AFL and Rugby League

Dave

How many times have you heard about people who have later regretted getting certain tattoos....The entire team will now have wished they did not do this :whistle:

387185-melbourne-storm-tattoos.jpg

387197-melbourne-storm-tattoos.jpg

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EXPLOSIVE new documents detailing secret payments to Melbourne Storm players were handed to investigators.

Acting Storm boss Matt Hanson surrendered documents, kept at his home, that detail allegedly illegal third-party payments to three players.

But they show that in at least one case the player was told all payments would be kept within the salary cap.

Sources said police also spoke to auditors investigating the paper trail left by several Storm officials.

The Herald Sun believes Storm and the NRL were handed the dossier, which detailed illegal payments that rose to as much as $700,000 this year.

It is believed the secret dossier was originally kept at home by former Storm CEO Brian Waldron, who quit his post at the rugby union Melbourne Rebels in disgrace.

It is the first hard evidence of this year's alleged rorting. Details also were surrendered for 2008-09.

The documents are believed to describe how the third-party payments were made; in one case, everything the player was to be paid was through this illegal system, believed to include sponsorship. It is believed the letters give the impression, or state explicitly, that Storm will guarantee the payments.

The dossier is likely to be central to inquiries into how Mr Waldron allegedly masterminded Australia's biggest sporting scandal by breaching the salary cap by $1.7 million over five years. The controversy has brought the club to its knees as sponsors quit.

The Herald Sun believes details of the payments were shuffled between Storm's offices and the homes of Mr Waldron and Mr Hanson.

Storm sources said the rorting centred on the illegal third-party payments and fake invoices. Some players were allegedly paid in $15,000 increments, special game day bonuses being dressed up as third-party hospitality payments.

The Storm board was kept in the dark. Club chairman Rob Moodie warned yesterday it was touch and go for the Melbourne-based rugby league team, but he was hopeful strong backing would keep it afloat.

He said Mr Waldron told him salary cap cheating was widespread. Asked why he had breached the code, Mr Waldron allegedly said: "Because everyone else did it."

Storm's fate was in the balance after super fund Host Plus and Members Equity Bank pulled sponsorships thought to be worth $1 million-plus.

Minor sponsor and clothing manufacturer Skins also withdrew backing.

Of 18 sponsors, only Harvey Norman and Jayco have been categorical in support. Suzuki, Makita and sportswear company KooGa were considering their positions.

A spokesman for Gatorade, which has sponsored Storm for 12 years, said the sports drink company would "not be making any drastic changes".

Lord Mayor Robert Doyle said he expected the City of Melbourne to continue its $35,000 sponsorship.

Sport Minister James Merlino met the NRL and club owner News Limited, publisher of the Herald Sun, to discuss Storm's future.

There was speculation the scandal would spread to other clubs.

A senior player manager said the scandal was just the tip of the iceberg for the NRL: "Waldron said everyone is doing it. Well, he'd be right.

"They call it 'overs', as in 'he's on overs' or over what's been registered. I can't imagine any club in the NRL that's not rorting the system: there would be plenty of the other 15 clubs who would have CEOs and boards now issuing instructions to clean up their act," the manager said.

He said one well-used trick was for a club to assign a particular poker machine to the player and allow all its takings to flow to him.

Another was for a sponsor or third party to be asked to pay an extra amount that might be put in an overseas bank account.

"But if the manager came around with a bag of money a few times a year, who would know?" the manager said.

He said Storm and, previously, the Canterbury Bulldogs, had been caught because of a whistleblower and not because of NRL auditing.

- Evonne Barry and Russell Gould

You would be very naive to think they are the only club doing it and that is not just in the NRL, it would also be happening in the AFL

And Melbourne beating Brisbane :blink:

Just imagine if that Melbourne fucktard had not dropped the mark in the goal square against those maggot ridden Pies a few weeks back :doh: , Melbourne would be in the top 3 at the moment.

Anyway, Richmond will get belted again later today against Fremantle :anon:

Just listening to the Storm v Warriors game on the radio now and it sounds like there is still a lot of support for the Storm. I still don't agree with this concept, or understand how the league can let a team that is now known to be over the salary cap... how they are allowed to take the field and play against teams who are still under the salary cap and playing for a premiership... I cannot fathom it. But anyway, I'm glad the fans are sticking by them. I guess it'll sort out the real fans from the posers. I still like to think the actual players were relatively innocent in this whole debacle.

On a worthwhile note, though, good win by the Eels on Friday night up in Townsville, with Thurston back early from injury. Nice, fellas, real nice.

Anyway, Richmond will get belted again later today against Fremantle :anon:

Fuck me, we kicked the first 5 goals and still lost by 7 goals :anon:

Oh....and just when you think things can't get any worse, we play Geelong next week......... :yikes: Lord have mercy on us !!!!!!!!

