2010 - Favorite Disc

What do you guys think of the new CD by Mr. Big - "What if" ? Andrew over at MR.com gave it the top score of 100% !!

I could never give any Mr. Big 100%, as for What If? as always with Mr. Big they are spectacular mucisians, awesome production job by Kevin Shirley yet only so-so songs one the whole. ''Undertow'' is fantastic and the rest is alright at best.

It's Sorta like the general love of Winger and Whitesnake. All these bands have had written some of my all time fav songs: Winger - Seventeen (very cheesy I know), Whitesnake - Here I Go Again and Mr. Big - Green Tinted-Sixties Mind but other than the greatest hits packages I couldn't be bothered getting any individal studio releases or keeping them for very long....although with Whitesnake I did pick up their last one a few years ago, I also traded it away after a few months. If I kept everyting I ever bought I'd have 5000+ tapes and over 5000+ cd's. I have 0 tapes and about 500 cd's. With the online availibility of so much music I find it unecessary to keep everything.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linkin Park (although their debut is still KILLER)

Umm... you need to listen to more recent Linkin Park. Some fairly melodic stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51iquRYKPbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHpvjrFpe0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYa7RWub0g8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acgvRle07GI

And my two favorites (the second is particularly bad ass, both song and video!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMePM9Q-bYk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysSxxIqKNN0

What do you guys think of the new CD by Mr. Big - "What if" ? Andrew over at MR.com gave it the top score of 100% !!

I could never give any Mr. Big 100%, as for What If? as always with Mr. Big they are spectacular mucisians, awesome production job by Kevin Shirley yet only so-so songs one the whole. ''Undertow'' is fantastic and the rest is alright at best.

It's Sorta like the general love of Winger and Whitesnake. All these bands have had written some of my all time fav songs: Winger - Seventeen (very cheesy I know), Whitesnake - Here I Go Again and Mr. Big - Green Tinted-Sixties Mind but other than the greatest hits packages I couldn't be bothered getting any individal studio releases or keeping them for very long....although with Whitesnake I did pick up their last one a few years ago, I also traded it away after a few months. If I kept everyting I ever bought I'd have 5000+ tapes and over 5000+ cd's. I have 0 tapes and about 500 cd's. With the online availibility of so much music I find it unecessary to keep everything.

I'd personally give it about 30% at best. It bored me senseless.

I'd personally give it about 30% at best. It bored me senseless.

Oh wow, holy shit. I haven't seen that review yet but it blows my mind to be honest. There are soooo many fillers on that CD.

In summary:

1. "Undertow" ; brilliant track. I really love this one.

2. "American Beauty" ; absolute garbage.

3. "Stranger In My Life" ; pretty nice ballad. Not amazing, but good.

4. "Nobody Left To Blame" ; rubbish, utter filler.

5. "Still Ain't Enough for Me" ; rubbish.

6. "Once Upon a Time" ; decent. A semi-keeper.

7. "As Far as I Can See" ; okay again.

8. "All The Way Up" ; It takes a while, but finally the 2nd great song of the CD.

9. "I Won't Get In My Way" ; only okay.

10. "Around the World" ; pretty good track actually.

11. "I Get the Feeling" ; and another good one. Good way to finish the disc.

Anyway, to each their own and all that. :) I'd probably give it an even 50% to be honest. Just because I'm not sure if the good tracks are enough to get it over the line or not. 45-50% is what this deserves in my opinion. :)

Wow, some pretty damning verdicts on Mr Big.......

Right first off, 2 comments

1. Its a 2011 release not 2010

2. It aint worth 100%..........but then again, what is??

Now to the album, I might have to post some song by song thoughts, but overall I didnt think is was that bad. There is definitely too much instrumental 'wank' for my liking, especially bass. No song should ever end with widdly bass noises, I dont care how good you are on the bloody instrument.

However, with all that said, there were about 5 or 6 songs which I really enjoy on this album. More thoughts to follow.

Cheers

HAHA! I sure messed that one up, hey? :lol: Who'd have expected the year to be that good?

I dunno Cap'n, I was thinking of boiling them. Anyone wanna come over for a BBQ and a taste?

Just heard Houston - s/t all the way through for the first time this morning.....as I intend to see them in London in a few weeks time....really nice AOR record. A bit lighter than say Vega or HEAT etc, but still some great tunes.

A few more listens and I have no doubt that this impact my top 30 list for 2010.

Has anyone pikced up the Billion Dollar Babies disc from 2010?

What i've heard of this one is great, but haven't seen it cheap enough anywhere to pick it up yet.

Just hearing this now... pretty impressive indeed.

Thanks to everyone else in this thread for your comments/recommendations, but it's now time to finally post the definitive list of 2010 albums. I've excluded most of the heavier modern stuff I routinely listen to (which is why stuff like ALL THAT REMAINS and AS I LAY DYING don't feature) so it's more consistent with others lists. Tough call with the Top 3...

