H.E.A.T. - Freedom Rock (2010)

JC_AOR

Would I offend everyone in this thread if I was to state that this cd bores the shit out of me? :whistle:

Seriously though I did try to give it a listen but maybe I just wasn't in the mood. :anon:

Definitely did not offend me. :whistle: This bores me also. I kept thinking I was listening to the soundtrack to Karate Kid XV featuring Macchio in his 70s.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would I offend everyone in this thread if I was to state that this cd bores the shit out of me? :whistle:

Seriously though I did try to give it a listen but maybe I just wasn't in the mood. :anon:

Definitely did not offend me. :whistle: This bores me also. I kept thinking I was listening to the soundtrack to Karate Kid XV featuring Macchio in his 70s.

wow, i'll have to pick up that soundtrack, sounds awesome ;-)

Straight to the 50p DVD bin. :P

Straight to the 50p DVD bin. :P

i rarely pay more mate ;-)

Favorite tracks so far -

Nobody Loves You (Like I Do)

backed. biggest and best hook on the album. i find myself singing that song more than any other.

seriously good, and the solo is killer too.

I still dont like that track at all - one I skip every time. That Hammond Organ thing is no substitute for real keyboards IMO and it just sounds out of place...

Favorite tracks so far -

backed. biggest and best hook on the album. i find myself singing that song more than any other.

I still dont like that track at all - one I skip every time. That Hammond Organ thing is no substitute for real keyboards IMO and it just sounds out of place...

Just love that hook in the chorus...a song youre along to before it ends for the first time....i love that.

In fact the 5 song run from 'We're Gonna Make It In The End' to 'I Know What It Takes' is the best ive heard in at least 10 years

Favorite tracks so far -

Just love that hook in the chorus...a song youre along to before it ends for the first time....i love that.

In fact the 5 song run from 'We're Gonna Make It In The End' to 'I Know What It Takes' is the best ive heard in at least 10 years

yeah very much agreeing with you there. :beerbang:

Favorite tracks so far -

Don't quite get your point that a Hammond Organ is no substitute for real keyboards? The Hammond was the original keyboard.

Been spinning this all day now and it is really very very good indeed. I will say regarding the different mix etc that there is absolutely no need for the guitars be turned up anymore here, The mix is excellent the way it is and should be left well alone imo. Maybe a a touch more 'Ooomph' needed in the drum and bass department if anything, but certainly not the guitars.

Favorite tracks so far -

Don't quite get your point that a Hammond Organ is no substitute for real keyboards? The Hammond was the original keyboard.

Yeah, but they do sound totally different. Regardless of what came first or not, I generally don't like keyboards either, but I'd marry one if it was compared to a hammond organ, which I despise. HATE the sound of them. It's part of the reason I'd use Tim's organ comments for the only song I dislike on this; 'Black night'. Just doesn't sound like HEAT at all.

Been spinning this all day now and it is really very very good indeed. I will say regarding the different mix etc that there is absolutely no need for the guitars be turned up anymore here, The mix is excellent the way it is and should be left well alone imo. Maybe a a touch more 'Ooomph' needed in the drum and bass department if anything, but certainly not the guitars.

I'd still like to hear a bit beefier guitars, but I definitely agree with you more about the drums. A little softly spoken at times and would love to hear them beefed up quite a bit. Still, the songs are awesome. :)

Favorite tracks so far -

Yeah, but they do sound totally different. Regardless of what came first or not, I generally don't like keyboards either, but I'd marry one if it was compared to a hammond organ, which I despise. HATE the sound of them. It's part of the reason I'd use Tim's organ comments for the only song I dislike on this; 'Black night'. Just doesn't sound like HEAT at all.

I'd still like to hear a bit beefier guitars, but I definitely agree with you more about the drums. A little softly spoken at times and would love to hear them beefed up quite a bit. Still, the songs are awesome. :)

I dont quite get these comments about 'Black Night'.

Im in total agreement that Sammet should never have been allowed to sing on this album, but for me the chorus and harmonies in the chorus is 100% HEAT...through and through. I also think that the chorus is pretty damned good actually and one I find myself singing on regular occasions.

If I was to choose the weakest song, I would go for 'Beg Beg Beg', because whilst it is a good song, it is actually rather annoying after a while. Also not quite 'rock' enough for me...more on the poppy side which aint a good thing imo.

Overall tho the album is pretty fantastic and i'd probably rate it somewhere between 90-95%, which for me is unusual as for example my fav from last year, WET, i'd give not more than 90%.

Cheers

Favorite tracks so far -

Im in total agreement that Sammet should never have been allowed to sing on this album, but for me the chorus and harmonies in the chorus is 100% HEAT...through and through. I also think that the chorus is pretty damned good actually and one I find myself singing on regular occasions.

If I was to choose the weakest song, I would go for 'Beg Beg Beg', because whilst it is a good song, it is actually rather annoying after a while. Also not quite 'rock' enough for me...more on the poppy side which aint a good thing imo.

Overall tho the album is pretty fantastic and i'd probably rate it somewhere between 90-95%, which for me is unusual as for example my fav from last year, WET, i'd give not more than 90%.

Cheers

Yeah, to me 'Black night' sounds like the heavily bluesy rubbish some of the hard rock bands toss around these days. The chorus may be okay, but still the worst on the CD, imo, and easily the weak link on the CD.

