Dream Theater

Holy Shit!! You gotta check out the new song/video from Dream Theaters upcoming new CD. 11237845178786458388.jpg The song is called "A Rite Of Passage" And it Fuckin Rocks! :headbanger: The video is pretty damn good.

This is from Blabbermouth. Check the video out there.

"Black Clouds & Silver Linings" is scheduled for release on June 23 via Roadrunner Records.

In addition to the standard-version CD, "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" will also be available on vinyl LP, as well as a three-disc, special-edition CD that will include the full album, a CD of instrumental mixes of the album and a CD of six cover songs.

Six weeks prior to the June 23 street date, Roadrunner will release one cover song per week through digital retailers.

DREAM THEATER commenced work on "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" — the band's second for Roadrunner, following up 2007's "Systematic Chaos" — in October of last year.

Portnoy and guitarist John Petrucci are once again at the helm as producers, while Paul Northfield mixed the record.

"Black Clouds & Silver Linings" track listing:

01. A Nightmare to Remember

02. A Rite of Passage

03. Wither

04. The Shattered Fortress

05. The Best of Times

06. The Count of Tuscany

Portnoy previously stated about the upcoming CD, "Imagine a DREAM THEATER album with 'A Change Of Seasons', 'Octavarium', 'Learning To Live', 'Pull Me Under' and 'The Glass Prison'... all on one album... COULD YOU HANDLE IT?? Excited? I sure am!!!!"

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=119785

So I really like the sound of the new tune - saw it on Youtube. However simply reading that there are only 6 songs on the album suggests to me that there won't be any less than about 7 or 8 minutes - which is where I lose interest. Awesome artwork, as per usual, but I just can't cope with another album like "Octavarium"....

So I really like the sound of the new tune - saw it on Youtube. However simply reading that there are only 6 songs on the album suggests to me that there won't be any less than about 7 or 8 minutes - which is where I lose interest. Awesome artwork, as per usual, but I just can't cope with another album like "Octavarium"....

Ya, that kind of worries me to Tim. I Love D.T. and Prog Rock/Metal but when the songs seem to go on forever My thoughts move on. And unless its a really kick ass song its a loss. But the one in the video wasnt too long AND it does kick ass. So maybe we will be alright. :tumbsup:

Fantastic track. Can't wait for the album next month. :headbanger:

Backed....As for long songs, as long as the same riffs and changes aren't used over and over, I do not mind it. That's what I love about "A Change Of Seasons". It's like 4 or 5 different songs. I just hope this isn't repetitive like some of their stuff has gotten with the last few releases.

I've listen to "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" right now and all what I can say that the whole album rocks...some very nice tracks on it and some amazing riffs from Mr. Petrucci!!! Much better than the last stuff they had released!!!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard the advance preview tracks that Roadrunner have sent me links to and so far, they have all been top quality. I am really looking forward to hearing all of this in a week or 2, as is usual with a new DT album.

Anybody ordered the massive special limited editon box set...it's ONLY 130 bucks. :blink:

I'll settle for the 3 cd version, as I really don't need the vinyl aswell. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

ok, what is the verdict, DT is one of my favs but to me sorta samey lately??? thanks!!!!

The 3-CD special edition is on sale at Best Buy this week for $14.99 ($14.49 at Amazon), so I picked it up. Haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Packaging absolutely SUCKS. Each CD is in its own cardboard sleeve, and the 3 sleeves slide into one end of the Digipak. Only one problem - The end is open with nothing to keep the 3 sleeves from falling out of the damned thing, so you have to be extra careful on how you pick the fucking thing up.

Lame.

I agree...packaging sucks balls. Just finished listening to disc 1 today & it's pretty damn good. Kinda wish they had done a making of dvd for disc 3 instead of the instrumental mixes, though. I love watching that kind of stuff.

I've been listening to this album since I got it last week, & it just gets better & better with each listen. I can't remember the last time I listened to a cd all the way through & immediately wanted to listen to the whole thing again...I'm listening to it for the 4th time already. There's a lot to digest, but this is some of the best stuff they've written in a long time.

I got the one cd version, no crappy packaging and bonus discs that I don't really want. I'm impressed, I really liked Octavarium and Systematic Chaos was decent but not the best from them. This new one is very melodic and still quite heavy, with Mike Portnoy adding some muscular vocals in spots...not to worry James is still front and center and his vocals are simply stunning. The 6 song, 75 minute factor kinda drives me nuts. I can take a shower, eat breakfast, shave, get dressed and still be on the same song. I like Epic songs, but to have 4 out of 6 that clock in at over 12 minutes is a bit much.

