H.E.A.T. - Freedom Rock (2010)

JC_AOR

Nobody Loves You, a filler. Ive heard it all now.

That song is fan - bloody - tastic and probably my fav on the whole album.

Totally killer is every way.

Whilst I don't agree with either of you matchstick men, I will agree with Glen that 'Nobody Loves You (Like I Do)' is a much better track than 'Everybody Wants To Be Someone' which is just middle-range, imo, and there are about half a dozen better songs off both this and the debut. :) To me it sounded like a weaker version of 'We belong together' from Norum/Tempest. It's a great song (like most the CD), but not what I expected from the above comments.

Now, that said, this CD is really excellent. 'Black night' is really quite shithouse and I'm pissed off by the fact that when I buy this CD (the normal version) I will be stuck with this shitty track, which is not sung by the lead singer from HEAT, does not sound like HEAT and quite frankly is a waste of time. But I will be stuck with this waste of space while Japanese people and millionaires own one of the band's best songs ever; 'Tonight'. Pretty frustrating.

Anyway, my favourite songs are:

We’re Gonna Make It To The End

Stay

I know what it takes

Cast away

Tonight

They're the top five for me and most the rest are pretty equal, with 'Living In A Memory' being my least fave of the awesome tracks, and 'Black night' being, by far, the worst song on the CD. I ended up prefering 'Danger Road' much more than my initial impression suggested.

Now, I really hope someone doesn't get me started on these divided clowns. Half the clowns love the debut but don't like this? Then the other half love this and don't like the debut (Yeah, I'm talking about you, Tim ;):lol:). I don't know if these chumps are just looking for a bite, but there is no big difference between these two albums that these jesters would have you believe. HEAT offered excellent melodic rock with a touch of AOR on the debut, and do exactly the same here. This album, imo, is more consistent, but anyone who tells you one is garbage and the other is a jewel is way off the mark, imo. Both are excellent albums.

I was really just trying to be helpful to people buying this as to the direction it's obviously taken. Those who liked songs like "Follow Me" and "Bring the Stars" (i.e, AOR) from the debut will love the direction of this one. Those who liked stuff like "Late Night Lady", "You're Lying" or "Feel the Heat" from the debut might find it all a bit lightweight. IMHO the debut was Melodic Hard Rock, this album is AOR all-the-way. Plus this album really validates my comments from the first album (which I didn't think was "garbage", just a really good 7/10) are justified by this new album - that this band have the ability to make a truly stunning album and don't need to pad their albums out with filler. Which they've now rectified...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive listened to this a few times now and for me this is easily the best album so far this year. I mean I love the Treat album, but I was surprised at how much I prefer this to the new Treat. I reckon there are at least 4 or 5 songs on HEAT which are better than anything on Treat.

& no shitty accent either ;-)

I actually dont mind 'Black Night', but I wish the guy from HEAT sang it and not Sammet (his vox are pretty dodgy at the best of times). 'Living In A Memory' is a 'weaker' track as well but I still really like it. Everything else is pretty much sublime cross over AOR to melodic rock style with at least 4 or 5 totally killer songs which destroy the competition this year.

IMHO of course.

Ive listened to this a few times now and for me this is easily the best album so far this year. I mean I love the Treat album, but I was surprised at how much I prefer this to the new Treat. I reckon there are at least 4 or 5 songs on HEAT which are better than anything on Treat.

& no shitty accent either ;-)

I actually dont mind 'Black Night', but I wish the guy from HEAT sang it and not Sammet (his vox are pretty dodgy at the best of times). 'Living In A Memory' is a 'weaker' track as well but I still really like it. Everything else is pretty much sublime cross over AOR to melodic rock style with at least 4 or 5 totally killer songs which destroy the competition this year.

IMHO of course.

Yeah backed. The chorus to "Black Night" is good and rescues it, but the verses are godawful. Given how much I like the H.E.A.T vocalist (think the better production helps him on this disc) it's sacrilege to let some other clown sing on this...

I still can't believe Geoff isn't freakin' about 'Everybody Wants To Be Someone'. I think when it comes to the prefered sound of H.E.A.T. I'm more into the AOR styled tracks TIM enjoys.

It's still no fair that you guys have this and I haven't even ordered it....I feel left out,beaten, battered, bruised, cold and lonely...hugs anyone???

