2010 - Favorite Disc

Modern HR:

1 . Erik Gronwall - Somewhere between a rock and a hard place

Finally seen sense then ;-)

Brilliant album, and cant wait to see what HEAT come up with next year!

Just one comment on that modern list - how much have you listened to that Stone Sour album? So low mate?? Its No 2 in my list! I think its absolutely brilliant. Perfect blend of power and melody.

Cheers

Yeah mate, bloody fantastic album, that Gronwall one. Some truly excellent songs on there, and not a hint of anything sub-par either. That's my idea of a great CD. I just really want to get a hard copy.

I agree, his combination with HEAT could be something truly amazing.

Honestly mate, the Stone Sour album has clocked up one or two listens so far. Just deleted it off my Ipod today after making a purchase of the actual CD, so once I get the hard copy I'll give it some proper spins. I do like it quite a lot but modern rock has been weird this year. I do actually genuinely really like every one of those 40 albums. It's just that as we've said all along, there is very little that truly stands out. I would now list the Gronwall album as one that does stand out, and I only heard it once so far but the new ADTR album sounds AWESOME. Some really, really melodic choruses on there, mixed in with their usual heavy style. That whole top 30 are albums I really like, and I'm sure there will be movement. Especially from the Stone Sour CD, to be honest, as I'm really kind of getting into these guys. I'm enjoying their first 2 albums a lot too.

As I said, it's all still a little up in the air at the moment. I'm sure that by year's end there will be plenty of movement.

Those two are the other way around for me. The Erik Gronwall is all a bit safe and polished for me, and I've only really played it a few times. Decent voice, but it reminds me of a lighter version of Stage Dolls. The STONE SOUR is great IMO...

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Modern HR:

Just one comment on that modern list - how much have you listened to that Stone Sour album? So low mate?? Its No 2 in my list! I think its absolutely brilliant. Perfect blend of power and melody.

Cheers

Yeah mate, bloody fantastic album, that Gronwall one. Some truly excellent songs on there, and not a hint of anything sub-par either. That's my idea of a great CD. I just really want to get a hard copy.

Honestly mate, the Stone Sour album has clocked up one or two listens so far. Just deleted it off my Ipod today after making a purchase of the actual CD, so once I get the hard copy I'll give it some proper spins. I do like it quite a lot but modern rock has been weird this year. I do actually genuinely really like every one of those 40 albums. It's just that as we've said all along, there is very little that truly stands out. I would now list the Gronwall album as one that does stand out, and I only heard it once so far but the new ADTR album sounds AWESOME. Some really, really melodic choruses on there, mixed in with their usual heavy style. That whole top 30 are albums I really like, and I'm sure there will be movement. Especially from the Stone Sour CD, to be honest, as I'm really kind of getting into these guys. I'm enjoying their first 2 albums a lot too.

As I said, it's all still a little up in the air at the moment. I'm sure that by year's end there will be plenty of movement.

Those two are the other way around for me. The Erik Gronwall is all a bit safe and polished for me, and I've only really played it a few times. Decent voice, but it reminds me of a lighter version of Stage Dolls. The STONE SOUR is great IMO...

I agree that new Stone Sour disc is killer along with the new Bullet For My Valentine.

Modern HR:

Cheers

I agree that new Stone Sour disc is killer along with the new Bullet For My Valentine.

Tim, you're fan of ADTR, aren't you? You heard the new album? Very impressive. You guys should check it out.

Whereas Issa, whoever the hell she is, is just an awesome album because it has awesome songs, and a lot of them. :)

No it doesnt! That ISSA was a big big disappointment for me. Yeah OK, it has some decent hooks, but fuck me if it didnt seem like I was listening to a Kelly Clarkson album :-( The guitars are so low in the mix Im struggling to even call this a rock album!

If you confess to actually liking the song 'Unbelievable', you should watch X-Factor....sounds like the sort of dross Cowell tries to get to No 1 at Christmas here in the UK.

I will give it its dues though I did really like 'Im Alive' and 'As I Live and Breathe' was a breath of fresh air as it actually sounded like a rock song ;-))

Okay mate, I haven't been able to push this from my awesome mind since I saw these words which made no sense to me. I have to know. If you struggle to call Issa a rock album, what on earth are you calling albums from Houston, Nelson or Unruly Child this year, for example? Because whilst we can debate about which album is better, there is surely no debating the fact that the Issa album rocks harder than all three of these put together. And I merely use these three as an example, but swap them with any other AOR release you'd like from this year.

