Questions about genres/bands

Witchfinder

There's no hard and fast rules, but bands that were exclusively 60s or early 70s, I would say not. If, however, the majority of their work was released during the period that HH is focused upon (late 1970s through early 1990s) and the style fits, then yes.

In most cases, albums from the 1960s and early 70s you'll see listed here are early works from bands who are more highly defined by their later works, and are included here for comopleteness.

If a band is primarily heavy metal, it most likely is more appropriate for BrutalMetal.com.

-Dan

I knew about the genre boundaries of HH, but I didn't know about the "late 70s - late 90s" thing. Still, it's a matter of opinion if Led Zeppelin came to glory in the late 70s opposed to the more melodic and late 70s band Foghat. Thanks anyway. I asked my questions and they were duly answered. Cheers! ;)

Good question. They are all over the map stylistically. They have definite hard rock elements, but at times are more traditional progressive or "experimental". I don't have strong feelings either way. I'll let some other folks chime in with opinions as to wether PF should be included here at HH.

The name "Pink Floyd" certainly does not immediately conjure images of "80s hard rock", but I can see an argument there.

Thoughts?

Definite no from me. And not just because I personally dislike them. It's just not the type of music/band I associate HH with. For lack of a better term and forsaking all musical reasoning, when I think of the music on the site I generally think of "hair" related artists. With Pink Floyd here, people will then wonder why not The Beatles. And the snowball will continue to roll.

Well, maybe a fourth brother should be born - classicrockbands.com or whatever in the vein of heavyharmonies.com, brutalmetal.com and heavensmetal.com. Because let's face it guys, there's metal-archives for metal bands, but there's no such site for rock bands. Spirit-of-metal/rock sucks big time (Pretty Maids listed as Speed Heavy, wtf?!). I want this site to be the best in all the subgenres of rock music as it has been so far in the melodic area.

There are 139 prog rock bands on HH, so I see no reason why Pink Floyd are not mentioned. Quite frankly I am amazed they are not on here.

As for comparing Pink Floyd to The Beatles.......... :screwy:

Like comparing chalk and cheese, lol.

There are 139 prog rock bands on HH, so I see no reason why Pink Floyd are not mentioned. Quite frankly I am amazed they are not on here.

My intention wasn't to compare their music at all. Punk. ;)

• My Little Pony

Mmm, chalk.

There used to be a lot more Prog bands listed on HH that were removed at one stage if I remember correctly .Over time some have re-appeared (Pendragon, Arena, Marillion) so I see no reason not to put Pink Floyd on the pages. Good point on Genesis.and a few others too,.. depending on Prog bands being allowed on HH. To me HH remains the reference site for way more things than just Hair bands and I would love to see more varied types of 'melodic' & 'Rock' bands appear on the main site.

Jez, what's your opinion about early 70s hard rock bands?

Depends on who you are talking about, but any who are considered Hard Rock, then they should probably be on here. It is very difficult to know where to draw the line when it comes to this, but one band I think should definitely be on the Hallowed Pages are Free, who are a good example I think. At times they rocked way more than some of the bands featured on HH yet were more diverse in their approach with influences from Rock, Soul, R'n B and Blues, plus more importantly they were a major influence on quite a few bands later on. Foghat, Mountain,Golden Earring, all are absent too and should defo be featured.

My intention wasn't to compare their music at all. Punk. ;)

OK, but to think that the likes of Pink Floyd being included would even lead some (punk) to claim that the Beatles be included is equally ludicrous.

The fact is as Jez mentions that there are many 'classic' bands not featured here and it is a bit of a mystery why that is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jez, what's your opinion about early 70s hard rock bands?

Depends on who you are talking about, but any who are considered Hard Rock, then they should probably be on here. It is very difficult to know where to draw the line when it comes to this, but one band I think should definitely be on the Hallowed Pages are Free, who are a good example I think. At times they rocked way more than some of the bands featured on HH yet were more diverse in their approach with influences from Rock, Soul, R'n B and Blues, plus more importantly they were a major influence on quite a few bands later on. Foghat, Mountain,Golden Earring, all are absent too and should defo be featured.

Well for a good example I believe, would be the MC5, who were probably the heaviest of heavy for the time frame, KICK OUT THE JAMS MOTHERFUCKERS!!!