It's safe to say Black Clouds and Silver Linings is in the top half of my favorite studio DT releases and should, barring a flurry of new killer releases make my personal top 10 of 2009. Almost every time a DT album comes out it makes my top 10 of that year.

Here is my personal order of preference....yes another list

1) Images & Words (still my fav release of all time from any band)

2) Scenes From A Memory

3) Octavarium

4) Black Clouds & Silver Linings

5) Awake

6) Systematic Chaos

7) A Change Of Seasons (the song itself would be #2 on my list but the lame live covers bring it down)

8) Falling Into Infinity

9) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (edit this release to 1 disc and cut out the filler, it would be much higher on my list)

10) Train Of Thought (to be fair I listened to it only once or twice and found it too heavy/harsh, I've got to listen to it again)

Hard for me to rank DT albums...kinda depends on my mood, but here goes:

Images & Words

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Train Of Thought

Scenes From A Memory

Systematic Chaos

Octavarium

A Change In Seasons

Awake

Falling Into Infinity

That's not to say that Change, Awake, Falling are bad...just like the others better (today).

my top 5 in order of DT would be

Images and Words

Scenes

Systematic

Awake

Six Degrees

not sure yet where the new one will fit in, maybe 3rd or 4th? I did breakdown and really enjoy it!!!

'Black Clouds..' really is a stunning album in every department and has quickly become a firm fave in their discography. Very heavy still, with some fantastic riffs, but every bit as melodic, so as I have said before, it is fairly accesible in places aswell.

Very hard to rank their albums in order, as I love songs off virtually every album they have ever done and there certainly are no bad DT releases. Here goes.

Images & Words

Systematic Chaos

Octavarium

Scenes From A Memory

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (the first half is especially stunning)

Awake

A Change Of Seasons

Falling Into Infinity

Train Of Thought

'Black Clouds..' really is a stunning album in every department and has quickly become a firm fave in their discography. Very heavy still, with some fantastic riffs, but every bit as melodic, so as I have said before, it is fairly accesible in places aswell.

Very hard to rank their albums in order, as I love songs off virtually every album they have ever done and there certainly are no bad DT releases. Here goes.

Images & Words

Systematic Chaos

Octavarium

Scenes From A Memory

Awake

A Change Of Seasons

Falling Into Infinity

Train Of Thought

Yeah Id agree with that top 3, but with Images and Words miles ahead at the top. Still easily their best and probably wont be topped.

I mean the beginning of 'Pull Me Under' is still wicked to this day.

Images & Words

Systematic Chaos

Octavarium

Scenes From A Memory

Awake

A Change Of Seasons

Falling Into Infinity

Train Of Thought

Yeah Id agree with that top 3, but with Images and Words miles ahead at the top. Still easily their best and probably wont be topped.

I mean the beginning of 'Pull Me Under' is still wicked to this day.

I gotta back the Pull Me Under comment, that song still rocks me hard after all these years. Other than that, maybe I'm not enough of a purist but I like them all, and it just depends on my mood as to which I want to listen to. Fenomenal Phucking band IMO. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Another huge disappointing release for me... It seems that i'm the only one to dislike this new DT album... Imho they loose a lot with the Kevin Moore departure. Now they sound too much heavy, not enough prog, not enough melodic, too much musically demonstrative... And Labrie sing like a dying goat (yes, a dying goat lol). This is just my point of view of course, don't want to hurt any fans here. I deeply regret the Images & Words / Awake period. Mike Portnoy is way too much predominant in the band...

• 1 month later...

at first release, I enjoyed this, not much lately, maybe a grower, we will see

Another huge disappointing release for me... It seems that i'm the only one to dislike this new DT album... Imho they loose a lot with the Kevin Moore departure. Now they sound too much heavy, not enough prog, not enough melodic, too much musically demonstrative... And Labrie sing like a dying goat (yes, a dying goat lol). This is just my point of view of course, don't want to hurt any fans here. I deeply regret the Images & Words / Awake period. Mike Portnoy is way too much predominant in the band...

I agree that without Kevin Moore they are a different band and have lost what he brought to the mix.

I like pretty much everything they've done but haven't heard the new one yet.

Images and Words is still my fav but also love Awake, Scenes from a Memory, Falling into Infinity(not sure why so many fans hate this one), and Train of Thought.