Stuff like 'River of love', 'Closer, 'How will I know', 'Flying High' or 'As I Live and Breathe' just sounds awesome to me. And it all "rocks" too. Throw in a few great ballads like 'It's not me', 'What Can I Do' and as you say, 'Unbelievable' (which imo is one of the weakest songs on the CD and definitely the weakest ballad) and you have a fantastic CD, imo. The first 2 songs, 'Angels Crying' and 'I'm Alive' are admittedly kind of average, almost Avantasia sounding rockers, but not bad at all.

I really don't know either what I'm missing, or everyone else in the world is missing... but by my calculations this is an awesome melodic hard rock CD.

• My Little Pony

Whereas Issa, whoever the hell she is, is just an awesome album because it has awesome songs, and a lot of them. :)

No it doesnt! That ISSA was a big big disappointment for me. Yeah OK, it has some decent hooks, but fuck me if it didnt seem like I was listening to a Kelly Clarkson album :-( The guitars are so low in the mix Im struggling to even call this a rock album!

If you confess to actually liking the song 'Unbelievable', you should watch X-Factor....sounds like the sort of dross Cowell tries to get to No 1 at Christmas here in the UK.

I will give it its dues though I did really like 'Im Alive' and 'As I Live and Breathe' was a breath of fresh air as it actually sounded like a rock song ;-))

Okay mate, I haven't been able to push this from my awesome mind since I saw these words which made no sense to me. I have to know. If you struggle to call Issa a rock album, what on earth are you calling albums from Houston, Nelson or Unruly Child this year, for example? Because whilst we can debate about which album is better, there is surely no debating the fact that the Issa album rocks harder than all three of these put together. And I merely use these three as an example, but swap them with any other AOR release you'd like from this year.

Stuff like 'River of love', 'Closer, 'How will I know', 'Flying High' or 'As I Live and Breathe' just sounds awesome to me. And it all "rocks" too. Throw in a few great ballads like 'It's not me', 'What Can I Do' and as you say, 'Unbelievable' (which imo is one of the weakest songs on the CD and definitely the weakest ballad) and you have a fantastic CD, imo. The first 2 songs, 'Angels Crying' and 'I'm Alive' are admittedly kind of average, almost Avantasia sounding rockers, but not bad at all.

I really don't know either what I'm missing, or everyone else in the world is missing... but by my calculations this is an awesome melodic hard rock CD.

No, no, I've been waiting for a response, too. Not only does this album ROCK, like a ROCK album should ROCK, it's also ROCKed its way into my top ROCK albums of the year list. 'Cause it ROCKs!

No, no, I've been waiting for a response, too. Not only does this album ROCK, like a ROCK album should ROCK, it's also ROCKed its way into my top ROCK albums of the year list. 'Cause it ROCKs!

Indeed. Someone's got to let Glen in on the secret, though. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Not long to go now! Cmon Geoff, wheres your top 5000?

Not this time, belt buckle. I haven't had time to listen to new releases enough times to offer an accurate list. So I hope to get some time on the road trip to collate at least some top 10's accurately for mid January. Just for you, Samson.

Not this time, belt buckle. I haven't had time to listen to new releases enough times to offer an accurate list. So I hope to get some time on the road trip to collate at least some top 10's accurately for mid January. Just for you, Samson.

I will knock over your pillars. JERK

I will knock over your pillars. JERK

I'm in such a mood for a beatdown. Let's do this. Now. Where are you? I said now. Still not here. What's your problem? You want to do this dance or not? Get here now for a beatdown.

Are Matt and Geoff tangled up in some Australia love affair via the HH message board or do they really hate each other?

It's like Prof. Snipe from the Harry Potter books/movies, sometimes I think he's good, than bad, than good, than bad and finally ***spoiler alert*** he's good.

Everytime I try to put together a list I just give up it's to hard.