Just ordered a copy. I wasn't going to bother with the Jap version, but seeing as all the EP tracks are on it, then worth a punt I think.

I still can't believe Geoff isn't freakin' about 'Everybody Wants To Be Someone'. I think when it comes to the prefered sound of H.E.A.T. I'm more into the AOR styled tracks TIM enjoys.

It's still no fair that you guys have this and I haven't even ordered it....I feel left out,beaten, battered, bruised, cold and lonely...hugs anyone???

Don't worry mate, you'll just be listening to this and dribbling incoherently while the rest of us are bored shitless of it!

Just ordered a copy. I wasn't going to bother with the Jap version, but seeing as all the EP tracks are on it, then worth a punt I think.

Assume "Tonight" is one of those? If so then it definitely tips the balance as is a top-notch song, but I really could've done without "Living In A Memory" which just kills the momentum. The running order on the JAP version is much better too as the fillers are poorly placed on the Swedish/Eur version (though that one does have a nicely coloured cover, missing on the JAP version)...

1. Okay Tim, please humour me a second. Am I on a mindtrip, or in the past (at the time of the debut) did you not say you hated the vocalist? And also, when the 'Beg beg beg' EP/single was released, didn't you say you hated 'Tonight'? You're tripping me out you crazy English Mindtripper.

2. Dave, 'Everybody Wants To Be Someone' is a great track, but like I said, nowhere near the best on the CD. It'd be in the bottom half for me, but that's one hell of a high quality bottom half. Probably the same story as 'Follow me'. For whatever reason you and Tim are deadset on that song, while the rest of the world know 'Bring the stars', 'Never Let Go', 'Keep On Dreaming', 'Cry', 'Feel It Again' and even, imo 'There for you' are all vastly superior songs off the debut. ;)

3. Yes Dave, I will hug you.

4. Yeah, I couldn't even really get into the chorus on 'Black night' either. Nothing about the song gels with me. As I said above, regardless of the quality of the song or not, it just doesn't sound like HEAT. It's not their style at all.

5. I agree 'Living In A Memory' is a "weaker" song, but what an awesome "weak" song to have. Love the 2nd half of the chorus. Still a great tune.

Great disc.

It looks like the Swedish prtessing thats about to come out will have the guitars turned right up, wonder what affect will this have on the songs :)

That's pretty interesting...where did you read that?

Was all geared up to order the Jap version, but may have to wait now to see what this version sounds like.

Anything like the difference between the debut and the re-issue and it could be worth going for......

It looks like the Swedish prtessing thats about to come out will have the guitars turned right up, wonder what affect will this have on the songs :)

Was all geared up to order the Jap version, but may have to wait now to see what this version sounds like.

Anything like the difference between the debut and the re-issue and it could be worth going for......

A friend of mine was played the supposed Swedish pressing along with demos whilst at the German shows by the band.

He mentioned the songs sound different & you can really hear the difference and also this version with the guitars turned up was handed to the Jaspanese label & was rejected. The Japanese label asked the band to have the guitars turned down for them to release it.

There's supposedly a song on the Swedish pressing thats not on the Japanese pressing too.

A friend of mine was played the supposed Swedish pressing along with demos whilst at the German shows by the band.

He mentioned the songs sound different & you can really hear the difference and also this version with the guitars turned up was handed to the Jaspanese label & was rejected. The Japanese label asked the band to have the guitars turned down for them to release it.

There's supposedly a song on the Swedish pressing thats not on the Japanese pressing too.

I think the song that's missing on the Jap version is the filler track called High On Love. Not worth it to fork out extra cash for that lame track. I'm happy it's not on the Jap version that I finally ordered today. 28$, it better kick ass. I wish they had signed to Frontiers and this cd was only 15$. Twice as much better mean twice as good.

I think the song that's missing on the Jap version is the filler track called High On Love. Not worth it to fork out extra cash for that lame track. I'm happy it's not a the Jap version that I finally ordered today. 28$, it better kick ass. I wish they had signed to Frontiers and this cd was only 15$. Twice as much better mean twice as good.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know why these guys aren't signed with Frontiers? Obviously I don't know much, but surely Frontiers have the most money to spend and this band would have to be in their sights, surely? It took me about 2 years to eventually find an affordable copy of the debut, and I'd be pissed off if that happens again.

