Have your music tastes changed over the years?

I don't know if I'm alone in this but my tastes in music have shifted around considerably over the years. Back in the 70s I first got into music with Black Sabbath, Led Zep , Deep Purple , Judas priest etc this was the way until the 80s when hair/sleaze/glam came along and while I didn't lose interest in metal I did mainly listen to the Motley Crue, Warrant etc type of bands.

When hair/sleaze/glam seemed to die out... :crying: in the 90s & was replaced by grunge, I found myself with few options. A few grunge bands were okay (damn few). There was still some decent metal around fortunately and I found myself getting into much heavier music like Megadeth & Metallica and doom metal. This led to melodic death metal like Sentenced & Dark Tranquility. I was also into power metal big time. Then about 5 years ago I got tired of the death/doom metal and when the power metal genre got so bad I couldn't tell the difference between one band and another I found myself adrift musically again.

Fortunately I soon discovered that hair/sleaze/glam was making a comeback and that is what I mainly listen to today. However thanks to HH, in the last year I now find myself getting into AOR. If someone had told me 5 years ago that I would be listening to AOR and enjoying it I would have laughed in their face :yikes:

So what has your musical journey been like??

Great post mate :tumbsup:

I started out liking Scorps, Sabbath, AC/DC, Rainbow and Accept.

Throughout the 80`s onwards I`ve been into Rush,Iron Maiden, Journey, Styx, Loverboy, Night Ranger, Y&T and various AOR stuff.

My tastes have changed in that I now listen to Led Zeppelin and Kansas and some older bands.

I`m not up to date on modern bands, I don`t like today`s music very much , so I guess I`m stuck in a time warp :lol:

My tastes haven't changed, just expanded. My mission in music has always been to listen to the most melodic, biggest choruses, meatiest riffs and delicious hooks. I get it wherever I can. I used to think it could only be delivered through 80's hard rock/metal and was as tentative as ever when I tried out my first "modern" band in Marvelous 3 and then SR-71. But what do you know... they showed you didn't require a massive head of hair to create magic. And they opened the gateway to a mass of modern hard rock bands I now love alongside my beloved 80's "hair metal" bands.

At the end of the day, though, I'm still just chasing those big melodies, big riffs and almost most importantly, passionately delivered music.

My tastes haven't changed, just expanded. My mission in music has always been to listen to the most melodic, biggest choruses, meatiest riffs and delicious hooks. I get it wherever I can. I used to think it could only be delivered through 80's hard rock/metal and was as tentative as ever when I tried out my first "modern" band in Marvelous 3 and then SR-71. But what do you know... they showed you didn't require a massive head of hair to create magic. And they opened the gateway to a mass of modern hard rock bands I now love alongside my beloved 80's "hair metal" bands.

At the end of the day, though, I'm still just chasing those big melodies, big riffs and almost most importantly, passionately delivered music.

Well put. Just gimme those anthemic choruses with massive backing vocals.

Yeah a little bit. I used to go mainly for the hard rock thing with a touch of pomp/prog (not counting my love for the Eagles back then), Aerosmith, Godz, Head East, Starz, UFO, 1994, Storm, Thin Lizzy, Boston, Triumph, Yes, The Boyzz, Saga, Zon e.t.c. - but I started mellowing out a little and that's when the Babys, Journey, Foreigner etc started making appearances. I remember when I used to go to hard rock clubs and people would get up to dance to Journey's - Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' ....guys dancing ....and not headbanging in a ROCK CLUB!! What a fuckin' disgrace I thought...puffs!

But then it all changed when I started to get into Foreigner, Babys and Billy Squier around 1980/81 and against all my better judgement and to the chagrin of some of my friends bought Journey - Escape (and loved it). That's when I realised that some "mellower" stuff rocked out just as hard as anything else I loved....it was just different, the music flexed it's muscles in a display of power rather than going for the jugular...which was more seductive in a way hahaha!

Anyway since then I've got into psychedelic stuff and ambient stuff (even total drone like Bass Communion hoho...odd!!) even horror of horrors almost trance bands like Shpongle, Eat Static...and out and out hippy stuff such as Gong, Ozric Tentacles, Hidria Spacefolk, Ship of Fools, Kevin Ayers and Steve Hillage.

But I still like all the stuff I used to ... so maybe as Geoff points out my tastes haven't changed either...just expanded.

Yeah a little bit. I used to go mainly for the hard rock thing with a touch of pomp/prog (not counting my love for the Eagles back then), Aerosmith, Godz, Head East, Starz, UFO, 1994, Storm, Thin Lizzy, Boston, Triumph, Yes, The Boyzz, Saga, Zon e.t.c. - but I started mellowing out a little and that's when the Babys, Journey, Foreigner etc started making appearances. I remember when I used to go to hard rock clubs and people would get up to dance to Journey's - Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' ....guys dancing ....and not headbanging in a ROCK CLUB!! What a fuckin' disgrace I thought...puffs!

:rofl2:

I wouldn't say they've "changed" as much as they've "progressed." Yea, I still like all the silly cheezy 80s metal that I loved in my youth, that was the stuff that got me on the Highway to Hell to begin with, I also went thru a heavy Thrash Metal phase in the mid to late 80s, a Euro Power Metal period in the mid to late 90s, and dabbled in some other genres in between (i.e. punk and 70s hard rock)... it's all good... I don't "drop" one genre in favor of another, my music collection just keeps getting bigger. :P

As others have said my tastes have just expanded too.

I still love 80's style Metal/Hair Metal but also love to listen to old Traditional/Classic Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Power Metal and some Prog Metal. I also love both Southern and Classic Rock.

