AOR / Melodic Rock "Lesser Known" Gems (List)

gener8tr

So I was going through my CD and LP collection last night and it never ceases to amaze me that no matter how many titles I have, I still don't know what to play... you ever get that feeling?

Anyway, what I want to accomplish here is to compile a SMALL / SELECT list of discs that have that special something. A SMALL / SELECT group of discs that are unknown to the masses, that (if) pushed by the label in say 1985 would have been monster hits rather than unknown / lost gems.

The perfect example (for me, anyway) is the BLUE TEARS debut CD. Seriously, how many of us knew about these guys in 1990? If you did, more power to ya! I'm not sure how these guys eluded me so for long, but I don't think I discovered the CD until about 2001 or so... and I've been looking for others like it (with not very good success) ever since.

That said, I am NOT looking to compile a list of artists / albums that everyone here knows. No need to mention Def Leppard, or Harem Scarem, or Giuffruia... I think you know what I mean. I am looking for artists that I know little about that will give me the same rush I felt the first time I heard the Blue Tears debut.

I know that's asking a lot, but I also know this is THE place to ask. So, with that said, think long and hard and give some some names. Again, be VERY frugal with your recommendations. You may know of only one or two... you may not know of any... and that's okay. I'd rather add one "Oh My God" CD to my collection than 50 "So-So's."

Again, I'm looking for strong AOR / Melodic Rock only. BIG chorus, BIG hooks, BIG appeal to my 80's self.

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three of my all-time favourite and not so common titles are:

Intuition - 'Turn it on' ; Just splendid melodic hard rock with great vocals and perfectly excecuted songs. Close to flawless is this disc. The only thing that would have made it flawless is a beefier production job.

Universe - 'Bad Child' ; This should be mentioned in the same sentence as Bonfire's 'Fireworks' and 'Point Blank' and Casanova's debut as one of the classic melodic hard rock releases to come out of Germany. Just a killer album.

Zero - s/t ; The only fault with this one is that there are a couple of fillers, but zomfg when it clicks for them. Of all the CDs I have, when this band nails it their sound is probably as close to perfect as any band I've ever heard. Some simply stunning songs on this album.

Intuition - 'Turn it on' ; Just splendid melodic hard rock with great vocals and perfectly excecuted songs. Close to flawless is this disc. The only thing that would have made it flawless is a beefier production job.

Universe - 'Bad Child' ; This should be mentioned in the same sentence as Bonfire's 'Fireworks' and 'Point Blank' and Casanova's debut as one of the classic melodic hard rock releases to come out of Germany. Just a killer album.

Zero - s/t ; The only fault with this one is that there are a couple of fillers, but zomfg when it clicks for them. Of all the CDs I have, when this band nails it their sound is probably as close to perfect as any band I've ever heard. Some simply stunning songs on this album.

Not sure about Zero or Intuition since I haven't heard them but a big BACKED on the Universe cd, that one kicks butt. :tumbsup:

It took me quite a few spins to get into this, but now im loving it. Yeh there are a few fillers towards the end but the good stuff rocks. I kinda reckon that Zero sound like what Edguy wouldve been if they were an early 90s hard rock band...

I've always thought that the Johnny Lima discs were some under rated gems.

I love the stuff he did with his second band (?) Attitude

Yeah, LOVED Attitude... not crazy about his solo stuff at all.

The perfect example (for me, anyway) is the BLUE TEARS debut CD. Seriously, how many of us knew about these guys in 1990? If you did, more power to ya! I'm not sure how these guys eluded me so for long, but I don't think I discovered the CD until about 2001 or so... and I've been looking for others like it (with not very good success) ever since.

Thanks for the help!

sadly there's not another band like the blue tears - s/t, whats even sadder is there probably won't be another blue tears disc.

Another gem I recall is the China - s/t from 1989, the 2nd pressing with 13 trax.

This along with Blue Tears - s/t & Casanova - s/t, Casanova - one night stand, Skagarack - a slice of heaven, Zinatra - the great escape, Paul Laine - stick it in your ear on the long island label, Treat - organised crime, Treat - dreamhunter, Simon Chase - trill of the chase are flawless fillerless melodic rock masterpieces!

Thanks for the help!

sadly there's not another band like the blue tears - s/t, whats even sadder is there probably won't be another blue tears disc.

Another gem I recall is the China - s/t from 1989, the 2nd pressing with 13 trax.

