Dokken Or RATT

Dokken Or RATT  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It was always RATT for me. Ive been a HUGE fan dating back to early 1984 when Out Of The Cellar was first released.

I liked Dokken, but didn't appreciate them nearly as much as most other bands of the genre for some reason. I "think" it was because my friend Pat loved them SO much and always said how much better they were that Motley Crue and Def Leppard (I begged to differ).

I wish I could go back in time to 1984 and change things a bit as I've become a much bigger Dokken fan having spent the better part of the past 15 years listening to bands and albums I skipped over during the 80's... man there was a LOT of good stuff back then!

Anyway, both of these bands are REALLY good, and can easily be mentioned in the same breath. Very similar(ish).

I had to tamp down on the Ratt comeback and vote for Dokken. As much as I enjoy Ratt's riff-rock and DeMartini's licks, I've always thought George Lynch was otherworldly. Those flatted fifths and natural sevenths are creepy and cool all at the same time. And "Back for the Attack" is a virtual bible of heavy guitar licks for any self-respecting hair metal wannabe. :headbanger:

Mr. Scary - 1

Misspelled rodent - 0

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Voted for Dokken; i prefer Dokken's more heavy metal feeling over Ratt's more sleazy one; and Dokken has the better vocalist, imo.

But anyway, i only have 3 Dokken albums and 2 Ratt: Back for the Attack,Under Lock and Key,Tooth and Nail for Dokken and Out of the Cellar,Invasion of Your Privacy for Ratt; maybe you guys could give me some advice on which albums to get next from both bands...

Agree with others that this is a tough call. Went for Ratt, as my favourite songs by them are slightly better than my favourite songs by Dokken, but both bands have put out some great albums.

Dokken. Ratt had a better guitar player in Warren Demartini IMO, but Dokken had way cooler songs and better vocals.

I would have to say that DeMartini could only wish to sniff Lynch's jock.

Well, I think that DeMartini had a way better lead style. Kinda like Schenker meets EVH. Lynch had wicked riffs, but his solos sound like random wankery to me.

Random wankery?? Man, you need to listen to the music and the solos. Lynch would wipe his ass with DeMartini's solos and laugh at his riffs. :whistle: