Who's the better Schenker?

Who's your favorite Schenker?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I was listening to some MSG the other day and I got to wondering which of the Schenker brothers I liked better? Who was a better songwriter? Guitarist? What if Rudolf left the Scorpions and went soloinstead of Michael? What if Michael stayed on with the Scorpions? Et Al...

I've listed/polled the obvious, but please add or speak up with other takes on this compelling topic...

For me: I've enjoyed Michaels work, preferred the McCaughley fronted stuff slightly more than the earlier work, but I have to say Rudolf's work with the Scorpions has been, IMHO, more enjoyable and obviously more commercially accepted.

Michael is way ahead a better player, although in the songwriting department I think he falls short compared to Rudolph.

Scorpions are a great band for sure with some classic albums, but I think Michaels work with UFO and the earlier stuff with MSG is overall better personally.

A Schenker Brothers album? Hell yes.

Michael is way ahead a better player, although in the songwriting department I think he falls short compared to Rudolph.

Scorpions are a great band for sure with some classic albums, but I think Michaels work with UFO and the earlier stuff with MSG is overall better personally.

A Schenker Brothers album? Hell yes.

1st and last paras - agree 100%.

I think overall I prefer Scorps to any MS bands though.

I honestly haven't heard enough of Michael's stuff to make the call one way or the other. I don't own any UFO or M.S.G. material and other than Iron Maiden using UFO's "Doctor, Doctor" as their intro tape the last couple of times I saw them, I haven't been exposed to much else.

Michael Schenkers time spent in the classic UFO of the 1970`s was his best period IMO, fantastic songs, he contributed to a lot of the great songs and his playing for me and maybe me only was the greatest I`ve ever heard in any genre of music.My favourite guitarist bar none.

Rudolph is legendary as one of the two main men in the Scorps, song writing credits are excellent, Scorps in the 70`s and very early 80`s were as good as any band out there.

Shame Michael went off the rails numerous times, seemed to scar his reputation.

I also don't know enough on the subject to vote, but I will say that I prefer Michael, based purely on the MSG/Contraband albums from the late 80's and early 90's. I also think he is the better player of the two and because of those albums I'll say I prefer his songwriting, but then again I don't really know the extent of Rudolf's contribution to all the Scorpions albums I like.

It really is a tough one because overall I actually prefer more albums with Rudolf on it than I do ones with Michael. But I do prefer Michael's sound/style. An album featuring the two of them? I dunno, there's been a lot of awful stuff from Michael since 1992...

Michael while a better player is not as good at songwriting as Rudolf.

I prefer the Scorpions to MSG but like a lot of the early MSG and the later McCauley stuff. I wouldn't really care to much about a Schenker brothers release unless they had a great singer on it.

Love all of Michael's output with UFO and the early MSG releases are great but his latter material has been hit and miss for me,Rudy is the better song writer while Michael is the better player not to say Rudy is lacking in that department as he's not and a cd from the bros would be cool.Rudy's work with the Scorpions is also classic stuff.

You can't ask me a question like this! Just joking! Seriously, I agree with Jez on this one, almost. Perhaps Rudy is a better songwriter but on the other hand, listen to Scorps - Animal Magnetism and the first MSG. Schenker/Barden is/was a graet team!

• 2 months later...