Recommended hard rock books ?

ptrocks

I have one that is called Hard Rock & Heavy metal Encyclopedia. It's a blue cover with orangish hot pink lettering. I'll have to dig it out and tell you the publisher and year. It's not the years you wanted, but it goes up to 83-84 or so. It's a great reference book. No pics, but almost every band from that era you've ever heard of or never heard of is in there. I'll go look for it later

Guest RR-Finland

Well, I´m pretty sure that you have heard book called "The Dirt". The life of Motley Crue. It´s written by Neil Strauss. I´ve got that one in last christmas (when it was finally translated in Finnish) and I must tell you, I haven´t readed any book that fast before! It´s awesome and my respect about Motley Crue raised pretty much!

If you are interested about Swedish hard rock and heavy bands, I must recommend "The Encyclopedia Of Swedish Hard Rock And Heavy Metal 1970-1996". It´s written by Janne Stark and it has 381 pages with great fotos. Very easy to read and gives very good info about Swe bands era. Also book incl. 16 tracks bonus cd, with rare and previously unreleased material (Europe, 220 Volt, Yngwie M., Radioactive, Talisman etc.)

For my opinion, bonus cd´s tracks aren´t so killers what you might be expect, but book is a bible for hard rockers and heavy maniacs!

• 4 weeks later...

A great reference book I use is called "The great metal discography".

It covers most genres up to the modern day.

Try http://www.canongate.net

The books number is ISBN 1 84195 185 4

Should be $25 (US)

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, thanks for the help, i will probably try to get the Rockdetector and Swedish Encyclopedia too, altough the latter is not very easy to find (damn, even the BOOKS are rare :D )

I have read the Dirt, and you're right, its awesome, biographies don't (can't) get any better :P

Swedish Encyclopedia will be re-relased with both part 1 & 2 + updates somwhere in the near future, i spoke to the the author not long ago, it´s gonna be a big, big book!

Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal by Ian Christe

I LOOOOOVE this book. I have the original cover. If you thought you know heavy metal, wait til you read this.

Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal by Ian Christe

I LOOOOOVE this book. I have the original cover. If you thought you know heavy metal, wait til you read this.

Yup great great book and I think I've read it probably at least 3 times and go back to every so often just to remind myself of some odd fact.

If you're a Kiss fan at all, Behind The Mask is one of the best music related books I've ever read. They cover every album and every song with input from the people that wrote, played and recorded them (very surprising who actually played on a lot of those songs). Very informative and no punches pulled. Great book imo.

Hey guys, thanks for the help, i will probably try to get the Rockdetector and Swedish Encyclopedia too, altough the latter is not very easy to find (damn, even the BOOKS are rare :D )

I have read the Dirt, and you're right, its awesome, biographies don't (can't) get any better :P

Paulo......Jane Stark actually wrote two separate volumes of "The Encyclopedia of Swedish Hard Rock and Heavy Metal". There is volume one covering the period 1970-1996 and then Volume II picked up after 1996 and also covers some of the bands missed on the first volume. They are both excellent references with band histories and some evaluations plus both hard back books come with a compilation CD with some rare tracks.......a must have for collectors!!! :drink:

I like the Popoff review books, obviously it's not easy reading material as it's just tens of thousands of reviews but the guy is funny and has a knack for ripping into something. It does cover many metal music styles tho so if you're only into hard rock you might find yourself turning a few pages between reviews. The 1980s book is the best one so far IMO just because of the huge time in metal that it was!