AOR / Melodic Rock "Lesser Known" Gems (List)

gener8tr

Here's a list of the top 100 rated AOR albums at HardnHeavy.it

Some of the albums are fairly well known, others not so well known.

I often use other people best of lists like this to find new stuff. Basically if you know that like most of the stuff on the list, chances are you might enjoy the ones you haven't heard of.

Top 100 AOR Albums

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may know them by I'd suggest: Vinnie Kay - Where do we go from here (once Robby Valentine's guitarist), Phil Cristian - Prisoner (once Cheap Trick keyboardist) and Lance Powers - st (lots of keyboards, lots of guitars imagine a blend of Shy "Excess All Areas", Mark Free, Bon Jovi, and Dalton)

I just downloaded Phil Cristian - Prisoner, pretty cool AOR. Great voice.

I often use other people best of lists like this to find new stuff. Basically if you know that like most of the stuff on the list, chances are you might enjoy the ones you haven't heard of.

Top 100 AOR Albums

Thanks for the reminder !! :drink: Have totally forgotten this site !

Top 100 AOR Albums

Thanks for the reminder !! :drink: Have totally forgotten this site !

This list comes from the same website, though is the top 100 Hard Rock/Metal albums of all time.

Top 100 Hard Rock/Metal Albums

Yes, a great site, but I can't read french!

Top 100 AOR Albums

Ok, I am missing 17 CD's from this list. Unfortunately a few of them are damn expensive or not to be found, i.e. John O'Banion. :(

You may know them by I'd suggest: Vinnie Kay - Where do we go from here (once Robby Valentine's guitarist), Phil Cristian - Prisoner (once Cheap Trick keyboardist) and Lance Powers - st (lots of keyboards, lots of guitars imagine a blend of Shy "Excess All Areas", Mark Free, Bon Jovi, and Dalton)

I just downloaded Phil Cristian - Prisoner, pretty cool AOR. Great voice.

It's actually "No Prisoner", isn't it ?! :unsure:

does anyone else like the Hughes / Thrall s.t. from '82 ? Not every track works, but I dig the ones that do; esp. "Who Will You Run To"

Yeah, great disc ! Has been reissued by Rock Candy a few months ago, as you probably know.

does anyone else like the Hughes / Thrall s.t. from '82 ? Not every track works, but I dig the ones that do; esp. "Who Will You Run To"

Yeah, great disc ! Has been reissued by Rock Candy a few months ago, as you probably know.

Awesome disc.

• 3 months later...
Melidian - Lost In The Wild

Skagarack - Hungry For A Game

Wall Of Silence - Shock To The System

Three of my all-time faves - especially that Melidian disc. F*ck me I love that album.

I'm new on this board, but have been browsing this site for 10 years I guess...and last few years I've based my purchases on your and Rycheages comments. Here you go again, Geoff...that Melidian album has everything. :headbanger:

Three of my all-time faves - especially that Melidian disc. F*ck me I love that album.

I'm new on this board, but have been browsing this site for 10 years I guess...and last few years I've based my purchases on your and Rycheages comments. Here you go again, Geoff...that Melidian album has everything. :headbanger:

Haha... wow, thanks mate. :) And welcome aboard! Have a great stay and if you ever want my thoughts on a disc let me know and I'll be glad to assist. :D

Are you sick?

METROPOLIS - The Power of the Night

Awesome underrated AOR with Stan Meissner & Peter Fredette. Absolutely filler free, & maybe even edges out Meissner's own incredible "Undertow" album....

Are you sick?

Probably. But Big G hasn't let me down yet... (well I expected more of that Wall Of Silence album, but good one still).

Haha... wow, thanks mate. :) And welcome aboard! Have a great stay and if you ever want my thoughts on a disc let me know and I'll be glad to assist. :D

Not a good idea ! :whistle:

:tumbsup:

Not a good idea ! :whistle:

:tumbsup:

Don't worry, mate, not everyone has as poor a taste in music as you. Some of us like the good stuff. ;)

METROPOLIS - The Power of the Night

Awesome underrated AOR with Stan Meissner & Peter Fredette. Absolutely filler free, & maybe even edges out Meissner's own incredible "Undertow" album....

Backed. Great disc. 'Wild and Blue' is an absolutely sensational track. But yeah, nothing poor on this one.

Difficult to judge what you rate as 'little known'?? But these are some killer albums which still get regular play from me -

China Sky - s/t

Heaven Edge - s/t

Joker - Cool Deal

Cheers

Good call on these.

Also you might want to try...

