Steel Panther

Glen

Been listening to 'Balls Out' this week. Good album, with 'It Won't Suck Itself' being the best song imo (and also the best song title ... ever?) Love the lyrics; usually ridiculous, but always funny.

I can't see me adding any of these songs to other playlists as they won't fit in, plus there could be a risk of the kids hearing them. As someone suggested earlier, this fulfils a different need and it will get a spin occasionally for a laugh. Anyway, quite a few good tunes, but in terms of 80s-style hard rock, I prefer Dynazty's 2011 album.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been listening to 'Balls Out' this week. Good album, with 'It Won't Suck Itself' being the best song imo (and also the best song title ... ever?) Love the lyrics; usually ridiculous, but always funny.

I can't see me adding any of these songs to other playlists as they won't fit in, plus there could be a risk of the kids hearing them. As someone suggested earlier, this fulfils a different need and it will get a spin occasionally for a laugh. Anyway, quite a few good tunes, but in terms of 80s-style hard rock, I prefer Dynazty's 2011 album.

Was meaning to ask what you thought of the Dynazty? The Euro version is just killer eh? Love that album.

Was meaning to ask what you thought of the Dynazty? The Euro version is just killer eh? Love that album.

Bloody good. For various reasons, I think I've only managed to listen to 3 2011 albums so far, but in order they would be:

1) Serpentine

2) Dynazty

3) Steel Panther

Like them all though, which is unusual.

should be 4 because you also have Blackrain right, listened to it yesterday and it's also still bloody good man, i wonder how come you didn't like it, but good thing for me i might be able to bid that later on eBay lol

should be 4 because you also have Blackrain right, listened to it yesterday and it's also still bloody good man, i wonder how come you didn't like it, but good thing for me i might be able to bid that later on eBay lol

Good point. Yes, I have the Blackrain disc and it would probably be number 3 in that list. It's a good album, but a long way behind 'License To Thrill', which was easily my favourite album of whatever year it came out.

Bloody good. For various reasons, I think I've only managed to listen to 3 2011 albums so far, but in order they would be:

1) Serpentine

2) Dynazty

3) Steel Panther

Like them all though, which is unusual.

Wow mate. You blow my mind. :lol: You're one of the harshest music (and ladee) critics on this board, and in a year of countless amazing releases (which I accept you've not heard), you've somehow settled on the most dime-a-dozen, safe and boring AOR album of the year as your choice to buy and your favourite?! ;):lol: Mate, seriously, to each their own, but you've definitely heard something on that CD that NO-ONE else seems to have got with their copy. Don't get me wrong, it's nice. Every song sits solid around that 7/10 mark and it's a solid 70% album... but wowser. ;)

As for Steel Panther, I literally cannot get 'Tiger Woods' out of my head. And I don't want to. Arguably the best music track of 2011, and a ridiculously catchy and brilliant song.

Ha ha yeah backed. Sorry James but to put that album above Dynazty & Steel Panther is crazy IMO but to each their own

Yep, I'm not the biggest fan of Steel Panther (it won't make my top 10) but it's still better than the Serpentine!

Wow mate. You blow my mind. :lol: You're one of the harshest music (and ladee) critics on this board, and in a year of countless amazing releases (which I accept you've not heard), you've somehow settled on the most dime-a-dozen, safe and boring AOR album of the year as your choice to buy and your favourite?! ;):lol: Mate, seriously, to each their own, but you've definitely heard something on that CD that NO-ONE else seems to have got with their copy. Don't get me wrong, it's nice. Every song sits solid around that 7/10 mark and it's a solid 70% album... but wowser. ;)

As for Steel Panther, I literally cannot get 'Tiger Woods' out of my head. And I don't want to. Arguably the best music track of 2011, and a ridiculously catchy and brilliant song.

:lol:

By the same token, I have the chorus from 'Nuremberg' running around in my head, while 'Tiger Woods' has long departed. If I were to mark the songs I'd go 7 for 'Tiger and 8.5 for Nuremberg.

:lol:

By the same token, I have the chorus from 'Nuremberg' running around in my head, while 'Tiger Woods' has long departed. If I were to mark the songs I'd go 7 for 'Tiger and 8.5 for Nuremberg.

What's really baffling me mate is that you say that The Magnificent is generic and 'heard it all before'....but in truth that Nuremberg song must be one of the most generic AOR songs of the year. Or am I missing something.