Oh....and just when you think things can't get any worse, we play Geelong next week......... :yikes: Lord have mercy on us !!!!!!!!

Well, the good lord showed us no mercy <_< .....We got absolutely belted by 108 points :anon:

:rofl2: Battle of the no-hopers next week......Richmond vs Adelaide....Neither side has won a game yet :lame:

So as of next week there will be only one side who has not won a game this year and I can guarantee you, it will be Richmond :anon: ....useless fucks <_<

Awesome win by the Eels on the weekend, but on a general note the other results are killing me in the tipping comps.

• 2 weeks later...

:anon: We are now officially the only side in the competition still to have not won a single fuckin' game !!!!!!

Half way through the last quater the scores were even and we still manage to lose by 50 fuckin' points..... :wtf: ..... :lame:

What shocking weekend i had,

1st Storm lost

2nd Liverpool lost in EPL

3rd Saints lost.

:anon:

Hate to tell you mate, but the Saint's have no hope of getting the flag without Riewoldt.

The only time Kosi gets a kick is when Riewoldt is there taking the best defender and time and time again he has proven this point.

Even the Saints supporters were giving him the bronx cheer when he touched the ball.

1st Storm lost

That was wild. Everyone on the planet had the worst tipping weekend ever, and there were only 4 games. I picked the Titans over the Knights (which was only by 2 points and apparently included a very dubious call against the Knights) and I think everyone on earth got the other 3 wrong.

1st Storm lost

That was wild. Everyone on the planet had the worst tipping weekend ever, and there were only 4 games. I picked the Titans over the Knights (which was only by 2 points and apparently included a very dubious call against the Knights) and I think everyone on earth got the other 3 wrong.

Now with reality setting in and the emotion starting to die down in regards to the Storm, I think you will start to see a fair few more losses from here on in because what in the fuck are the players now playing for ???????

The answer..........SWEET FUCK ALL !!!!!!!!!!

1st Storm lost

Now with reality setting in and the emotion starting to die down in regards to the Storm, I think you will start to see a fair few more losses from here on in because what in the fuck are the players now playing for ???????

The answer..........SWEET FUCK ALL !!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, we all expected it to happen in time, but as the commentators said, I don't think anyone anywhere expected it this early, and against Brisbane of all teams (who were legitimate wooden spoon contenders before Melbourne stole it). Plus it was down in Melbourne in their new stadium. Totally took me by surprise this early.

3rd Saints lost.

Hate to tell you mate, but the Saint's have no hope of getting the flag without Riewoldt.

And getting beaten by Essendon I think just proves the point !!

I think Collingwood and Geelong are the best two easily and unless the Dogs can really get it going and the Saint's get Riewoldt back ASAP, I think we will be seeing the Pies and the Cats playing in that last game of the season.

Collingwood play Geelong this Friday night as well and they are showing it live on TV so this one should be a cracker.

The Tigers lost again but only by 3 points against Hawthorn which really does not say to much at all for the Hawks.....Oh, have they fallen quick for a side that was expected to contest for a top 4 position !!!

Damn Pies keep winning!

Not tonight :rofl2:

The maggots got a bit of a reality check from the Cats tonight !!!!!

Cop that Eddie, Mick and the rest of you fucktards :fu:

Damn Pies keep winning!

Totally backed Dave :tumbsup

This should quieten the horde of fucking Collingwood muppets who boast that it's Chokekingwood's year,remember there's a long way to go yet you fuckin' tryhards. :2up:

Damn Pies keep winning!

Totally backed Dave :tumbsup

This should quieten the horde of fucking Collingwood muppets who boast that it's Chokekingwood's year,remember there's a long way to go yet you fuckin' tryhards. :2up:

The standard from both sides was fuckin' shocking though.....Shit loads of mistakes !!!!!

So I get back into the country to hear the Mighty Eels toppled Manly in a great victory, only to lose to the f*cking useless Sharks (AGAIN!) the following week?! Why can every team beat the Sharks by 80 points, but the Eels have lost the last 6 against them, or something ridiculous like that?

Anyway, my mate taped both games while I was away so I look forward to seeing them both. :) With beers.

1st Storm lost

3rd Saints lost.

C'mon Doggy all is not lost! Looks like a Saint may be a dad soon ;)

I wonder who could it be? Milne?

I hope Michael Voss (greatest name in AFL) can give it to old Mick this weekend!

1st Storm lost

3rd Saints lost.

I hope Michael Voss (greatest name in AFL) can give it to old Mick this weekend!

Now now !!! That's not a nice thing to say about Sir Mick & his legion of troops !!!

Go Pies !! ;-)

1st Storm lost

3rd Saints lost.

Now now !!! That's not a nice thing to say about Sir Mick & his legion of troops !!!

Go Pies !! ;-)

We have a intruder,the enemy is within our ranks.Begone foul legion and return to your cells,commission flats and line up at Centrelink. :nyanya: