AOR / Melodic Rock "Lesser Known" Gems (List)

gener8tr

Here's a few I've loved for a long time, but they're not that unheard of...

a.k.a. - Dangerous Addiction

Airrace - Airrace

Beau Coup - Born and Raised On Rock and Roll

Spys - Spys/Behind Enemy Lines

Again, pretty "meat and potatoes" stuff, but great just the same.

Backed on that - all great ones, especially the magnificent Spys debut :tumbsup:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already own most of the CD's listed here (I have a lot of CD's :) ), but one stood out as a glaring omisson... METROPOLIS - POWER OF THE NIGHT.

Well, I finally received it and it is nothing short of BRILLIANT and has SUMMER OF 1986 written all over it.

Thanks to whomever made the recommendation (Tim2?)! This is some damn-good AOR / Melodic Rock!!!

MORE LIKE THIS ONE, PLEASE!!!!!

The Ladder-still not on cd

Airrace

Icon-Scene of the Crime

Fortune

Andy Frasier

just a few

and add

LeRoux-Fired Up

RPM

I-Ten

Rio-Borderland

Giant-Last of the Runaways

Whiteheart-Freedom

Aviator

John Eddie-Cold Hard Truth

Difficult to judge what you rate as 'little known'?? But these are some killer albums which still get regular play from me -

China Sky - s/t

Heaven Edge - s/t

Joker - Cool Deal

Skagarack - Hungry For A Game

Cheers

Good call on these.

Also you might want to try...

Friction - Baby Talk 2008 reissue

Concrete Jungle - Wear And Tear

Zinatra - The Great Escape

Raw Silk - Silk Under The Skin

TREAT - Dreamhunter, The Pleasure Principle, Organized Crime

Lion - Dangerous Attraction

Mad Max - Night Of Passion

here's one for ya with my friend rory... :tumbsup:

Some of you may have already seen this list as its been around for a long time now, but this is the top 100 AOR songs of all time as listed by the author of the Strutter 'Zine website. A pretty cool list which includes many "lesser known" AOR gems. The big suprise for me on this list is seeing Stone Soup - Hard Fall come in at number 75. A great song, but I find it the odd one out as that album wasn't released until 1997 whereas most of the other songs on this list come from classic 80's AOR albums.

A very interesting list, which might give you some ideas of bands/songs to check out:

Strutter 'Zines Top 100 AOR Songs Of All Time

• 1 month later...
I already own most of the CD's listed here (I have a lot of CD's :) ), but one stood out as a glaring omisson... METROPOLIS - POWER OF THE NIGHT.

Well, I finally received it and it is nothing short of BRILLIANT and has SUMMER OF 1986 written all over it.

Thanks to whomever made the recommendation (Tim2?)! This is some damn-good AOR / Melodic Rock!!!

Assume you have STAN MEISSNER's own classic "Undertow" album? Not sure if it's better than METROPOLIS but is definitely on par with it, with no hint of a filler track whatsoever.

Assume you have STAN MEISSNER's own classic "Undertow" album? Not sure if it's better than METROPOLIS but is definitely on par with it, with no hint of a filler track whatsoever.

Backed - both discs are excellent.

Here's a list of the top 100 rated AOR albums at HardnHeavy.it

Some of the albums are fairly well known, others not so well known.

I often use other people best of lists like this to find new stuff. Basically if you know that like most of the stuff on the list, chances are you might enjoy the ones you haven't heard of.

Top 100 AOR Albums

Ok, I am missing 17 CD's from this list. Unfortunately a few of them are damn expensive or not to be found, i.e. John O'Banion. :(

This is a great list with some real deserved 'Classics' in there. I'm short of 6 of them.

A few more from me:

* Not yet on CD

Airborne - S/T

Andy Fraser - Fine Fine Line *

Avalon - Every Man A King *

Bourgois/Tagg - Yoyo

Buxx - Knickers Down * (To be released on Retrospect)

Bystander - Stranger Things Have Happened

Tane Cain - S/T *

Conductor - S/T *

Donnie Iris - Fortune 410*

Hyts - S/T

Hyts - Looking From The Outside

John O'Banion - Danger

Keane - S/T

Keane - Today, Tomorrow And Tonight

The Kite - S/T

Laurie & The Sighs - S/T *

Lisa Price - Priceless *

Limousine - Rox U

Lynx - Sneak Attack

Mariner - S/T

Mariner - II

MPG - S/T *

Mayday - S/T

Outrider - No Way Out

Oz Knozz - 10,000 Days And Nights

The Reggie Knighton Band - S/T *

Sandy Stewart - Cat Dancer *

Shelter - First Stop

Sneaker - S/T

Spy - S/T

Stingray - S/T

Trigger - S/T *

John Valenti - I Won't Change

Verity - Interrupted Journey

Zappacosta - S/T

Jez, how does that Shelter (1983) disc compare with say Survivor (early)?? As good??

Also what about Steeplechase.......is that worth tracking down.

Cheers - PM me if you have any info.

Some of you may have already seen this list as its been around for a long time now, but this is the top 100 AOR songs of all time as listed by the author of the Strutter 'Zine website. A pretty cool list which includes many "lesser known" AOR gems. The big suprise for me on this list is seeing Stone Soup - Hard Fall come in at number 75. A great song, but I find it the odd one out as that album wasn't released until 1997 whereas most of the other songs on this list come from classic 80's AOR albums.

A very interesting list, which might give you some ideas of bands/songs to check out:

Strutter 'Zines Top 100 AOR Songs Of All Time

Interesting list that, definitely contains some of my all-time fave tunes. Though the Top 2 are just bizarre; KISS and ROBERT TEPPER?! I mean, KISS' "Forever" is a good tune, but the best AOR song of all-time? WTF?

Plus the highest JOURNEY song is "Separate Ways" (nowhere near one of their best songs) is only at 40!

Andy Fraser - Fine Fine Line *

100% backed

This album is pure AOR masterpiece and deserve a proper CD release

Top notch classy AOR

I had heard of Blue Tears in 90, only because we had a great station here in Utah, that would literally debut a brand new song every hour on the hour, still all I could ever find was a cassette of it, I didn't find the cd till like 96, here's some of the bands I heard from that station,that were virtually unknown until the internet really kicked in, Seems like I've done this before but cans remember!

Melidian - Lost In The Wild

Mozart - S/T

Sundogs - Wild Season

American Angel - S/T

Syre - It Aint Pretty

Triangle - Raw Feed

Hittman - Viva Machina

Singsing - S/T

Dirty Rythem - Hard As A Rock

Jesse Strange

Saints & Sinners

Childs Play

Drive - Diablero

Eyes

Tuff - What Comes Around

Hiest - High Heel Heaven

Diving For Pearls

Von Groove

Chroming Rose - Pressure

Big House

White Heat - We Never Heard Of

Roxus - Nightsreet

Jet Red

Cold Sweat

Jet Circus - Step On It

T-Ride

Britton - Rock Hard

Vicious Rumours - S/T & Welcome

Harlow

Skunk Anansie - Sunburnt & Paranoid

that's just to name a few,if that station had never existed, who knows how much I'd have never known about.

Copperhead - S/T

Copperhead - Live & Lost