Well after quite a few listens, here's my summary -

01. In The Future - intro

02. Supersonic Sex Machine 8/10 (Just a bit throw away for my liking. The playing on this song is outstanding though so still kops a decent score)

03. Just Like Tiger Woods 9/10 (Now this is more like it - mid tempo gem with great lyrics)

04. 17 Girls In A Row 8.5/10 (Nice Motley influenced track..real attitude, although hook could be better. Such a wall of sound though and the production is killer)

05. If You Really Really Love Me 8.5/10 (Ive seen this song panned a bit, but I really really like this ;-) Cool lyrics and a real good hook in the chorus. Short and sweet. nice solo)

06. It Won't Suck Itself 9.5/10 (Absolute killer melodic hard rock...and an awesome solo to boot...the vibe I got from this was Warrant at their best)

07. Tomorrow Night 9.75/10 (one of my favourite tracks of the year - great riff/chorus/lyrics are superb - overall excellent)

08. Why Can't You Trust Me 8/10 (big Community Property styled ballad...not quite as good as that track but still very nice)

09. That's What Girls Are For 9/10 (probably the catchiest track on the whole album - love the lyrics, hilarious, but oh so wrong!! A song-a-long anthem!)

10. Gold Digging Whore 9.5/10 (more brilliance. God, i love this track...I will forever be singing 'She's a gold digger, she's a gold digger....killer stuff IMO. and the spelling out is inspired!)

11. I Like Drugs 8/10 (bit of a small dip in quality - like the song, but hook could be better....ending is funny but pretty pointless and you just want to skip to the next track after a few listens)

12. Critter 9/10 (more killer MHR with an awesome solo)

13. Let Me Cum In 9.5/10 (another killer song - simply put the best verses Ive heard this year. period. Awesome lyrics, yeah just another great song!))

14. Weenie Ride 9/10 (Genius....esp the end when they all join in! Obviously a take on the Kiss classic 'Beth', but this is so well done, and v funny!)

Overall I think this will end up around the 90% mark for me. Great follow up album!

My brief track by track, fyi:

2 - Supersonic sex machine - sold hard rock, but not their best track ; a bit standard for an opener - 7.25

3 - Just like Tiger Woods - killer music track - really stunning actually, and great, very amusing lyrics - great song - 9

4 - 17 girls in a row - absolute killer tune in every way. Contains the swagger in hard rock that's been missing since about 1990. Hilarious and super appealing lyrics too - 9.5

5 - If you really, really love me - great lyrics - some of the most amusing on the disc, and a great ballad - 8.5

6 - It won't suck itself - solid hard rocker but again not as exciting as the band can be - 7.5

7 - Tomorrow night - killer tune with a brilliant hard rock riff and a simple, but huge chorus with a killer closing hook - 8.75

8 - Why can't you trust me - great 80's style ballad with a super hook ; what a chorus - 9.25

9 - That's what girls are for - awesome family anthem - just good, harmless and enjoyable fun with a monster chorus - 9

10 - Gold digging whore - perfect hard rock track, with great lyrics to match. An album highlight - 9.5

11 - I like drugs - super catchy hard rock anthem - 8.5

12 - Critter - another massive hook and great lyrics ; I laugh and sing along at the same time... really great track - 9

13 - Let me cum in - great hook, lyrics and music - not perfect, but I can't fault it - 8.75

14 - Weenie ride - beautiful, touching ballad… very amusing - 8.5

This release lost me on the 2nd spin... In fact, I only listened to appx 2 songs at a time while driving before switching to something else for a while and then coming back. Musically, it's a great CD... but lyrically, it's gets old fast...

@ Geoff - surprising comment on 'It Won't Suck Itself' ? I think that is killer hard rock of the highest order with excellent solo to boot. Also v funny & clever lyrics.

You are right on 'Why Can't You Trust Me' though - that has grown massively & deserves a higher score - great ballad!

@ Geoff - surprising comment on 'It Won't Suck Itself' ? I think that is killer hard rock of the highest order with excellent solo to boot. Also v funny & clever lyrics.

You are right on 'Why Can't You Trust Me' though - that has grown massively & deserves a higher score - great ballad!

'It won't suck itself' and also 'Supersonic Sex Machine' are both very cool songs. A thousand bands could record similar tracks and turn them into fillers, but in each case Steel Panther have made a very good song out of them. 7.25 - 7.5 is still a pretty good score. But just the type of songs they are, I'd rarely rate them that high. Hooks just aren't as exciting for me, despite some cool lyrics.

'Why can't you trust me' is like the kind of ballad you'd hear on the radio in the 80's. It actually reminds me of Roxy Blue, to put a random call out there. Pretty average CD, 'Want some' was, but a handful of killer ballads. Love that song.

