What are the really scary movies?

Faron

As a kid, I loved horror films, probably through to around 16 years old, watched everything there was to be watched once videos became popular.

We all have fears of being scared, what would you genuinely recommend as being a scary film.

Films I`ve thought were a little creepy or nightmarish are.......

Jacob`s Ladder

Pyscho

Psycho II

The Changeling

Suspiria

Probably loads more.

But no scary films

Paranormal Activity - but it must be watched late at night/early in the morning with all lights off, a quiet room, on your own or with just one other person. If you do that it will scare you.

The last movie that truly creeped me out was "THE OTHERS" with Nicole Kidman.

Paranormal Activity - but it must be watched late at night/early in the morning with all lights off, a quiet room, on your own or with just one other person. If you do that it will scare you.

My pal has just seen Paranormal Activity 2 and said it was better than the 1st (which was pretty darn good). She watches loads of horror but says this newie is one of the few that has made her JUMP!!! ARRGHH!

Always and forever...."The Exorcist" and the first "Alien". Both scared the crap out of me.

As a kid "Exorcist".

As a teenager "Candyman".

As an adult "Mothman Prophecies". Not really a horror movie but the fact that it was based on true events makes it even creepier.

Also "The Ring". I actually was counting the days down from 7 to zero. Not that I really thought anything was going to happen but damn that little girl was creepy as hell and it made me think about it after the fact which I guess is a sign of a good horror film.

As it happens, we are watching this one tonight, will report back, thanks for input. :tumbsup:

Loved this film

As it happens, we are watching this one tonight, will report back, thanks for input. :tumbsup:

Cool, I'll be interested to see the verdict as I've never seen that one. I love scary films, but sadly most horror films just make you jump a lot (which I think is different from being genuinely scary) or have lots of gore (which I find really boring). The only scary films that I can think of are:

Blair Witch Project (you love it or hate it, I thought it was bloody fantastic)

The Changeling (only seen the version with George C Scott, a seriously creepy film)

The Orphanage (great film, I think it was scary...)

My pal has just seen Paranormal Activity 2 and said it was better than the 1st (which was pretty darn good). She watches loads of horror but says this newie is one of the few that has made her JUMP!!! ARRGHH!

My son just said he heard the 2nd was better

Always and forever...."The Exorcist" and the first "Alien". Both scared the crap out of me.

Both brilliant classic films

As a kid "Exorcist".

As an adult "Mothman Prophecies". Not really a horror movie but the fact that it was based on true events makes it even creepier.

Also "The Ring". I actually was counting the days down from 7 to zero. Not that I really thought anything was going to happen but damn that little girl was creepy as hell and it made me think about it after the fact which I guess is a sign of a good horror film.

Not seen Mothman Prophecies or The Ring, liked the other two

Cool, I'll be interested to see the verdict as I've never seen that one. I love scary films, but sadly most horror films just make you jump a lot (which I think is different from being genuinely scary) or have lots of gore (which I find really boring). The only scary films that I can think of are:

The Changeling (only seen the version with George C Scott, a seriously creepy film)

I just don`t find films scary, I rarely jump and don`t like gore - lol

Blair Witch is great, creepy ending

The Changeling is excellent

The Orphanage was another great Spanish film

Definitely creepy, especially that ending where all the shouting happens when they find out...I won't give it away for those who haven't yet seen it. A very good film.

As a kid "Exorcist".

Not seen Mothman Prophecies or The Ring, liked the other two

I highly recommend both of those.

Sat with wife on sofa, all lights off.....

Paranormal Activity

Now that was a creepy film, especially in the right atmosphere, I went cold a couple of times.

I just don`t find films scary, I rarely jump and don`t like gore - lol

Blair Witch is great, creepy ending

The Changeling is excellent

The Orphanage was another great Spanish film

I do jump, horror films make me jump quite often, I just don't think making people jump is particularly clever and it's not scary as such; even comedy films can make you jump! The truly clever horror films create a scary atmosphere without you just waiting for the next time you're going to jump.

Glad you like the three films, all brilliant imo.

Will definitely have to check out Paranormal Activity after your comments.

• My Little Pony

True horror won't have you jumping, because you'll be frozen in terror. I don't recall ever be terrified. I might just watch a few of those to test my boundaries.

The Descent

Pet Sematary

Dead Silence

Here's a trailer for 'Dead Silence' because it's not so popular than the other ones. I really enjoyed this movie, really scary imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcbulUo4b2s

Yeah I'm a little confused with the exact meaning of this thread. I guess no movies ever "scare" me either. But ones I have found genuinely creepy would be:

'The Ring' ; good call, Wes. This film is creepy as hell.

'Paranormal Activity'

'Blair Witch Project'

There are others, but they're fresh on the brain after seeing this thread. I jump at a lot of movies, but they usually annoy me. Just because someone jumps from something you didn't expect, or a quiet scene suddenly turns up the volume, doesn't mean it's scary. Sure it makes me jump, but stuff like that actually annoys me more than anything else.