Like most others, my tastes have broadened over the years. My preference is late 70's to early 90's AOR/MR/Pomp/ Southern and Progressive stuff and that has remained over the years. I Still love the old school Brit metal bands like Sabbath, Maiden, Priest and Saxon etc, as I was a NWOBHM kid, but hearing some of the lesser bands in that area now, I do wonder why I listened to them at the time. I listen to quite a bit of stuff outside of the genres on HH, but my main core of stuff is still the same as it was all those years back and listening to the majority of crap that is being churned out these days, will remain so.

In the 70's I started out with Cheap Trick, Foreigner, AC/DC and Ozzy.

In the 80's i went heavy into the sleaze/glam era plus Whitesnake, Priest and Dio.

In the 90's I liked Alice N' Chains and Pearl Jam. I started to discover bands from the 70's that I was too young and missed out on. UFO and Thin Lizzy mainly.

Now I still listen to most of my above choices and not much Pearl Jam or AIC. Not sure why it didn't stick with me. The others did though.

In the 80's i went heavy into the sleaze/glam era plus Whitesnake, Priest and Dio.

In the 90's I liked Alice N' Chains and Pearl Jam. I started to discover bands from the 70's that I was too young and missed out on. UFO and Thin Lizzy mainly.

Now I still listen to most of my above choices and not much Pearl Jam or AIC. Not sure why it didn't stick with me. The others did though.

Wow dude, that's me too... scary!

Does your wife laugh @ some of the stuff you listen too also? Mine likes all that new crap from Thousand Foot Crutch to Coldplay! :poop:

Does your wife laugh @ some of the stuff you listen too also? Mine likes all that new crap from Thousand Foot Crutch to Coldplay! :poop:

:lol: My wife actually likes a bunch of the stuff I listen to, but she does step outside my taste range as well. The Eminem phase was particularly grueling from a spousal standpoint... <_<

:lol: My wife actually likes a bunch of the stuff I listen to, but she does step outside my taste range as well. The Eminem phase was particularly grueling from a spousal standpoint... <_<

You too!!?? LOL....except my wife went the Fitty Cent route.......... :hammer: ...thank GOD that only lasted for one CD....and then she tells me she ended up buying it only for the one song "Candy Shop" or something.....LOL

I will say this....my wife's musical tastes are all over the place....from stuff like Katy Parry and Leona Lewis to R&B....to Def Leppard and Bon Jovi....to Faith Hill and Shania and a bunch of other Country artists...

You too!!?? LOL....except my wife went the Fitty Cent route.......... :hammer: ...thank GOD that only lasted for one CD....and then she tells me she ended up buying it only for the one song "Candy Shop" or something.....LOL

I will say this....my wife's musical tastes are all over the place....from stuff like Katy Parry and Leona Lewis to R&B....to Def Leppard and Bon Jovi....to Faith Hill and Shania and a bunch of other Country artists...

:lol: My condolences on the Fitty Cent Jim, not sure which is worse (I think it's a tie)! My wife's tastes are pretty varied too, but when I met her she had a lot of the same cassettes I did, so I knew at least there was some common ground. :)

• 2 weeks later...

"My tastes haven't changed, just expanded. At the end of the day, though, I'm still just chasing those big melodies, big riffs and almost most importantly, passionately delivered music."

Very well put - although those crappy K-Tel albums I received for Christmas many moons ago are surely buried under tons of other garbage in a landfill back in Ontario.

Who can really explain what the hell happened to my tastes? I started off liking Westcoast AOR (my Dad loved Airplay/Chicago/The Eagles) and then I heard Metallica's "...And Justice For All" and got into Metal, .... and Thrash... and Death Metal.... All the while still liking AOR and a lot of 80's Hair Metal... As time's have changed I've just evolved to liking what's current.

I'm one of the few around here that loves Screamo/Metalcore (Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying), largely because I liked aggressive vocals through Death Metal when growing-up, but also because - frankly - these kids are incredibly talented musicians.

The result being I love everything from pop (Leona Lewis/Kids in Glass Houses) through AOR (Chicago/Airplay) and MHR/Modern Rock (Harem Scarem/Fair Warning) and Metal (Iced Earth/Lamb of God) to Death/Grind (Despised Icon/Deicide).

Pick the bones out of that.

• 1 month later...

As I`m regretting all the great albums, cassettes and cd`s I`ve sold over the years due to my ever changing musical tastes, I`m slowly starting to buy them back.

My tastes are changing back to my prime years in the 1980`s :tumbsup:

Bloody expensive it`s proving too :headbanger:

As I`m regretting all the great albums, cassettes and cd`s I`ve sold over the years due to my ever changing musical tastes, I`m slowly starting to buy them back.

Yeah, financially not a very wise decision ! :tumbsup:

Yeah, financially not a very wise decision ! :tumbsup:

A terrible decision my friend, really annoys me when I think of what I had :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

I can relate on some level to pretty much everyone that has posted. I do agree that my taste has "evolved" more than changed. Hey, experience has to count for something. I grew up on on classic rock (Kiss, Sabbath, Hendrix, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper,etc.) but kept craving for something heavier. By high school, it was almost all thrash (Death Angel, Fobidden, Dark Angel, Testament, Slayer,etc.). College was more thrash and even death metal (Entombed, Morbid Angel, Sepultura,Suicidal Tendencies, etc.). No matter what phase I was in, I always went back to my hard rock roots. When I got a job and started making some money (finally) my collection expanded as well. I listen to the hard stuff on all levels but the golden years (to me anyway) get much more airplay. The 70's and 80's were the best time for music IMO and yes, I do feel the best music has been recorded. That said, I still wake up each day with an open mind towards discovering that lost gem (or even a new one).