'It won't suck itself' and also 'Supersonic Sex Machine' are both very cool songs. A thousand bands could record similar tracks and turn them into fillers, but in each case Steel Panther have made a very good song out of them. 7.25 - 7.5 is still a pretty good score. But just the type of songs they are, I'd rarely rate them that high. Hooks just aren't as exciting for me, despite some cool lyrics.

'Why can't you trust me' is like the kind of ballad you'd hear on the radio in the 80's. It actually reminds me of Roxy Blue, to put a random call out there. Pretty average CD, 'Want some' was, but a handful of killer ballads. Love that song.

IWSI - I got a huge Warrant vibe (Cheery Pie era) from this song....the chorus into solo is a killer.

Pretty average CD, 'Want some' was, but a handful of killer ballads. Love that song.

I hate you for saying this.

Want some was awesome.

yeah Im with the Cap...'Want Some' rocked my balls off. Great album.

Pretty average CD, 'Want some' was, but a handful of killer ballads. Love that song.

I hate you for saying this.

Want some was awesome.

yeah Im with the Cap...'Want Some' rocked my balls off. Great album.

It's an enjoyable CD and I do like it plenty enough - I'd better after the amount of time I spent looking for it way back when. It's just that if I look past all the reasons I should love it and look at the songs for what they're truly worth, I LOVE those three ballads. But of the rockers, there's nothing too amazing on there. Good, well played hard rock but I wanted it to be soooo much better than it ended up being. :)

Ballads are great, but Rob the cradle and their cover of Squeezebox are just awesome tracks.

Fuck me, I am a massive Poison fan, and really like their covers CD, but the only song I am not a huge fan of on it is their version of Squeezebox, and thats purely because of how awesome the Roxy Blue version is.

Roxy Blue - Want Some? is definitely one of the historical piece that one needs to own and enjoy. It deserved at least 90% and yes it's pure awesome, either the ballads and the rocker!

back to Panther, how I love 'Supersonic Sex Machine' and 'It Won't Suck Itself', probably because they have heavy metal tendencies, one of better tracks for me compared to several other tunes.

The other day I have heard someone stated that it's more original than the debut, while I don't think that way, because '17 Girls In A Row' clearly was Poison-ed, 'Tomorrow Night' was Dokken-ized, 'That's What Girls Are For' was Def Leppard-ized, and 'I Like Drugs' was Kiss-ed.

I don't have that problem of course, but compare to the debut, i still think it's better and hookier than this, probably a reason I rated this one lower than it is, but after couple more spins, I think I have arrived at 85%, and Geoff - sounds you also landed on the same score as mine there.

It's also interesting to see how a track is better for some people and not to other people but as a whole album, it gets the same rating.

Roxy Blue - Want Some? is definitely one of the historical piece that one needs to own and enjoy. It deserved at least 90% and yes it's pure awesome, either the ballads and the rocker!

back to Panther, how I love 'Supersonic Sex Machine' and 'It Won't Suck Itself', probably because they have heavy metal tendencies, one of better tracks for me compared to several other tunes.

The other day I have heard someone stated that it's more original than the debut, while I don't think that way, because '17 Girls In A Row' clearly was Poison-ed, 'Tomorrow Night' was Dokken-ized, 'That's What Girls Are For' was Def Leppard-ized, and 'I Like Drugs' was Kiss-ed.

Haha... it wasn't that clear to me. :lol:;) I'd have never in a million years compared '17 Girls in a row' to Poison, to be totally honest. 'That's what girls are for' having Def Leppard tendencies, I'll give you that one. But I don't hear the other 3 at all, no more so than any other band sounding like other bands before them.

But then again, aside from the obvious Bon Jovi and Whitesnake takes on the debut, I've never thought these guys sounded like anyone else but themselves. They play hard rock in a style that many have done before, but they definitely have their very own unique place, imo.

Like others have said before, I think '17 Girls In A Row' sounds a lot more like 'Feelgood'-era Motley than any era of Poison. ;)

My Jap copy of Balls Out arrived and after living with the Euro version for a while I jumped straight onto the Jap bonus tracks. I find the CD as a whole slightly weaker than the debut but the addition of these 2 tracks is making it interesting and I might reconsider in the longer run once we've spent more time together.

Do You Wanna Do Me - sounds like it was lifted straight off the debut both in regards to music and lyrics. In your face:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1-RIQ215vU

Handicapped Slut - sounds a little Leppard and a whole lot mid 80s DLR to my ears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwRAsqhDi1w

Thoughts on these tracks?