As for more guitars on the Euro version, that excites me. Nothing wrong with the Jap version, but bigger guitars sure wouldn't hurt at all.

Jeez I love 'Danger road'.

I think the song that's missing on the Jap version is the filler track called High On Love. Not worth it to fork out extra cash for that lame track. I'm happy it's not a the Jap version that I finally ordered today. 28$, it better kick ass. I wish they had signed to Frontiers and this cd was only 15$. Twice as much better mean twice as good.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know why these guys aren't signed with Frontiers? Obviously I don't know much, but surely Frontiers have the most money to spend and this band would have to be in their sights, surely? It took me about 2 years to eventually find an affordable copy of the debut, and I'd be pissed off if that happens again.

As for more guitars on the Euro version, that excites me. Nothing wrong with the Jap version, but bigger guitars sure wouldn't hurt at all.

Frontiers seem the logical way for bands to release thier albums on but perhaps thier offers weren't matched by the other labels. This may be the case with White Widdow among a few others.

out of interest Geoff, did you pick up the re-released version of the debut with bonus 1,000 miles?? The songs sound a mile better on that version.

I think im gonna wait til the Euro version hits Spotify before I buy as whilst that extra track is a piece of shite filler, I might actually opt for the 'guitars turned up' option. If the difference is as great as on the debut then it will be worth it.

& yeah 'Danger Road' is awesome.....as is the rest of it :-))

Favorite tracks so far -

Nobody Loves You (Like I Do)

backed. biggest and best hook on the album. i find myself singing that song more than any other.

seriously good, and the solo is killer too.

Completely irrelevant observation:

I know nothing of H.E.A.T., but here in the U.S. "FREEDOM ROCK" was the name of a classic-rock compilation album that was sold on TV during the mid to late '80s. This commercial ran for years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eGWW8KOQio

...so of course, when I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of those two hippies. "Hey man, is that FREEDOM ROCK?" "Yeah man." "Well TURN IT UP MAN!" :rofl:

...sorry. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :lol:

CRAP!!! Only getting a partial package from NEH, It's been delayed for 10 days, out of stock (no suprise there!!!). At least it will give me a chance to absorb the Chris Laney and Crashdiet before the H.E.A.T. arrives.....in like June :crying:

Very good album and very cool guys.

I still prefer Treat and Reckless love.

Saturday on stage toghether, Treat and Heat play World of promises.

For some picks (there are The Poodles too).

http://rnr.forumcommunity.net/?t=35714557&st=15

out of interest Geoff, did you pick up the re-released version of the debut with bonus 1,000 miles?? The songs sound a mile better on that version.

I think im gonna wait til the Euro version hits Spotify before I buy as whilst that extra track is a piece of shite filler, I might actually opt for the 'guitars turned up' option. If the difference is as great as on the debut then it will be worth it.

Yeah, I did get the version with '1000 miles', mate. I don't know if it had been a while since I heard the CDR I had of it when I played my original version, or if I just was distracted... but I didn't overly notice more guitars. Oh, unless I just thought it was the difference between MP3's and the original CD anyway. I don't know, but you got me interested. I'll have to play them back to back asap.

Does the bigger guitar effect on the new CD mean it'll lose some of that ZZ Top / 'Mind in the gutter' - Europe style guitar I hear on a few songs? I don't mind it, but heavier guitars sooth my ears much nicer.

Would I offend everyone in this thread if I was to state that this cd bores the shit out of me? :whistle:

Seriously though I did try to give it a listen but maybe I just wasn't in the mood. :anon:

I don't think anyone would be offended, but it would certainly be documented for all to see that your ears are severely broken. ;)

Yeah, I did get the version with '1000 miles', mate. I don't know if it had been a while since I heard the CDR I had of it when I played my original version, or if I just was distracted... but I didn't overly notice more guitars. Oh, unless I just thought it was the difference between MP3's and the original CD anyway. I don't know, but you got me interested. I'll have to play them back to back asap.

Does the bigger guitar effect on the new CD mean it'll lose some of that ZZ Top / 'Mind in the gutter' - Europe style guitar I hear on a few songs? I don't mind it, but heavier guitars sooth my ears much nicer.

listen to 'Feel It Again' back to back. Not necessarily more guitars but just a more lush production overall...more going on.

Also solo in 'Keep On Dreamin' different with extra backing vox

etc etc