it all gets pretty meaningless quickly. This song (and 'Rowena') are the only two songs they've ever recorded where it actually sounds like they mean it. :lol: It could be just as throwaway as the rest of their stuff to them, but to me it seems like the most sincere and heartfelt song they ever penned... plus it's just a stunning song anyway. :)

This would probably be a lonely opinion, but I think their best song is 'Still in Love With You'. Some fans of the band might not even know it off the top of their head, but it's a clear winner for me. For a band that write nothing but sickly love songs, it all gets pretty meaningless quickly. This song (and 'Rowena') are the only two songs they've ever recorded where it actually sounds like they mean it. :lol: It could be just as throwaway as the rest of their stuff to them, but to me it seems like the most sincere and heartfelt song they ever penned... plus it's just a stunning song anyway. :)

I must admit, I don't really remember "Still in Love with you" - isn't it a ballad? I don't think this band did ballads very well, luckily they've really steered clear of them on the past few albums. "Rowena" is a great song, but I find it hard picking top tunes from "After Hours" as they're all amazing. I agree with Glen about "Another Night" being their best tune...

I must admit, I don't really remember "Still in Love with you" - isn't it a ballad? I don't think this band did ballads very well, luckily they've really steered clear of them on the past few albums. "Rowena" is a great song, but I find it hard picking top tunes from "After Hours" as they're all amazing. I agree with Glen about "Another Night" being their best tune...

not only their best song, but one of the best AOR songs period. I have to say that 'Hunger' is not too far behind....perfect guitar solos in that song!

Im also LOVING 'Every Time You Cry'.......this song is just something special IMO.

Great album and right back on form after the disappointing last one. Only spun it 4 or 5 times, but everything is there that should be and some great tunes for sure.

No one has mentioned "To Love You" from Hear-Say which is by far my favorite song.....

I'll comment on it. I hate it. Sorry mate! Played that album this morning and I admire them for doing something a bit different but I don't think it worked at all, and the best 4 songs are the ones that sound like all their other stuff IMO. "The Air That I Breathe" is my pick...

No one has mentioned "To Love You" from Hear-Say which is by far my favorite song.....

I'll comment on it. I hate it. Sorry mate! Played that album this morning and I admire them for doing something a bit different but I don't think it worked at all, and the best 4 songs are the ones that sound like all their other stuff IMO. "The Air That I Breathe" is my pick...

Well I quite like the song... one of my faves off that album. :)

I just got hold of the new album as part of my latest order from AOR Heaven.

Whilst I love most of Bad Habits catalogue, for me, this is their best album yet. Excellent songs from start to finish. Not as good as last years Treat - Coup De Grace, but seriously not far off it. I'm looking forward to playing this one some more.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Been sitting on this probably since it was released.

Listening to it now for the first time, and this is the first Bad Habit album I've heard.

This is about as AOR as I get, and I have to say this is a pretty great album.

I have no idea why, but I'll Die For You reminds me in some ways of ABBA.
Go figure, that's kinda weird.