Friction - Baby Talk 2008 reissue

Concrete Jungle - Wear And Tear

Zinatra - The Great Escape

Raw Silk - Silk Under The Skin

TREAT - Dreamhunter, The Pleasure Principle, Organized Crime

Lion - Dangerous Attraction

Mad Max - Night Of Passion

Top 100 AOR Albums

Ok, I am missing 17 CD's from this list. Unfortunately a few of them are damn expensive or not to be found, i.e. John O'Banion. :(

This is a great list with some real deserved 'Classics' in there. I'm short of 6 of them.

A few more from me:

* Not yet on CD

Airborne - S/T

Andy Fraser - Fine Fine Line *

Avalon - Every Man A King *

Bourgois/Tagg - Yoyo

Buxx - Knickers Down * (To be released on Retrospect)

Bystander - Stranger Things Have Happened

Tane Cain - S/T *

Conductor - S/T *

Donnie Iris - Fortune 410*

Hyts - S/T

Hyts - Looking From The Outside

John O'Banion - Danger

Keane - S/T

Keane - Today, Tomorrow And Tonight

The Kite - S/T

Laurie & The Sighs - S/T *

Lisa Price - Priceless *

Limousine - Rox U

Lynx - Sneak Attack

Mariner - S/T

Mariner - II

MPG - S/T *

Mayday - S/T

Outrider - No Way Out

Oz Knozz - 10,000 Days And Nights

The Reggie Knighton Band - S/T *

Sandy Stewart - Cat Dancer *

Shelter - First Stop

Sneaker - S/T

Spy - S/T

Stingray - S/T

Trigger - S/T *

John Valenti - I Won't Change

Verity - Interrupted Journey

Zappacosta - S/T

Though not a bigtime AOR fan... One of my favorite lesser known gems is PRICE-SULTON ~ "Lights On" from 1986.

This one was recorded while both Thommy Price and Kasim Sulton were members of Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. No filler on this one... great songs such as "Shotgun Shy", "Shanna", and "Somethings Gonna Happen" (with background vocals by Joan Jett) make this an enjoyable listen all the way through. I remember years ago when I got both to sign my CD that Kasim told me he din't even have a CD copy himself. He actually said he didn't even know it was released on CD.

PS ~ Any of Kasim solo release are far under appreciated. They all are very good.

Incase you didn't already know... I believe Kasim Sulton to be one of the most underrated musician off all time. Everything he has been involved with is quality.

Top 100 AOR Albums

This is a great list with some real deserved 'Classics' in there. I'm short of 6 of them.

A few more from me:

* Not yet on CD

Airborne - S/T

Andy Fraser - Fine Fine Line *

Avalon - Every Man A King *

Bourgois/Tagg - Yoyo

Buxx - Knickers Down * (To be released on Retrospect)

Bystander - Stranger Things Have Happened

Tane Cain - S/T *

Conductor - S/T *

Donnie Iris - Fortune 410*

Hyts - S/T

Hyts - Looking From The Outside

John O'Banion - Danger

Keane - S/T

Keane - Today, Tomorrow And Tonight

The Kite - S/T

Laurie & The Sighs - S/T *

Lisa Price - Priceless *

Limousine - Rox U

Lynx - Sneak Attack

Mariner - S/T

Mariner - II

MPG - S/T *

Mayday - S/T

Outrider - No Way Out

Oz Knozz - 10,000 Days And Nights

The Reggie Knighton Band - S/T *

Sandy Stewart - Cat Dancer *

Shelter - First Stop

Sneaker - S/T

Spy - S/T

Stingray - S/T

Trigger - S/T *

John Valenti - I Won't Change

Verity - Interrupted Journey

Zappacosta - S/T

I've heard of a few of these titles Jez. The Stingray album is good.

Bourgois/Tagg - Yoyo - I'm sure I have this one on CD....maybe a bootleg? I'll dig it up shortly and tell you the details.

Here's a few I've loved for a long time, but they're not that unheard of...

a.k.a. - Dangerous Addiction

Airrace - Airrace

Beau Coup - Born and Raised On Rock and Roll

Spys - Spys/Behind Enemy Lines

Again, pretty "meat and potatoes" stuff, but great just the same.

Too many great album metioned in this trhead, Treat ,Raw silk I quote.

STEELHOUSE LANE-METALLIC BLUE AND SLAVES OF THE NEW WORLD, I WANT A THIRD ALBUM

TOWER CITY-A LITTLE BIT OF FIRE AND ALL OR NOTHING

SILENT WITNESS-S/T AND THRILLS