I'm Sure We've All Met This Type Of Asshole At Least Once...

Axelinger

You know the type - the holier-than-thou idiot, who speak of their past, embarrassing "heavy metal stage" whenever you happen to mention you like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, etc.

One in particular stands out that I can recall. This guy played on the same baseball team as I did. He was a couple of years older than me and had a side job as a DJ, spinning Madonna and shit like that. I got a ride with him to a game one night, and when I mentioned Deep Purple to him, his reply was a snobby, "Oh, yeah. I listened to them in my heavy metal stage." He said it as if he'd somehow advanced way beyond me into a world of cool I could never fathom. He went further by declaring that the new (at that time) Platinum Blonde album (Alien Shores, I believe) was more musically complex than anything Deep Purple could comprehend. He then slagged Black Sabbath and other heavy bands while praising acts that would prove to fizzle out after one or two albums. In short - this guy was a smug jerk with delusions of grandeur, and the kicker is there are so many of them out there. He was but one of a handful I've met over the years.

I kinda know a guy who does reviews for the local street press. He has left the magzine now, and about a year ago we were talkign about the album reviews in the magazine. I told him that the magzines reviews were so biased and full of shit that someone like Nick Cave or Jeff Buckley could have literally sent in a steaming pile of shit and they would give it 5 stars, whereas any 80's inspired band could produce a gem, only for the magzine to totally trash it.

He sorta agreed and said that one of the reasons he left the magazine was because it had been hijacked by these elitests who think obscure 80s art-neuvo psych pop bands that no-one has ever heard of are the measuring stick by which everything should be measured against.

One of the guys even had a job in our Sunday paper now, reviewing "classic albums". Even myself being a music fan have never heard of half the shit he reviews.

As soon as anyone starts that shit with me, they simply get a very abrupt "Yeah Whatever" and that topic of conversation stops right there.

As the saying goes, "The quickest way to look like a fool is to try and argue with one"

Could not even be bothered wasting my breath on em'.....just :stfu:

Yeah...get this a lot especially at parties. I guess I'm at that age where the parties I go to on occassion involve that age group where they like to reminisce on the classic albums. Most of the stuff they think is fantastic is coffee table rock. You know, stuff they say they like to impress people who ... well know no better. When asked what my fave albums are I'll reel off Aerosmith - Rocks, Montrose -s /t, Jellyfish - Spilt Milk (when I say that one no-one knows who the f@@k they are) e.t.c. and I'll get the old look down the nose and oh yes you like heavy rock do you ... Meatloaf and Bon Jovi eh? Once a line comes out like that I kinda switch off a little as it's obvious that's as far as they go in the hard rock stakes.....well to tell the truth in music stakes as I think they get their taste from whatever the Telegraph or Guardian Sunday supplements recommend as classics.

Then they'll start talking about what they consider to be classic albums, Jeff Buckley (ok not bad), Nick Drake (yes I like him) .... but the one that always gets me is Van Morrison - Astral Weeks .... suddenly everyones falling over themselves to say how great it is. Me......well I wonder if these numbnuts have ever even heard the album (or half the albums they claim as liking) .... I personally have never heard such a badly recorded bunch of rambling pseudo poetic nonsense in my life. Van Morrison has pretty much rested on his fake laurels from that particular overrated piece of vinyl!

And then they'll start getting ALL conteMporary and saying how great Coldplay are :blink: ............. but by then hopefully the beer (or wine) has kicked in or I've left the room.

I guess you could say the most publicly guilty of this sin are magazines like Kerrang, Metal Hammer and Metal Edge. They all sort of went down this route to some degree.

I can't really comment first hand because I'm not as old as all you guys ( ;):lol: ) so I don't really experience first-hand anyone who was and ever will be into this music.

I hear this kinda crap all the time, usually at work. I always bring a big stack of CDs to listen to while I'm working and invariably someone will glance over the pile and say either "I've never heard of any of these bands," or even worse "You still listen to this stuff at your age?" Uh...yeah, I forgot, as soon as I turned 30 I was supposed to dump all my Iron Maiden CDs, start wearing turtleneck sweaters and listen to U2. I must've missed that memo.

>> He sorta agreed and said that one of the reasons he left the magazine was because it had been hijacked by these elitests who think obscure 80s art-neuvo psych pop bands that no-one has ever heard of are the measuring stick by which everything should be measured against. <<

He wrote for Rolling Stone and Pitchfork?????????

In a couple of months I'm going to subject myself to 3 days of musical hell. Every Sept. a bunch of people I went to school with get together in Las Vegas and I'm going this year. The playlist will consist of NOTHING BUT:

AC/DC

Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin

Rush

and the odd pop hit from the early / mid 80's

Now, I like AC/DC and a few of Rush's albums (the early ones) but Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin can take a flying leap as far as I'm concerned. Yet, all these years later that's what these people still listen to daily

I don't really experience first-hand anyone who was and ever will be into this music.

Don't count on it mate.....friends I used to go to rock clubs with suddenly find this desire to listen to junk when they hit 30 - 35, suddenly Alainis Morissette is cutting edge in their books!

I'd have answered this thread, in my forum posting stage.

:rofl: GREAT answer! I worship you! :bowdown:

Yeah, I've had about a thousand arguments over my lifespan, these days I just ignore the morons that have closed themselves off to things supposedly "beneath" them. Is the music I listen to cheesy? Sometimes it sure the fuck is, who cares? It still rocks. :D

Really? Nice. Wanna, uh, I dunno... Grab dinner tonight? Maybe a movie afterwards?

:wub:

Really? Nice. Wanna, uh, I dunno... Grab dinner tonight? Maybe a movie afterwards?

Careful, Geoff; he's a boob-signer.

Careful, Geoff; he's a boob-signer.

That's what I like about him. I already have a pen behind my ear and my pinkest cleavage enhancing dress laid out on the bed in anticipation.