02 – Black Night

03 – Danger Road

04 – Shelter

05 – We’re Gonna Make It To The End

06 – Stay

07 – Nobody Loves You (Like I Do)

08 – Everybody Wants To Be Someone

09 – I Know What It Takes

10 – Living In A Memory (Japan Bonus Track)

11 – Cast Away

12 – I Can’t Look The Other Way

13 – Who Will Stop The Rain

14 – Tonight (Japan Bonus Track)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been out in Japan for about a week now. I've placed an order on the cdjapan website. After listening to it once I'd say it's better than the debut and I shouldn't comment too much after just one spin but I'd say album of the year (so far). Yes, better than the excellent Treat - Coup De Grace.

It's been out in Japan for about a week now. I've placed an order on the cdjapan website. After listening to it once I'd say it's better than the debut and I shouldn't comment too much after just one spin but I'd say album of the year (so far). Yes, better than the excellent Treat - Coup De Grace.

Yeah I got the Jap version too, though the bonus tracks are nothing amazing. This is a massive improvement from the debut which was vastly overrated by one and all, and it's noticeably more AOR (which may not be to some people's tastes). Even the songs that don't have a killer chorus have a big hook/pre-chorus that wins you over, though the choruses are generally more subtle/laid-back on this album. The only real negatives are the opening few songs which are only okay, but further into the disc are some real gems - and the vocals and harmonies are noticeably better and more powerful this time around too. Not sure I'm going to prefer this to TREAT personally, though have only played it once right through, but it is very good and miles better than the debut IMO.

Yeah I got the Jap version too, though the bonus tracks are nothing amazing. This is a massive improvement from the debut which was vastly overrated by one and all, and it's noticeably more AOR (which may not be to some people's tastes). Even the songs that don't have a killer chorus have a big hook/pre-chorus that wins you over, though the choruses are generally more subtle/laid-back on this album. The only real negatives are the opening few songs which are only okay, but further into the disc are some real gems - and the vocals and harmonies are noticeably better and more powerful this time around too. Not sure I'm going to prefer this to TREAT personally, though have only played it once right through, but it is very good and miles better than the debut IMO.

From where did you guys order from to get the Jap version and how much was it? The track listing looks better than the other version I've seen, this one doesn't seem to have the filler track High On Love.

From where did you guys order from to get the Jap version and how much was it? The track listing looks better than the other version I've seen, this one doesn't seem to have the filler track High On Love.

From AOR Heaven. Wasn't cheap, but I got a load of other stuff too so the shipping was okay (plus I live in Europe anyway!)

I ordered from CD Japan

Not real cheap - about $30 Aussie dollars + postage but I couldn't wait.

Apparently there's just 1 copy left - there was 3 about an hour ago. Don't know what's up with that.

I for one didn't think their debut was overated! Each to their own.

I read one review that called it the greatest Scandinavian release ever. Presumably that review was written in swedish and someone had used one of the free internet translation sites and got it all wrong. :unsure:

I for one didn't think their debut was overated! Each to their own.

I read one review that called it the greatest Scandinavian release ever. Presumably that review was written in swedish and someone had used one of the free internet translation sites and got it all wrong. :unsure:

i wouldnt say it was the greatest, but might be pushing my top 10. i think its a great album.

This is a massive improvement from the debut which was vastly overrated by one and all

Tim, as a matter of interest have you heard the re-recorded version of the debut (inc 1000 Miles).

The songs are much much better on the newer version, better production, better solos everything.

IMO.

After about 4-5 spins this is my take on the disc....

