You paid a designer for that?!

phaffas

Well... Blackheart Records didn't put a lot of money into that Metal Church project. Although I am in the minority, I rather like the release. Metal Church was the first (and last) metal band on Blackheart Records.

I love Metal Church too, and I do like the album, but GAWD I wish they'd reissue it with a different cover or something!!

According to Ian Christe's book "Sound of the Beast," Metal Church had no idea what the artwork was going to look like until the finished CDs were in their hands, and by then it was obviously too late to do anything about it. Needless to say, they were less than thrilled.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• My Little Pony
I defy anyone to come up with a worse one than THIS:

(1994)%20-%20Metal%20Church%20-%20Hanging%20In%20The%20Balance.jpg

Not only the worst album cover in the history of metal, but quite possibly in the entire history of recorded music.

Ha ha! That is so awesome!

:rofl:

DIZZY BITCH-IN THE PINK

JOHNNYLUSTinDIZZYBITCH.jpg

I saw this lp, in a used record store a few months back and was too embarrassed to buy it..

:rofl2:

Jeez That is bad bad bad.

This is again a little off topic, but as far as I'm concerned this is about as bad as it gets:

ARENA_A.JPG

... Is there a single thing they could have done to look gayer?

Yes. They could have had you standing in the center of the two.

Yeah ! Doesn't she know ?!?!

:tumbsup:

I know it works with the "Don't wait up" CD title, but still I think it didn't help them gain success :)

curfew.jpg

The cover really sucks big time, but it is such an AWESOME release !!

• 4 months later...

Some of these are just :puke:

I'd like to add Tuff - Religious Fix

I understand that their budget wasn't great at the time, but the inverted low-resolution image (all pixelated) and cheap looking fonts with "cool" textures is inexcusable. When I got hold of my copy I checked to see if it wasn't a boot because it looked that amateurish.

frontpqu.th.jpg

This is again a little off topic, but as far as I'm concerned this is about as bad as it gets:

ARENA_A.JPG

... Is there a single thing they could have done to look gayer?

Yes. They could have had you standing in the center of the two.

...Just Kidding... :tumbsup:

I was actually going to place myself in there when I asked that question.

Seriously, though, my face should have been in the middle and they're both kissing one of my cheeks. That would have been awesome.

Knowing you Geoff it would be your butt cheeks. :whistle:

Some of the comments on the Arena album cover above: :rofl2:

These two aren't as bad as some of the appalling covers already listed in this thread and don't meet the 'photoshop amateur' criterion, but both are pretty feeble imo, as if no one really tried (and far worse than the Metal Church 'Hanging In The Balance' artwork - at least someone had to make the effort to draw that!):

AMAZEME3.JPG

LUVJUNKIES_S.JPG

These two aren't as bad as some of the appalling covers already listed in this thread and don't meet the 'photoshop amateur' criterion, but both are pretty feeble imo, as if no one really tried (and far worse than the Metal Church 'Hanging In The Balance' artwork - at least someone had to make the effort to draw that!):

LUVJUNKIES_S.JPG

For that Love Junkies album it looks like they took the smudge tool in Photoshop and ran straight across the word "smudge". Inventive! Oh, and the symbols, all hail the almighty "up arrow"!

And yeah, the comments for the Arena cover are hilarious! It's a seriously bad album cover, looks like something Wham! would do. One of them is even sporting a George Michael goatee that looks like it's pencilled in.

I also have to say that this is a terrible, terrible cover:

61yLnSs84eL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Not 1 but 3 pouts!

Not only the worst album cover in the history of metal, but quite possibly in the entire history of recorded music.

:agree: I almost didn't buy this cd just because of the cover...Then when I did buy it I almost couldn't play it because of the cover... :o

:agree: I almost didn't buy this cd just because of the cover...Then when I did buy it I almost couldn't play it because of the cover... :o

I agree that it's not great, but at least it is vaguely amusing (briefly). I think it's a lot better than some of these others that look like no one's made any effort at all.

And as for the Bret Michaels one, I agree entirely. I'm trying to think of things I want to look at less than pictures of Bret Michaels pouting. Nothing comes to mind...

:puke:

LUVJUNKIES_S.JPG

For that Love Junkies album it looks like they took the smudge tool in Photoshop and ran straight across the word "smudge". Inventive! Oh, and the symbols, all hail the almighty "up arrow"!

And yeah, the comments for the Arena cover are hilarious! It's a seriously bad album cover, looks like something Wham! would do. One of them is even sporting a George Michael goatee that looks like it's pencilled in.

I also have to say that this is a terrible, terrible cover:

61yLnSs84eL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Not 1 but 3 pouts!

Wow, sexy! :tumbsup:

• 2 months later...

I quite like the FM one, The Asia cover is pretty poor though.

Here are a few more to keep this going:

This is pretty awful, just some random pictures stuck together (which is probably the point, but it does look very amateurish):

da-cover-cd.jpg

This one is dead boring, looks like no one tried:

sevenwishes.jpg

This one is just appalling:

1265134910_sure-conviction-get-ready-1.jpg

The Asia isn't great, especially as it is a Roger Dean cover, which are usually very good. The FM one though I really like and can't see anything bad about it to be honest.

Well... Blackheart Records didn't put a lot of money into that Metal Church project. Although I am in the minority, I rather like the release. Metal Church was the first (and last) metal band on Blackheart Records.

I like this cd as well,not as good as the other releases but still enjoyable and the cover blows large chunks.

I like this cd as well,not as good as the other releases but still enjoyable and the cover blows large chunks.

Surely not as bad as Demon Angels or Sure Conviction???