There's so many great cds this year and there's to many recent releases I haven't even had time to check out yet. My top picks are still:

1. Crashdiet - Generation Wild

2. Pretty Maids - Pandemonium

3. Crazy Lixx - New Religion

After that I have no idea. One disc that got buried by most when it came out way back in February(is it me of does that seem like 5 years ago?) is Wig Wam's 'Non Stop Rock N Roll'. I like most thought it was just okay but after spinning it again recently I have to say that it's a damn good party hard rock disc. Of course Reckless Love will make it somewhere in my top 5 I'm sure but with so many early 2010 releases that I need to reacess and to many recent releases that I haven't heard yet it's unfair to even do a list at this point.

Thanks Geoff, take your time :) The last thing I want is an inaccurate list ;)

MY ACCURATE LIST as of 23/12/10

Crazy Lixx New Religion

Treat Coup de Grace

Avantasia - Angel Of Babylon

Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony

Scorpions Sting In The Tail

Kissin' Dynamite Addicted To Metal

Bad City ~ welcome to the wasteland

Reckless Love Reckless Love

Pretty Maids Pandemonium

Angeline Confessions

Wig Wam Non Stop Rock N Roll

White Widdow ~ White Widdow

Dive picture perfect

LAST AUTUMN'S DREAM ~ Touch Of Heaven

Legacy Legacy

Masterplan Time To Be King

NA ~ Havnt listened yet.

H.E.A.T. Freedom Rock

Laney, Chris - Only Come Out At Night

My list really wouldnt have changed for a few months now as all the best stuff came out early in the year IMO. Aside from some great/recent modern discs (A DAY TO REMEMBER, STONE SOUR, PARKWAY DRIVE) then only UNRULY CHILD has been an addition in the past few months or so. I seriously love the VEGA disc, but it's just an 80's AOR disc so it just doesnt feel right adding it to a list of 2010 albums...

My list really wouldnt have changed for a few months now as all the best stuff came out early in the year IMO. Aside from some great/recent modern discs (A DAY TO REMEMBER, STONE SOUR, PARKWAY DRIVE) then only UNRULY CHILD has been an addition in the past few months or so. I seriously love the VEGA disc, but it's just an 80's AOR disc so it just doesnt feel right adding it to a list of 2010 albums...

it does when it is one of the best albums of the year ;-)

If I had to remove all the 80's sounding discs from my fav list for 2010, I'd only have to 2-4 discs on my list.

If I had to remove all the 80's sounding discs from my fav list for 2010, I'd only have to 2-4 discs on my list.

:rofl2: That is so true.

The year's almost over and I'd have to say that Accept's abso-f*cking-lutely amazing comeback album BLOOD OF THE NATIONS will top the "Best of the Year" list for me.

I still stand by my earlier comment.

Honorable mentions would be Ratt's INFESTATION, Airbourne's NO GUTS NO GLORY and Disaffection's BEGIN THE REVOLUTION (off the top of my head)... still hoping to get the new Halford and/or Helloween from Santa to see how they stack up...

2010 kinda sucked for me. Not in terms of quality releases, mind you, but in terms of me NOT HAVING ANY F*CKING $$$ to buy them with :doh:

The year's almost over and I'd have to say that Accept's abso-f*cking-lutely amazing comeback album BLOOD OF THE NATIONS will top the "Best of the Year" list for me.

I still stand by my earlier comment.

Honorable mentions would be Ratt's INFESTATION, Airbourne's NO GUTS NO GLORY and Disaffection's BEGIN THE REVOLUTION (off the top of my head)... still hoping to get the new Halford and/or Helloween from Santa to see how they stack up...

2010 kinda sucked for me. Not in terms of quality releases, mind you, but in terms of me NOT HAVING ANY F*CKING $$$ to buy them with :doh:

I keep forgetting about the Accept and the RATT. Both are great IMO.

The Airbourne is really good as well. :headbanger:

That has seriously got to be the weirdest, most out-of-place comment I've seen on this forum. You do realise what website you logged into this morning, don't you?

That has seriously got to be the weirdest, most out-of-place comment I've seen on this forum. You do realise what website you logged into this morning, don't you?

For the first time ever... Geoff is right... Timmy boy... slap yourself.

Is this not deathgrindnoisecoreforscenekidswithshithaircuts.com then? Oops.

Yeah I thought the same thing.. I know Vega will be very high on my list.