Whitesnake - Slip of the tongue 20th anniversary edition

Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but stumbled on this today:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slip-Tongue-20th-A...ks_all_1#disc_1

The info on Amazon is sparse, but I am assuming the extra tracks on the CD are wither demos or live versions, and that the DVD contains both live and promo videos.

Oh, and add in the 25th anniversary edition of this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slide-25th-Anniver...f=pd_sim_m_h__1

I can't even imagine what improvements could be made to this cd. One of the best recorded and produced cd's ever. Stands the test of time right along with High N Dry, Boston, etc........

Apparently it contains both the US and UK versions of that album (the UK being more rocky and the US version more geared towards being radio friendly).

Like the Slip of the tongue one, I would assume the DVD probably contains a mix of live and promo videos!

How sad for Mr. Coverdale that he thought he could do better by firing the band, who made 1987, and then the follow-up tanked big time. Ever read an interview of Coverdale? He puts down practically everyone he's ever worked with and claims credit for any success they achieve after having had the good fortune to work with His Egoship.

Apparently it contains both the US and UK versions of that album (the UK being more rocky and the US version more geared towards being radio friendly).

Like the Slip of the tongue one, I would assume the DVD probably contains a mix of live and promo videos!

The only reason I'd buy the Slide it In again is to get the UK version.

As Terry said above great album but it would be cool to have both versions.

Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but stumbled on this today:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slip-Tongue-20th-A...ks_all_1#disc_1

The info on Amazon is sparse, but I am assuming the extra tracks on the CD are wither demos or live versions, and that the DVD contains both live and promo videos.

I thought I read somewhere that the bonus tracks where live versions, single versions and maybe some live stuff from the that Starkers in Tokyo acoustic disc with Vandenberg.

My least favorite Snake album due in no small part to the horrific 'new' version of Fool For your Lovin which is one of my all time favorite Snake songs only for it to be totally ruined.

The UK version of Slide it In is heavier than the US version? What about Slip? Same thing? I wouldn't mind checking out a punchier version of either.

I know no-one else does, but I always thought this was a f'ing stunning disc, well deserving of an anniversary edition. "Judgement Day", "Wings of the Storm", "Now You're Gone", "The Deeper the Love" - all outright killer tunes. Plus the guitar work is flawless (how many killer guitarists have this band had?) Long time fans never took to this album and there aren't many that work live (think they only play "Judgement Day" in todays set), but it's my most played 'Snake album and I actually think it's better than "1987" which only took off due to the watered-down version of "Here I Go Again" and that ropey ballad "Is This Love"....

I know no-one else does, but I always thought this was a f'ing stunning disc, well deserving of an anniversary edition. "Judgement Day", "Wings of the Storm", "Now You're Gone", "The Deeper the Love" - all outright killer tunes. Plus the guitar work is flawless (how many killer guitarists have this band had?) Long time fans never took to this album and there aren't many that work live (think they only play "Judgement Day" in todays set), but it's my most played 'Snake album and I actually think it's better than "1987" which only took off due to the watered-down version of "Here I Go Again" and that ropey ballad "Is This Love"....

While I don't think it's better than 1987 I do think it's a great album and don't understand why some people don't like it. I think at the time why it didn't sell well was at least here in the US the band was everywhere. They had the four single from 1987 still all over radio and Mtv, they had just put out a Vhs video, and most of the old releases were getting reissued in the US so everywhere you looked there was something from Whitesnake and then this album comes out in the middle of it.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Didn't Vandenberg hurt his hand or something? For all intent purposes this was supposed to be Adrian's album i thought.I like Slip' but i don't think it holds a candle to the 1987 S/T or Slide It In.Just my take...but i wouldn't mind seeing a Vandenberg/Aldrich collaboration if theres ever a new Snake disc.

While I don't think it's better than 1987 I do think it's a great album and don't understand why some people don't like it. I think at the time why it didn't sell well was at least here in the US the band was everywhere. They had the four single from 1987 still all over radio and Mtv, they had just put out a Vhs video, and most of the old releases were getting reissued in the US so everywhere you looked there was something from Whitesnake and then this album comes out in the middle of it.

Agree 100% aswell. A stunning album. I have always loved Steve Vai, and thought he was excellent on here. The Remake of 'Fool For Your Loving' was poor but not alot else about this disc is.

How sad for Mr. Coverdale that he thought he could do better by firing the band, who made 1987, and then the follow-up tanked big time. Ever read an interview of Coverdale? He puts down practically everyone he's ever worked with and claims credit for any success they achieve after having had the good fortune to work with His Egoship.

Well, Coverdale invests heavily in his albums and career. He re-mortgaged his house to make 1987. He has no time for wasters or musicians expecting huge salaries. It was make or break for him personally. Luckily the gamble paid off!

• 3 weeks later...
I'll tell you what the sleeve notes written by DC for this and 'Slide it in' are superb and quite reveling.

Tc

They are indeed. Great packaging on these too, they're well worth buying again even if you already have them IMO. Like what he says about Steve Vai, that he was so concerned his guitar would be drowned-out by keyboards that he sat in on all the mixes....

Agreed - Two excellent re-issues and well worth getting again even if you have the originals (the 1987 re-issue also fits into that bracket aswell). I did note though that 'Slide It In' misses 2 of the UK remixes for some reason and they have re-jigged the US remix running order aswell to run the same as the UK mix, which is a little annoying. Apart from that, they are excellent.

All of the recent spate of EMI re-issues, whether it be the complete Whitesnake back catologue (that is now complete with these 2) or the recent UFO (now complete also) And Saxon (3 to come) remasters have all been brilliant and is exactly how re-issues should be done in my opinion. Loads of Bonus tracks that are actually of interest and worth having, aswell and fantastic remastering on the sound - I notice that all of these (except the 3 deluxe Whitesnakes) were done by Pete Mew at Abbey Road studios - The boy sure knows how to do a good remaster.

Yeah they've messed up the running order with the "Slip of the Tongue" disc too, the live version of "Judgement Day" is missing so there are 15 instead of the listed 16 songs. Plus, what the hell is different with the U.S remix of "Now You're Gone"? Nothing - that's what...

Great memories of the Donnington Festival in 1990 where the bands best-ever line up (IMHO!) played an amazing gig. They are still killer live these days (though they were a bit flat at Download) & Aldrich is perfect for the band, but there is no substitute for Vandenberg/Vai....