Heavens Edge: Self-titled, What a great album

Ali Rock

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone in the band needs to get their pre ST album demos released. Lots of killer tunes that need to be heard. I love Some Other Place as well but the St album is a true gem with ZERO filler.

not sure how this didn't make the first album

This got released on SOPSOT and was suppose to be on an album to be released in 1992 I believe. Killer song!

the only thing I dont like about the 2nd album (SOPSOT) is that the track listing is awful. you have a rockin song then a ballad. it alternates throughout like that and it annoys me but it has some amazing stuff on it

Really? I only remember a couple of ballads even on the album.

the only thing I dont like about the 2nd album (SOPSOT) is that the track listing is awful. you have a rockin song then a ballad. it alternates throughout like that and it annoys me but it has some amazing stuff on it

maybe I overstated it, I'll have to take a full listen to be sure. I remember being anoyed with the way the tracks flowed. I seem to recall to that it went upbeat then slowed down then upbeat then slowed down.

maybe I overstated it, I'll have to take a full listen to be sure. I remember being anoyed with the way the tracks flowed. I seem to recall to that it went upbeat then slowed down then upbeat then slowed down.

I don't remember that but the production was a bit rough :(

Someone in the band needs to get their pre ST album demos released. Lots of killer tunes that need to be heard. I love Some Other Place as well but the St album is a true gem with ZERO filler.

There's a demo collection called Missing Pieces with a lot of great songs. Some of them was released on the Rock Candy re-issue and the US-press of the SOPSOT album. There is also a version of the Bad reputation song with a different arrangement. BUt the best song on that collection IMO is called eyes of a stranger and is a monster song. I can post it if someone tells me how to do it.

Anybody knows where are they now ?

They will play at the Firefest this year. They have made a couple of reunions in the past and they still sounds great. I will probably cry like a child when see them at Firefest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB0xPKuVMRg

There's a demo collection called Missing Pieces with a lot of great songs. Some of them was released on the Rock Candy re-issue and the US-press of the SOPSOT album. There is also a version of the Bad reputation song with a different arrangement. BUt the best song on that collection IMO is called eyes of a stranger and is a monster song. I can post it if someone tells me how to do it.

Anybody knows where are they now ?

They will play at the Firefest this year. They have made a couple of reunions in the past and they still sounds great. I will probably cry like a child when see them at Firefest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB0xPKuVMRg

Yeah, I have that demo collection but it is fan made and sounds like shit. That's my point, there is still a lot out there and I wish someone would release it.

Yeah, a few points on above posts.

'Rock steady' wasn't included on the debut because it was written after it was released, wasn't it?

The track running order on 'SOPSOT' is perfect isn't it? And very typical of running orders. There's only two ballads on the disc and they're at track 5 and 9, between the rockers. No other way to do it, imo.

For me that album is amazing, and even better than the killer debut. Only downside is the unpolished production, but thankfully it's a lot better than most shelved projects.

I agree that 'Missing Pieces' is basically a worthless pile of shit. Yeah there's some killer stuff on it (I love 'Eyes of a stranger' too) but it's all barely audible.

I had no idea they were re-uniting for a show this year. Jeez I wish to jeebers they'd record some new material. Truly love the music these guys gifted to the world.

'Rock steady' wasn't included on the debut because it was written after it was released, wasn't it?

The track running order on 'SOPSOT' is perfect isn't it? And very typical of running orders. There's only two ballads on the disc and they're at track 5 and 9, between the rockers. No other way to do it, imo.

For me that album is amazing, and even better than the killer debut. Only downside is the unpolished production, but thankfully it's a lot better than most shelved projects.

I agree that 'Missing Pieces' is basically a worthless pile of shit. Yeah there's some killer stuff on it (I love 'Eyes of a stranger' too) but it's all barely audible.

I had no idea they were re-uniting for a show this year. Jeez I wish to jeebers they'd record some new material. Truly love the music these guys gifted to the world.

Just so I have this right before I have you committed...did you say SOPSOT is better than the St cd?

Just so I have this right before I have you committed...did you say SOPSOT is better than the St cd?

I think I read that too. Wow!

I think I read that too. Wow!

Don't....

Do...

Drugs...

Guest dontdokken

I like both albums equally and it probably has to do with the fact that SOPSOT begins with "Rock Steady" which creates a vibe for the album even though the rest tracks are not on the same level (quality-wise)

Oh yeah, guys, I definitely prefer 'SOPSOT.'

Near-perfect / perfect songs in the Heaven's Edge discography:

Find Another Way

Bad Reputation

Come Play the Game

Rock Steady

Some Other Place, Some Other Time

Jacky

Back Seat Driver

Call My Name

And more to the point, I love every single (of the first 10) songs on the 'SOPSOT' disc. It's an extremely complete album.

I truly love the debut, but stuff like 'Skin to skin,' 'Up against the wall,' 'Can't catch me,' 'Daddy's little girl,' 'Is that all you want' and 'Don't stop don't go' - not one of those songs compares to anything on the second album. FYI, I cut the second album off after 'Roller Coaster' as the remaining tracks are evidently from a different recording era.

