Same band. Same song. Different albums

UFO - "Doctor Dotor" from the "Phenomenon" album and also the "Walk On Water" album

UFO - "Lights Out" from the "Lights Out" album and also on the "Walk On Water" album

Would probably just favour the Walk On Water versions but they also do cracking live versions on "Strangers In The Night"

here is my question, how many bands have re-recorded the same song for different albums and which version did you like better.

Tyketto - Standing Alone - I think I like the version off of Strenght In Numbers a little bit better.

I prefer the version off "Don't Come Easy"......Brilliant song either way :tumbsup:

Fuck! Suicidal Tendencies re-recorded their entire first cd with their metal band, and totally annihilated the original, which was orignally recorded with an entirely different band aside from singer Mike Muir, I believe it goes to show,you can have the most talented musicians around(as Rocky George and Mike Clark are 5 star musicians) and you'll never catch the feeling of the original if your hearts not in that type of music!

here is my question, how many bands have re-recorded the same song for different albums and which version did you like better.

Tyketto - Standing Alone - I think I like the version off of Strenght In Numbers a little bit better.

I prefer the version off "Don't Come Easy"......Brilliant song either way :tumbsup:

I heard the SIN version first, which normally ends up being the one I prefer, but after I finally got DCE, I have to admit its the better version on the debut!

Of course there are various bands who have re-recorded a whole album stuff like the recent Kiss disc, or Lynch Mob, but if we are just talking about odd tracks here and there, I have to mention Beth by Kiss.

I know Smashes thrashes and hits was a compilation, but the re-recorded version with Eric Carr on vocals, walks all over the original.

Killer Dwarfs put Doesnt Matter on two albums, but think its the same version.

Enuff Z Nuff re-did their cover of Anything works if you let it, because they disliked how the original sounded!

Motley Crue re-did Home sweet home for the compilation Decade of decandence, and Shout at the devil on the Generation Swine album.

Pink Cream 69 re-recorded a few for the Mixery CD.

LA Guns re-did Ballad of Jane on the Wasted EP.

Tigertailz re-did Livin without you, that ended up on the Banzai CD (they also re-did Noize levelz critical but that was only a single b-side). Plus of course theres a few tracks that were recorded during the Wazbones sessions that ended up on a few other CDs.

These a just a few off the top of my head, but I know there has been loads more!

Saxon - Heavy Metal Thunder - A whole albums worth of re-records, that whilst very good, weren't as good as most of the originals

Journey - Revelation:Re-Recordings - All new recordings with new boy Pineda - Pretty damned good versions too.

Robin Beck - Trouble Or Nothing - Again a whole disc of new versions - Good but not as good.

Are we talking just straight re-records, or alternate versions/arrangements/orchestration?

I thought Firehouse - Good Acoustics was an interesting take on previously-released songs.

Now if you want to take it to an extreme, due to Andre Andersen's ego, Royal Hunt has rerecorded their entire discography every time they change lead singers.

Didn't Babylon A.D. and Baton Rouge both record the song "Desperate".....I think they did and if so I can't remember if there is any difference.

Yes. Babylon AD's version off their s/t is a lot better than Baton Rouge's (off Light out on the Playground)

L.A Guns recorded Crystal Eyes then thought it didn't get the "respect" it should have then re-recorded it for an album a few years later

I thought they just used the same version.

Testament re-recorded a lot of earlier songs on their First Strike is Still Deadly CD

Nazareth re-did Love Hurts quite a few times

Iron Maiden remade Prowler

Doro remade All We Are

And that isn't even Nazareths song, it was the Rightoues Brothers

Testament re-recorded a lot of earlier songs on their First Strike is Still Deadly CD

Nazareth re-did Love Hurts quite a few times

Iron Maiden remade Prowler

Doro remade All We Are

And that isn't even Nazareths song, it was the Rightoues Brothers

Everly Brothers

• 2023 Gold Donors

I'm with you on this one. I prefer the Strength In Numbers version.

Another for me is "Ring Of Fire" by Def Leppard. It was a B-Side off of the Hysteria album and they remade it for the Retro-Active album. I prefer the original B-Side version from Hysteria.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Krokus 'Winning Man' on 'Hardware' over the version they did on 'Heart Attack.

Graham Bonnett recorded a version of 'Since You've Been Gone w/Impelliteri that absolutely smoked the hell outta the one he did w/Rainbow.Udo recorded versions of 'XTC' and 'Generation Clash' with his band that dwarf the ones on 'Eat The Heat'.Then of course George Lynch recorded horsesh*t versions of Lynch Mob and Dokken classics on 'Revolution'.

Molly Hatchet - 'Greatest Hits Re-Recorded'.- Another full disc of re-records, with the newer line up + Phil McCormack on Vox.

Agent - 'S/T' - Fully re-recorded with Troy Reid on Vox.

Alannah Myles - 'Black Velvet' - brilliant track on her debut album and a very so so updated version on her last disc in 2008.

Axe - 'Twenty Years Vols 1-2' - Complete re-records (very close to the originals) of various tracks from the first 4 albums.

Arcangel - 'Stars' - Great song from the S/T album, redone for the Tamorok disc.

Original version is much better in this case, imo.

Europe... with... that song... you know... Open your heart!!

The second version massacres the first version, imo. I didn't even like the first one, love the 1988 version.

Killer Dwarfs put Doesnt Matter on two albums, but think its the same version.

Motley Crue re-did Home sweet home for the compilation Decade of decandence, and Shout at the devil on the Generation Swine album.

Yeah, 'Doesn't matter' is the same on both discs.

Don't forget 'Peice of your action' and 'Live Wire' recorded for the 'Decade of Decadance' disc too. Both much better than the awesome originals, imo.

L.A Guns recorded Crystal Eyes then thought it didn't get the "respect" it should have then re-recorded it for an album a few years later

Yep, as Capt. Howdy said, same song on both CDs. Not a re-recording. Great song too.