1. Beg Beg Beg - Killer uptempo opener with big chorus,strange choice as single though...

2. Black Night - Awful guest vocalist alert (who sings those verses?). Strong chorus rescues this one.

3. Danger Road - Another uptempo rocky tune. It's good but pales against the songs to come.

4. Shelter - Stunning/flawless ballad,the second half of this song is amazing. Love the solo.

5. We’re Gonna Make It To The End - A big highlight. Lush AOR,hooky verses and a HUGE chorus. Love it.

6. Stay - Killer AOR. This song builds brilliantly,love the pre-chorus then the chorus is AOR heaven.

7. Nobody Loves You (Like I Do) - The only filler IMO. It's not awful but just average Hard Rock.

8. Everybody Wants To Be Someone - This bands best ever tune.Lush Journey-esque MONSTER of a song.

9. I Know What It Takes - Another Killer. Pure AOR bliss,utterly brilliant chorus & solo.

10. Living In A Memory (Jap) - Momentum killed. Nice intro but subtler hi-tech AOR feel. Average.

11. Cast Away - Pure gem,ultra-catchy AOR chorus and another magnificent solo.

12. I Can’t Look The Other Way - Yet another huge chorus. Lots of keys & awesome vocals/solo (again).

13. Who Will Stop The Rain - More keyboard-heavy AOR, and another big hooky chorus.

14. Tonight (Jap) - Pure 80's Scandi AOR here. Totally awesome/essential closing song.

This is pretty damn fantastic IMO. Again they sound strangely American-ised and not similar to the other Scandi bands (like BROTHER FIRETRIBE) at all. This one is much lighter and more keyboard-heavy than the debut, and fans of that disc aren't guaranteed to love this one. Personally that disc failed to excite me much and I never thought they had an album like this in them. Particularly not a song like "Everybody Wants to be Someone" which - without wanting to overhype - is seriously about the best song I've heard in 15 years. Journey fans will have kittens over it. Even the mighty new TREAT disc struggles to get stereo-time these days, and overall I'd probably rate this about 9.5/10.

1. Beg Beg Beg - Killer uptempo opener with big chorus,strange choice as single though...

2. Black Night - Awful guest vocalist alert (who sings those verses?). Strong chorus rescues this one.

3. Danger Road - Another uptempo rocky tune. It's good but pales against the songs to come.

4. Shelter - Stunning/flawless ballad,the second half of this song is amazing. Love the solo.

5. Were Gonna Make It To The End - A big highlight. Lush AOR,hooky verses and a HUGE chorus. Love it.

6. Stay - Killer AOR. This song builds brilliantly,love the pre-chorus then the chorus is AOR heaven.

7. Nobody Loves You (Like I Do) - The only filler IMO. It's not awful but just average Hard Rock.

8. Everybody Wants To Be Someone - This bands best ever tune.Lush Journey-esque MONSTER of a song.

9. I Know What It Takes - Another Killer. Pure AOR bliss,utterly brilliant chorus & solo.

10. Living In A Memory (Jap) - Momentum killed. Nice intro but subtler hi-tech AOR feel. Average.

12. I Cant Look The Other Way - Yet another huge chorus. Lots of keys & awesome vocals/solo (again).

13. Who Will Stop The Rain - More keyboard-heavy AOR, and another big hooky chorus.

14. Tonight (Jap) - Pure 80's Scandi AOR here. Totally awesome/essential closing song.

This is pretty damn fantastic IMO. Again they sound strangely American-ised and not similar to the other Scandi bands (like BROTHER FIRETRIBE) at all. This one is much lighter and more keyboard-heavy than the debut, and fans of that disc aren't guaranteed to love this one. Personally that disc failed to excite me much and I never thought they had an album like this in them. Particularly not a song like "Everybody Wants to be Someone" which - without wanting to overhype - is seriously about the best song I've heard in 15 years. Journey fans will have kittens over it. Even the mighty new TREAT disc struggles to get stereo-time these days, and overall I'd probably rate this about 9.5/10.

For a man who only really liked the brilliant ''Follow Me'' from the first one, your review has me salivating to hear it.

For a man who only really liked the brilliant ''Follow Me'' from the first one, your review has me salivating to hear it.

Yeah that was my fave from the debut. That's the direction this album's taken, but there are at least 5 songs on this album as good as "Follow Me" - and definitely at least two better ("We're Gonna Make It" and "Everybody Wants to be Someone").

Yeah that was my fave from the debut. That's the direction this album's taken, but there are at least 5 songs on this album as good as "Follow Me" - and definitely at least two better ("We're Gonna Make It" and "Everybody Wants to be Someone").

HOLY SHITBALLS!!!! I just went on YouTube to listen to "Everybody Wants To Be Someone"....this has gone straight to the top of the heap of great tracks for 2010.

