Your Favorite D2 tracks

shamus

Burned an 80 min road trip cd with the faintest of hopes I'll make D2's Chicago shows on April 30 and May 1. I included at least one song from each cd with the exception of Down and Dirty Live and Live and Nude. I also counted the double disc Cockroach as one release.

I really like a lot of their Laine stuff but to me Danger Danger and Poley are inseparable which leads to a heavy dose of Ted. Coulda easily made it a 160 min double disc but for Danger Danger fans here's my list. How 'bout yours?

Naughty Naughty

Monkey Business

Feels Like Love

Keep On Keepin' On

When She's Good She's Good (When She's Bad She's Better) Ted Vocals

Rock America

Lovin' A Girl Like You (Could Be Bad For My Health)

That's What I'M Talking About

Don't Blame It On Love

Bang Bang

Crazy Nites

Don't Walk Away

I Still Think About You

Turn It On

Dead Drunk & Wasted

Jaded

Helicopter

Gladly. The songs I couldn't do without are listed below, the ones in bold are the 17 I'd put on a CDR in your situation:

s/t:

Don't Walk Away

Bang Bang

Rock America

Feels Like Love

'Screw It':

Monkey Business

Slipped Her the Big One

Beat the Bullet

I Still Think About You

Crazy Nites

Don't Blame it on Love

'Cockroach' (All Ted):

Still Kickin'

Don't Break My Heart Again

Goin' Goin' Gone

Afraid of Love

'Four the hard way':

Captain Bring Me Down

Goin' All The Way

'Return....':

Grind

She's Gone

I Do

'Revolve':

Hearts on the Highway

Rocket to Your Heart

Never Give Up

Dirty Mind

And 'Goin' all the way' would be my first reserve. :)

For the record, this would be my pick from 'Dawn' if I had to:

'Dawn':

Drivin' Sideways

My top 5 -

Under The Gun

One Step From Paradise

Beat The Bullet

Hearts On The Highway

Dirty Mind

:-))

Great choice, by far my favourite Danger Danger song, an absolute classic. I love most tracks on the first album though, and would take them over anything they have done since.

My top 5 -

Under The Gun

One Step From Paradise

Beat The Bullet

Hearts On The Highway

Dirty Mind

Great choice, by far my favourite Danger Danger song, an absolute classic. I love most tracks on the first album though, and would take them over anything they have done since.

Me too, although the other 3 songs ive listed are classics IMO

I'd definitely have added "Hearts on the Highway".

Also, if it were my compilation then I'd probably have left off all of the Paul Laine-era stuff. Not because it wasn't good, as "4 The Hard Way" & "Cockroach" were clearly killer and those songs you list off "Dawn" were also good, but it just wasn't really DD IMHO. For me the only real DD collection has to have Poley on vocals throughout....

Here's some of my favorites, I thought D2 with Paul Laine were great, besides when the Cockroach album came out, I was so used to Laine's voice singing them that I never really got into the Ted Poley versions.

Anyway, both versions of the band made some great music.

Bang Bang

Naughty Naughty

Monkey Business

I Still Think about You

Get Your S**t Together

Still Kickin' (Laine)

Jaded (Laine)

Captain Bring Me Down (Laine)

Afraid Of Love (Laine)

Cherry Cherry (so overlooked, love this song)

Killin' Love

Fugitive

F.U.$

I like everyone's lists. It's like trying to pick your favourite swimsuit model of 2010. I'd probably have an easier time picking the songs I don't like.

This may be odd to some, but Naughty Naughty, the bands biggest hit is a song that I really don't care for.

I Still Think about You

Seen this track mentioned a couple of times. Don't send me hate mail for this, but the forum is all about opinions...

