Kissin' Dynamite releases another winner!

heavyharmonies

Kissin' Dynamite's debut, Steel of Swabia, was one of my honorable mentions for 2008, but darned if it hasn't garnered more replay than some of the award winners from that year. Not necessarily innovative, but darned well executed and produced. No wonder they're on a major label (EMI).

I just got their sophomore release, Addicted to Metal, a few days ago. This picks up right where the debut left off, perhaps just a wee bit heavier. Stylistically, they're a blend of Accept and Edguy, with an occasional classic Judas Priest vibe, but attitude-wise, they're straight '80s glam/hard rock. It's a combination that works well.

As with the first CD, this disc has it's share of metal anthems, specifically the title track and the closer "Metal Nation." The over-the-top attitude is right out of Manowar's repertoire, just a lot more fun and sounding a lot better.

Two of my favorite tracks from the CD (both full-length 320kbps):

1. Supersonic Killer. Very Edguy in execution with a bit of a Judas Priest vibe.

2. High Enough. You don't see many Damn Yankee covers out there. The underlying guitar riff on the verses is a bit bizarre, but the choruses are very well done!

Samples of all songs on the HH page.

Front and back CD pics below

kissindynamite-atm1.jpg

kissindynamite-atm2.jpg

Usually I go to NEH Records for most of my European Rock/Metal but for some reason, I could not wait for this one, so I ordered it from AOR Heaven. These guys are awesome.....I haven't heard a young band sound this good since Black Tide came out with their "Light From Above" release. I love the Damn Yankees cover....the guitarwork was a little different but not in a bad way. Speaking of Damn Yankees....I'd like to see a cover of "Where You Going Now" from the Don't Tread album.

One of the best new young bands from the past few years. The debut is killer! Good place to pick the new one up at a good price??

No such animal as a "good price" on this one. Exchange rates (at least against the U.S. dollar) suck. It's going to run you at least US$20 under the best of circumstances.

I got mine from NEH with the current free U.S. shipping deal, which put it at $19.99. I've not seen it cheaper anywhere else.

-Dan

One of the best new young bands from the past few years. The debut is killer! Good place to pick the new one up at a good price??

No such animal as a "good price" on this one. Exchange rates (at least against the U.S. dollar) suck. It's going to run you at least US$20 under the best of circumstances.

I got mine from NEH with the current free U.S. shipping deal, which put it at $19.99. I've not seen it cheaper anywhere else.

-Dan

I was looking for a cheaper price as well. It just kills me how some of these European bands discs are always so expensive. It seems when they at least get signed to labels like Frontiers their at least coming down to that $14-$15 range but bands like Kissin Dynamite, Sturm Und Drang and The Poodles are always so expensive.

I almost bought this yesterday when I placed an order with NEH but went for a few other things instead. I'll have to pick this one up next time as the samples I've heard including the two tracks Dan mentions above sound awesome. I haven't heard the debut album from them though.

I regret to report that I was pretty unimpressed with this one. I found the debut to be pretty average but promising, with a few good tracks that I thought the band could build upon for a great second album. Unfortunately I think this is the weaker of the two albums, which is a little unfortunate considering only about 2-3 songs stood out for me on the debut. The 'High enough' cover was easily my favourite song on the new disc... :(

I regret to report that I was pretty unimpressed with this one. I found the debut to be pretty average but promising, with a few good tracks that I thought the band could build upon for a great second album. Unfortunately I think this is the weaker of the two albums, which is a little unfortunate considering only about 2-3 songs stood out for me on the debut. The 'High enough' cover was easily my favourite song on the new disc... :(

I'm be behind Geoff on this one. It's not bad but nothing that really stands out compared to other german bands in this genre. And the singer doesn't help with his german accent. He kind of enoys me. :(

So why is this one worse than the debut? The lack of quality songs? A slight change is style? Crappyu performances? I love the first one and was going to buy this blind.

So why is this one worse than the debut? The lack of quality songs? A slight change is style? Crappyu performances? I love the first one and was going to buy this blind.

In my opinion, if you enjoyed the debut, you'll enjoy this one.

As I said above, in my cheeky little opinion I thought the debut had a couple of cool songs. Hold on... okay, just checked and I think I pretty much only really liked 'Out in the rain'. So that said, the new album has just as many highlights (being the sole highlight, 'High enough'). :lol:

But I dunno, to be totally honest I pretty much entirely forgot about the debut and discarded it; just wasn't for me. I just remember the songs being a little stronger and I didn't think his voice was as bad as it sounds on this new one.

That said, Dan's right. If you did actually like the debut you'll probably dig this too. Neither one really works for me at all to be honest.

Here is my thoughts on the situation:

Shutup Geoff.

Shutup Geoff.

I challenge you to fist fight me.

Shutup Geoff.

I challenge you to fist fight me.

Youd start bitchslapping.

The debut is an awesome album... up there with any recent Edguy and PC69. LOLZ OMG OMG OMG. YOU iz like dum!

• 1 year later...

Well, paint me impressed (preferably with edible fingerpaints wielded by hot Swedish supermodels). Best song Kissin' Dynamite has ever cranked out and hopefully an indication of the new album as a whole. As Matt said, definitely has a little Crashdiet vibe goin' on, but since Crashdiet are awesome, I'm OK with that!

Not to be too harsh, but I think these guys have sucked... up until now. I did like one song from the debut and a couple more were okay, the 2nd album was a write-off imo, but this sounds like they've smartened up. This, really, is f*cking excellent. Don't like the dude's vocals at the start of the verses, but I like his "sleaze" voice when he kicks in to the 2nd half of the verses. Love the image too - very 80's glam.

Good luck to them, I hope they can produce a whole album like this and spark some interest. Very nice.

• 2 weeks later...