This along with Blue Tears - s/t & Casanova - s/t, Casanova - one night stand, Skagarack - a slice of heaven, Zinatra - the great escape, Paul Laine - stick it in your ear on the long island label, Treat - organised crime, Treat - dreamhunter, Simon Chase - trill of the chase are flawless fillerless melodic rock masterpieces!

What a wonderful post. I agree 100% and would even throw in 'Sign in the Sky' from China as I actually prefer to that to the debut... just. Both are delicious (and of course 'Fireworks' and 'Point Blank' from Bonfire need to be there).

Now, that's the second time I've seen Simon Chase mentioned in company like this (Andre and Tim (2) - two opinions I value highly). I'm downloading it now and will comment tomorrow. I've never heard it. :(

Thanks for the help!

What a wonderful post. I agree 100% and would even throw in 'Sign in the Sky' from China as I actually prefer to that to the debut... just. Both are delicious (and of course 'Fireworks' and 'Point Blank' from Bonfire need to be there).

Now, that's the second time I've seen Simon Chase mentioned in company like this (Andre and Tim (2) - two opinions I value highly). I'm downloading it now and will comment tomorrow. I've never heard it. :(

I hope your introduction to Mr Simon Chase isn't too far off mate :)

Thanks for the help!

I hope your introduction to Mr Simon Chase isn't too far off mate :)

Sounds pretty good so far. I'm listening to 'Rosanne' now. I can't see it matching the above guys... but it's definitely good. Kind of reminds me a bit of Douglas. Seriously, isn't 'Mad about you' just one of the best songs ever recorded???

Totally agree about the Intuition - Turn It On disc. I think 'Night By Night' is a favourite of mine from that album. As for other albums that match up to Blue Tears, although not really obscure, I'd have to throw Diving For Pearls - S/T in there as well. Another high quality release is Ransom - Trouble In Paradise.

Don't know how rare these are but off the top of my head I'd go with Dalton- injection and Le Mans- s/t. I still play both of these on a regular basis after I missed or ignored them on their initial release. One more to add would be Vain- all those strangers. A fantastic cd that I don't think has ever been given a proper release. The only ones I've ever seen have been boots to say the least.

You may know them by I'd suggest: Vinnie Kay - Where do we go from here (once Robby Valentine's guitarist), Phil Cristian - Prisoner (once Cheap Trick keyboardist) and Lance Powers - st (lots of keyboards, lots of guitars imagine a blend of Shy "Excess All Areas", Mark Free, Bon Jovi, and Dalton)

Difficult to judge what you rate as 'little known'?? But these are some killer albums which still get regular play from me -

China Sky - s/t

From The Fire - 30 Days and Dirty Nights

Heaven Edge - s/t

Joker - Cool Deal

Benny Mardones - s/t

Melidian - Lost In The Wild

After Hours - Take Off

Outlaw Blood - s/t

Skagarack - Hungry For A Game

Wall Of Silence - Shock To The System

Cheers

I've always thought that the Johnny Lima discs were some under rated gems.

Backed. Johnny Lima redefines the word "catchy". Love "Shine On" and "Made In California". Here's hoping he's gonna do another solo cd.

Backed 100% !!

Here are a few more not-so-known gems:

Wayne Smart - Just another Stranger

Lamorna - The Rainhorse (CD 1 only)

Great advice so far guys, thanks! While I have 90% of the stuff mentioned here, there are a few I do not but most certainly will look add shortly.

I guess it's just been so long since I've had that OH MY GOD feeling... seriously, the last time that really happened for me was with BLUE TEARS. Mabey our Aussie freind is right, and there isn't anything out there quite as good?

I need to revist my CHINA collection. I have all of the original West Germany CD's, but it's been a while since I've listened to them.

I'd love to find an entire album with songs as good as PRIDE OF LIONS' - "Gone" Now that one moves me!

I'll have to have a look through when I get home....

Here are a few that immediately spring to mind

Cerafim - Sides of a Different Kind

Flag - Across the Stars

Flag - Book of Conquest

Melidian - Lost In The Wild

Skagarack - Hungry For A Game

Three of my all-time faves - especially that Melidian disc. F*ck me I love that album.

You may know them by I'd suggest: Vinnie Kay - Where do we go from here (once Robby Valentine's guitarist), Phil Cristian - Prisoner (once Cheap Trick keyboardist) and Lance Powers - st (lots of keyboards, lots of guitars imagine a blend of Shy "Excess All Areas", Mark Free, Bon Jovi, and Dalton)

How could I forget Vinnie Kay's gem of an outing & the shy's excess all areas?