This track for me sums up why I love the debut and hate the second album. The first album has great tunes, well crafted songs that stand up to countless listens without getting boring. 'I Still Think About You' is such a basic song that the band who wrote the first album could probably have written in about five minutes. After 3 or 4 plays it grinds on me like fingernails down a blackboard, there is just so little to the song. There seems to be hardly any imagination in the song writing for 'Screw It!', unlike the self-titled which had bags of it. The lyrics aren't particularly serious in either album, but the difference between the quality of the tunes is huge in my opinion.

The only thing I like about 'Screw It!' is the Donnie Vie impression.

Sorry folks.

:whistle:

I Still Think about You

Seen this track mentioned a couple of times. Don't send me hate mail for this, but the forum is all about opinions...

This track for me sums up why I love the debut and hate the second album. The first album has great tunes, well crafted songs that stand up to countless listens without getting boring. 'I Still Think About You' is such a basic song that the band who wrote the first album could probably have written in about five minutes. After 3 or 4 plays it grinds on me like fingernails down a blackboard, there is just so little to the song. There seems to be hardly any imagination in the song writing for 'Screw It!', unlike the self-titled which had bags of it. The lyrics aren't particularly serious in either album, but the difference between the quality of the tunes is huge in my opinion.

Sorry folks.

I do like that song and think its one of the better ones off 'Screw It', but there's no denying the song writing slipped a considerable degree from the awesome debut to the sophomore.

I Still Think about You

Sorry folks.

I kinda think that's what they were aiming for with the 2nd album. I mean the debut was very polished and a bit over-produced, with so many layers of b/g vocals that I think they wanted things a little more basic on album no.2. For me it was only the intro/outro's that spoilt the flow of that disc, plus the last few songs which weren't anything special, otherwise it wasn't far off the quality of the debut. Some KILLER songs thats-for-sure, and personally I think "I Still Think About You" is pretty damn great (and isn't all that different to "One Step From Paradise" from the debut)....

I like everyone's lists. It's like trying to pick your favourite swimsuit model of 2010. I'd probably have an easier time picking the songs I don't like.

This may be odd to some, but Naughty Naughty, the bands biggest hit is a song that I really don't care for.

THERE IS NO SONG ON ANY D2 CDS BAD WITH POLEY !! LANE ON THE OTHER HAND ABOUT EVERY TRACK !!

I Still Think about You

Sorry folks.

I kinda think that's what they were aiming for with the 2nd album. I mean the debut was very polished and a bit over-produced, with so many layers of b/g vocals that I think they wanted things a little more basic on album no.2. For me it was only the intro/outro's that spoilt the flow of that disc, plus the last few songs which weren't anything special, otherwise it wasn't far off the quality of the debut. Some KILLER songs thats-for-sure, and personally I think "I Still Think About You" is pretty damn great (and isn't all that different to "One Step From Paradise" from the debut)....

Yeah, kind of agree with Tim here, except for the fact that I prefer 'Screw It!' to the debut... only slightly, though. But come on guys, you can't be honestly telling me the debut (with 'Naughty Naughty', 'Bang Bang', 'Rock America', 'Turn it on' for instance - all classic nevertheless) is a more well written album than the 'Screw it!'?! :lol: Clowns! ;)

Neither album relies on genius to be brilliant. Each is as simple as the other, but what they both are is perfect examples of why you don't need to be complex to be amazing. As Tim said, 'I still think about you' is no simpler than anything off the debut. I, for one, f*cking love that song. Yeah it's simple, but what a fantastic ballad.

Either way, it's like being asked if you'd prefer sex with Amy Reid or Audrey Bitoni. Either way, you can't lose.

My fav D2 track of all time is the Paul Laine fronted 'Jaded'.

I just love that song and I know that most consider Poley the voice of D2 and that's fine and I don't disagree but this band recorded some great tunes with Paul singing.

To be honest there isn't one D2 song I dislike so it would be very difficult to narrow their catalog down to two discs and I'd probably need three discs to get it done. Hell I even liked 'Dawn' even though it wasn't the D2 signature sound they still did a very good job at selling out, much better than many other bands that tried it.

My fav D2 track of all time is the Paul Laine fronted 'Jaded'.

I just love that song and I know that most consider Poley the voice of D2 and that's fine and I don't disagree but this band recorded some great tunes with Paul singing.

Not a bad call that. "Jaded" is the catchiest song they ever wrote. I definitely agree that Laine was a great vocalist for the band & love "4 The Hard Way", and most of "Dawn". My comment around Poley was aimed at the fact that if I was doing a DD compilation I would rather it all sounded fairly consistent rather than had a song like "Helicopter" straight after something like "Don't Blame It On Love" - would just sound like two different bands....

'Jaded' is a great track. I agree with what Tim's saying, though. If I did a proper mix I'd only use Ted tracks... as much as I think 'I do' and 'She's gone' are easily two if the band's best tunes.

I have a mix cd of just Paul Laine's D2 and another one with just Ted Poley's D2. Depends on my mood which one I'll listen to, but I love both vocalists and their songs. I still believe Paul is the stronger vocalist, but Revolve has made Ted's music, in general, my favorite in the D2 catalogue.

I have a mix cd of just Paul Laine's D2 and another one with just Ted Poley's D2. Depends on my mood which one I'll listen to, but I love both vocalists and their songs. I still believe Paul is the stronger vocalist, but Revolve has made Ted's music, in general, my favorite in the D2 catalogue.

Tell us what tracks are on them Dave? So we can then all pick your choices apart, as that's always fun. :lol:

Neither album relies on genius to be brilliant. Each is as simple as the other, but what they both are is perfect examples of why you don't need to be complex to be amazing. As Tim said, 'I still think about you' is no simpler than anything off the debut. I, for one, f*cking love that song. Yeah it's simple, but what a fantastic ballad.

Either way, it's like being asked if you'd prefer sex with Amy Reid or Audrey Bitoni. Either way, you can't lose.

Have to agree to disagree (again) - to my ears 'I Still Think About You' is simpler than the tunes on the first album. Different strokes and all that, I hate the song and you love it ... at least we share a love of the debut! It's all part of the fun of a forum like this, I suppose.

BTW, I once bought the EP of 'I Still Think About You' for a girlfriend, as it had 'Under The Gun', which we both loved, as a b-side. Didn't get me anywhere though. :doh:

Maybe that has something to do with how I feel about the song...

Wow. I would have thought that one would have found universal acceptance. I remember hearing it at the local HMV back when it was released and buying the album on the strength of that one song. Mind you, Under the Gun is a favorite of the masses and while I do like that song a ton, I love every other track on the debut that much more.

I like the idea of separate D2 discs for Poley and Laine.

Wow. I would have thought that one would have found universal acceptance. I remember hearing it at the local HMV back when it was released and buying the album on the strength of that one song. Mind you, Under the Gun is a favorite of the masses and while I do like that song a ton, I love every other track on the debut that much more.

Yeah, don't worry mate. 'Under the gun' was never a big fave of mine either and easily one of the weakest on the debut, IMO. Cool song, but, like 'Ghost of love', a lot more AOR than most their material. And by jesus, those keys! Wow. A little too much for me. Either way, cool song but not one of their best. 'Naughty Naughty' is a good one, though.

Yeah, don't worry mate. 'Under the gun' was never a big fave of mine either and easily one of the weakest on the debut, IMO. Cool song, but, like 'Ghost of love', a lot more AOR than most their material. And by jesus, those keys! Wow. A little too much for me. Either way, cool song but not one of their best. 'Naughty Naughty' is a good one, though.

Under The Gun is not only my fav D2 song, but one of my all time fav songs. Killer intro and killer chorus IMO.

How opinions differ.

Under The Gun is not only my fav D2 song, but one of my all time fav songs. Killer intro and killer chorus IMO.

How opinions differ.

With you on that 100%. Great song, a lot more to it than most D2 songs (even though there are lots of other great songs) and I never tire of it.