1. H.E.A.T "Freedom Rock"

2. FIRST SIGNAL "S/T"

3. TREAT "Coup De Grace"

4. UNRULY CHILD "Worlds Collide"

5. ALTER BRIDGE III

6. VEGA "Kiss of Life"

7. ALLEN/LANDE "The Showdown"

8. STONE SOUR "Audio Secrecy"

9. A DAY TO REMEMBER "What Separates Me from You"

10. DEGREED "Life Love Loss"

11. STORY OF THE YEAR "The Constant"

12. MUTINY WITHIN "S/T"

13. PRETTY MAIDS "Pandemonium"

14. RECKLESS LOVE "S/T"

15. SONIC SYNDICATE "We Rule the Night"

Other rubbish I wasted my money on...

BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE (over-produced shite, and the title-track is the worst metal song in history)

WHITE WIDDOW (some nice keys but sounds like a mediocre pomp album from about 1982. Vega kills it...)

STRANGEWAYS (wtf?)

STAGE DOLLS (very very dreary stuff)

FAIR WARNING (horrible return from a once great band)

BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE (over-produced shite, and the title-track is the worst metal song in history)

WHITE WIDDOW (some nice keys but sounds like a mediocre pomp album from about 1982. Vega kills it...)

:lol: You make me laugh. You evil, evil man. ;)

Nice list anyway. Just remove Alter Bridge and Mutiny Within and you're onto something.

Thanks to everyone else in this thread for your comments/recommendations, but it's now time to finally post the definitive list of 2010 albums. I've excluded most of the heavier modern stuff I routinely listen to (which is why stuff like ALL THAT REMAINS and AS I LAY DYING don't feature) so it's more consistent with others lists. Tough call with the Top 3...

1. H.E.A.T "Freedom Rock"

2. FIRST SIGNAL "S/T"

Backed a real tough call.

For most of the year I thought that HEAT was going to walk it, but in the end to separate all these great releases I had to rate each song, and its only then that I realised that First Signal had no fillers, which is why it tipped 1st place. Think HEAT was slightly overlong (Jap version)....should have been 12 tracks.

2 fantastic albums tho no doubt.

Looking at your top 6, nearly all AOR.....im surprised not to see Tel Brock? Pretty special that album IMO.

Nice to see Degreed in there too - a really excellent album!

Cheers

:lol: You make me laugh. You evil, evil man. ;)

Nice list anyway. Just remove Alter Bridge and Mutiny Within and you're onto something.

The name of the BFMV album escaped me when I posted that, but I do agree with you that 'Fever' was by far the weakest track on that CD. I wonder how it got title track honours?

Only just noticed Fair Warning on that bottom list. Nice. Very nice to see. Took a while but you finally know their worth. ;)

Looking at your top 6, nearly all AOR.....im surprised not to see Tel Brock? Pretty special that album IMO.

That Terry Brock just didn't stick with me. I did my best with it as I loved his other solo disc, but nothing on it really stood out and after 3 or 4 spins I gave up on it. Just too much other good stuff last year and only limited CD playing time otherwise I might've stuck with it a bit more...

Oh and Geoff, the Fair Warning disc was bloody horrible. They've always been one of my all-time fave bands, as you know, but frankly they should've called-it-a-day after the "Four" album as they've barely written a good song since...

That Terry Brock just didn't stick with me. I did my best with it as I loved his other solo disc, but nothing on it really stood out and after 3 or 4 spins I gave up on it. Just too much other good stuff last year and only limited CD playing time otherwise I might've stuck with it a bit more...

Wow you surprise me. Sounds like the perfect blend of Steelhouse Lane and Slamer to me.

• 3 months later...

Don't know any of those.

My favourite CD of 2010 was Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR. A real surprise; the previous album was okay, but this one is magnificent. Although I doubt there are many fans of this CD on HH!

Harem Scarem's debut, Dream Theater 'Images & Words' & Bill Champlin 'Runaway'.

10/10 in my books :)

Ha ha only just seen this.

Harem Scarem is definitely a 90%+ but again still not 100%.......that would mean every song, every note being perfect, which it isnt.

As for Dream Theater.....LOL, nowhere near. Havent listened to it for ages, but would struggle past 80%.......just??

Harem Scarem is definitely a 90%+ but again still not 100%.......that would mean every song, every note being perfect, which it isnt.

As for Dream Theater.....LOL, nowhere near. Havent listened to it for ages, but would struggle past 80%.......just??

To these ears Images And Words might be the greatest release ever, it is simply flawless, my personal fav with Operation: Mindcrime in 2nd. The Harem Scarem debut isn't far behind, Love Reaction might be it's weak link, albeit it's a great track non the less.

To these ears Images And Words might be the greatest release ever, it is simply flawless, my personal fav with Operation: Mindcrime in 2nd. The Harem Scarem debut isn't far behind, Love Reaction might be it's weak link, albeit it's a great track non the less.

I 'd give it 80%. The only DT i have,on 2 vinyl versions. Not in my best 200 albums.