I've been through 6-7 songs and this one will likely number 1 at the end of 2010. It pains me to believe that the brilliant Treat will finish 2nd, but it just might. WOW!!!! I'm stocked!!!

5. We’re Gonna Make It To The End - A big highlight. Lush AOR,hooky verses and a HUGE chorus. Love it.

12. I Can’t Look The Other Way - Yet another huge chorus. Lots of keys & awesome vocals/solo (again).

this review is something I can agree on but I wont call Nobody Loves You (Like I Do) a filler.

HOLY SHITBALLS!!!! I just went on YouTube to listen to "Everybody Wants To Be Someone"....this has gone straight to the top of the heap of great tracks for 2010.

I've been through 6-7 songs and this one will likely number 1 at the end of 2010. It pains me to believe that the brilliant Treat will finish 2nd, but it just might. WOW!!!! I'm stocked!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO5e7TCE8HA (Everybody Wants to be Someone)

(We're Gonna Make It)

Have posted the link above if anyone else wants to hear this gem. Almost a perfect AOR tune IMO, love it when the guitar solo kicks-in. The fact that it's only marginally the best song on this disc tells you how good the others songs are...

this review is something I can agree on but I wont call Nobody Loves You (Like I Do) a filler.

Maybe in isolation it isn't. Trouble is the two songs that follow it are so stunning - and it really is one of the weaker tracks - that I can't help myself from skipping it. Says more about the quality of the surrounding tracks than that song in particular...

Maybe in isolation it isn't. Trouble is the two songs that follow it are so stunning - and it really is one of the weaker tracks - that I can't help myself from skipping it. Says more about the quality of the surrounding tracks than that song in particular...

I agree with that but imho the H.E.A.T's new album is without fillers :)

The track in particular i9s a bit of a grower too imho, give it a bit more chance & I reckon you'll lift it off the filler basket :)

Nobody Loves You, a filler. Ive heard it all now.

That song is fan - bloody - tastic and probably my fav on the whole album.

Totally killer is every way.

Wow, this is pretty awesome. I wasn't fully concentrating and I'm only up to track 10, but it all sounded great. As Tim said earlier, gets off to a slow start with 'Black night' (Is that Tobias Headface from Edguy in the verses?) and 'Danger road', which are easily the 2 weakest songs I heard on it... but other than that it sounds excellent.

That I think, is explained because you like the tougher-sounding songs. It's the more pure AOR tunes with the big melodies that really do it for me. This song in particular reminds me of the debut, which is not a good thing.

Whilst I don't agree with either of you matchstick men, I will agree with Glen that 'Nobody Loves You (Like I Do)' is a much better track than 'Everybody Wants To Be Someone' which is just middle-range, imo, and there are about half a dozen better songs off both this and the debut. :) To me it sounded like a weaker version of 'We belong together' from Norum/Tempest. It's a great song (like most the CD), but not what I expected from the above comments.

Now, that said, this CD is really excellent. 'Black night' is really quite shithouse and I'm pissed off by the fact that when I buy this CD (the normal version) I will be stuck with this shitty track, which is not sung by the lead singer from HEAT, does not sound like HEAT and quite frankly is a waste of time. But I will be stuck with this waste of space while Japanese people and millionaires own one of the band's best songs ever; 'Tonight'. Pretty frustrating.

Anyway, my favourite songs are:

We’re Gonna Make It To The End

Stay

I know what it takes

Cast away

Tonight

They're the top five for me and most the rest are pretty equal, with 'Living In A Memory' being my least fave of the awesome tracks, and 'Black night' being, by far, the worst song on the CD. I ended up prefering 'Danger Road' much more than my initial impression suggested.

Now, I really hope someone doesn't get me started on these divided clowns. Half the clowns love the debut but don't like this? Then the other half love this and don't like the debut (Yeah, I'm talking about you, Tim ;):lol:). I don't know if these chumps are just looking for a bite, but there is no big difference between these two albums that these jesters would have you believe. HEAT offered excellent melodic rock with a touch of AOR on the debut, and do exactly the same here. This album, imo, is more consistent, but anyone who tells you one is garbage and the other is a jewel is way off the mark, imo. Both are excellent albums.