But song for song, if I'm being honest, 'SOPSOT' kinda annihilates the great debut.

Guest dontdokken

Find Another Way

Bad Reputation

Come Play the Game

Rock Steady

Jacky

Back Seat Driver

Call My Name

And more to the point, I love every single (of the first 10) songs on the 'SOPSOT' disc. It's an extremely complete album.

I truly love the debut, but stuff like 'Skin to skin,' 'Up against the wall,' 'Can't catch me,' 'Daddy's little girl,' 'Is that all you want' and 'Don't stop don't go' - not one of those songs compares to anything on the second album. FYI, I cut the second album off after 'Roller Coaster' as the remaining tracks are evidently from a different recording era.

But song for song, if I'm being honest, 'SOPSOT' kinda annihilates the great debut.

It's been years since the last time I gave a spin to both albums. I gotta check again especially SOPSOT

Find Another Way

Bad Reputation

Come Play the Game

Rock Steady

Jacky

Back Seat Driver

Call My Name

To each his own but i love every tune you mentioned on the debut above especially Skin to Skin.

Find Another Way

Bad Reputation

Come Play the Game

Rock Steady

Jacky

Back Seat Driver

Call My Name

To each his own but i love every tune you mentioned on the debut above especially Skin to Skin.

'Skin to skin' is my fave of that lot, but I pretty much always skip 'Can't catch me' and 'Is that all you want.' I do quite like all those other songs I mentioned, but as noted, I think they're weaker than anything on 'SOPSOT.'

Well its definitely the type of rock that was being released in that time frame, I guess it's all taste, it was a killer album, but I just found it to be another big label release of the hundreds of commercial rock groups they flooded the market with, and wouldn't we love to still be plagued with that problem, I know I would love it, I thought it was a killer disc, pretty awesome production on it, solid song writing, it failed to produce that one key single though, and I believe that is what kept these guys obscure, im sorry I dont know what singles they plucked off this disc, I know the way I heard them was on the classic commercial rock radio station KBER 101, and the song they played was Find Another Way, so im going to assume that was the single, right there they shot themselves in the foot, Hold On To Tonight, Skin To Skin, or even the songs about my ex Bad Reputation could've all been better singles, and the next problem, as a whole the album is very solid, but like I said, there really isn't that one gigantic standout song, which in that day, you really needed to have, to separate yourself from the rest of the bands that were literally coming out 20 at a time every Tuesday, from 1990 to 1991, and I think if they had that one song, they would've no doubt been in the same discussions as bands that had wrote that big gigantic single, Firehouse for example, but yeah, I think musically these guys mightve been a step ahead of the other groups, vocally they were basically the same as the other groups, and like I said, they put out a solid COMPLETE! album, which isn't something I found alot of during this time, with these bands, but I agree, a very solid killer release, and they shouldve been huge, thats what I think.

Find Another Way

Bad Reputation

Come Play the Game

Rock Steady

Jacky

Back Seat Driver

Call My Name

Jesus, you're killing me! Please tell me this is an early April Fools joke? Did you say Call My Name is perfect. Oh man...

I'm sorry buddy but you have lost your mind. Song for song it's not even close.

Anyone smell a poll coming?

Find Another Way

Bad Reputation

Come Play the Game

Rock Steady

Jacky

Back Seat Driver

Call My Name

Jesus, you're killing me! Please tell me this is an early April Fools joke? Did you say Call My Name is perfect. Oh man...

I'm sorry buddy but you have lost your mind. Song for song it's not even close.

Anyone smell a poll coming?

The debut is in another league for me. Don't stop don't go, 'Can't catch me' ist not great IMO. But Geoff "Mr. Ballad man", you must love HOld on to tonight since that is one hell of a rock ballad. ;-)

For some reason people seem to notice every time I like a ballad (which 99% of the time in on a harder rocking CD) but no one's taking notes that it's very seldom that "AOR ballads" ever do much for me at all. I actually don't really like those sickly sweet love ballads at all. 'Hold on to tonight' is nice and has some good moments, but it's not one of my preferred ballads at all. I MUCH prefer 'Just another fire.' To any ballad they recorded, in fact. Even the 2nd one on 'SOPSOT' is one of their weaker songs.

And Cody, as for the stand-out song, do you not think 'Come Play The Game' is one of the best songs ever recorded? It would make my top 20 songs of all time, I reckon.

For some reason people seem to notice every time I like a ballad (which 99% of the time in on a harder rocking CD) but no one's taking notes that it's very seldom that "AOR ballads" ever do much for me at all. I actually don't really like those sickly sweet love ballads at all. 'Hold on to tonight' is nice and has some good moments, but it's not one of my preferred ballads at all. I MUCH prefer 'Just another fire.' To any ballad they recorded, in fact. Even the 2nd one on 'SOPSOT' is one of their weaker songs.

And Cody, as for the stand-out song, do you not think 'Come Play The Game' is one of the best songs ever recorded? It would make my top 20 songs of all time, I reckon.

bahahahah, says he who loves Wild Rose. Oh the irony.

backed on CPTG though