I love 'Beg, beg, beg' - yeah... just love that tune. :)

Favorite tracks so far -

I have to say that listening to this track today, Im amazed that the hammond organ puts you off. I mean it features in the song to such a miniscule amount that you really have to listen to even notice it.

All I hear is awesome vocals, chorus and a killer guitar solo.................[oh, and a smidgeon of hammond organ ;-)].

So my copy wasn't on back order...YOUPI!!!!

After giving it a few spins, I find myself enjoying this one quite a bit, no real surprise. I prefer it as whole over the debut. Is it the best release of 2010, not sure yet. My favorite release to date this year is Treat's Coup De Grace and after having that one for nearly 2 months I'm still loving it, more than any other release I've picked up so far this year. Freedom Rock has all the right ingredients, but it's not nearly as flawless as Treat. Some filler tracks like Black Night and Living In A Memory don't make the cut and I find myself skipping them after only a few spins.

I simply have a feeling by year's end that the Treat will still be within reach of my cd player and that most of Freedom Rock will have been forgotten and I'll have moved one.

I am anxious to make a compilation of the best from both releases, that mix will be frequently be enjoyed in my car...one thing's for sure I'm not bringing this 28$ cd anywhere near my dirty vehicule.

I simply have a feeling by year's end that the Treat will still be within reach of my cd player and that most of Freedom Rock will have been forgotten and I'll have moved one.

if anything mate, its treat thats on the back burner...the middle section of treat is weak imo, whereas the middle 5 or 6 songs on HEAT are simply awesome.

Favorite tracks so far -

Cheers

Yeah, to me 'Black night' sounds like the heavily bluesy rubbish some of the hard rock bands toss around these days. The chorus may be okay, but still the worst on the CD, imo, and easily the weak link on the CD.

I love 'Beg, beg, beg' - yeah... just love that tune. :)

'heavily bluesy rubbish' heavily bluesy is a sound I love.

if anything mate, its treat thats on the back burner...the middle section of treat is weak imo, whereas the middle 5 or 6 songs on HEAT are simply awesome.

Just doesn't have the substance or meat that the Treat has. Given the ballad on the Treat is meatless, a pure vegetarian dish, however Skies Of Mongolia can in no way, shape or form be called weak.

H.E.A.T. is like finding a new hot sauce, it's exciting at first and you freak over it for awhile but eventually go back to what you used to reach for before.

Just doesn't have the substance or meat that the Treat has. Given the ballad on the Treat is meatless, a pure vegetarian dish, however Skies Of Mongolia can in no way, shape or form be called weak.

H.E.A.T. is like finding a new hot sauce, it's exciting at first and you freak over it for awhile but eventually go back to what you used to reach for before.

well its still stunning the socks off me after about 20 spins, and i cant see that changing to be honest mate. Keeps getting better if anything.

I read an interview with the guitarist in the weekend. The album was supposedly remixed since the japanese wanted the guitars higher in the mix. This is why the album was delayed. The original mix off Beg beg beg was on the Sweden Rock Magazine cd.

So my copy wasn't on back order...YOUPI!!!!

After giving it a few spins, I find myself enjoying this one quite a bit, no real surprise. I prefer it as whole over the debut. Is it the best release of 2010, not sure yet. My favorite release to date this year is Treat's Coup De Grace and after having that one for nearly 2 months I'm still loving it, more than any other release I've picked up so far this year. Freedom Rock has all the right ingredients, but it's not nearly as flawless as Treat. Some filler tracks like Black Night and Living In A Memory don't make the cut and I find myself skipping them after only a few spins.

I am anxious to make a compilation of the best from both releases, that mix will be frequently be enjoyed in my car...one thing's for sure I'm not bringing this 28$ cd anywhere near my dirty vehicule.

Yeah I kinda think you might be right. I've played H.E.A.T about 20 times right through now and am not sure I'll pick it up again for a while, whereas TREAT wasn't nearly as instant. That said, I do think the H.E.A.T has better quality songs overall and the mid-section of the disc is stunning. There are at least a couple of obvious fillers on both discs but I'd rank each of the top 3 or 4 songs on H.E.A.T as better than anything on the TREAT disc...

Intresting to see so many different opinions about the songs here. To me, "Danger Road" is easily one of the best songs on this, KILLER track. I love "Black Night" too and I actually think Tobias Sammet's vocals work pretty well on this song. The weakest songs are stuff like "We're Gonna Make It To The End" and "I Know What It Takes" which sounds like ordinary predictable AOR, although far from bad. All in all this is another killer AOR/MHR album and a worthy follow-up to the debut.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reading that the lead singer has left the band!?!?! That would be a shame for such a promising young act. I can't confirm it, let's just hope it's just a rumour. :unsure:

I've been reading that the lead singer has left the band!?!?! That would be a shame for such a promising young act. I can't confirm it, let's just hope it's just a rumour. :unsure:

Yeah I just read that too....a pisser.

At least I got to see them live.

Hopefully they can find a replacement and carry on??

it is true, kenny leckremo is no longer the lead singer of H.E.A.T. A damn shame, as i was looking forward to see them live this summer... it will be hard to replace such a great voice.

glad some people here actually give a shit....most posters over at Melrock couldnt give a toss.....weirdos.