Unexpected Metal Moment

Fat Freddy

I had another "Unexpected Metal Moment" earlier this week that I felt was funny enough to merit bringing this thread back from the dead...

I was in ShopRite last night with my wife and when a gray haired, middle-aged couple (they had to be in their mid to late 50s) came walking down the aisle towards us, wearing matching Trans-Siberian Orchestra "Winter Tour" t-shirts. I couldn't help myself, I sez "Great shirts! Great band!" and the woman replied (spoken in thick as hell Jersey accent, mind you) "Oh my GAWD, you KNOW them? They're soooo a-MAY-zing! You evah been to one'a their Holiday shows? Oh my GAWD, it's INCREDIBLE. We seen'em tree or four times, you GOTTA go, it's an EXCELLENT concert." I swear to God, I am not making this up! Even my WIFE was trying not to chuckle at their unabashed display of fanboy-ism. When we were safely in the next aisle I said to my wife "I wonder if they've ever heard any old Savatage? Bet if we played 'em some "Hall of the Mountain King" or "Dungeons are Calling" they'd freak!"

My co-workers were playing some TSO last winter and I actually asked them, "have you ever heard of Savatage?" Of course the answer was no. It cracks me up the amount of people that are aware of TSO and theirs probably only 5% of those same people that know who Savatage is.

TSO played here in Seattle tonight -- unfortunately I couldn't go (a bit too loud for a 2-month old!). The girl who took over for me at work had tickets, and I told her I was a big fan as well. So we start talking about all the songs, shows, etc. Then I said something about Savatage and she looked at me like I had a foot growing out of my head!!!

Do you have a foot growing out of your head? I am only ask because why else would she look at you like that?

• 7 months later...

Geez, it took me FOREVER to find this old thread I started many moons ago... well, anyway, during all the hustle and bustle of my new son's birth today, I still managed to have an "Unexpected Metal Moment." Here's a pic of a sign over a hospital house phone that I saw while my other son and I were wandering the hospital halls for a while as we waited for my wife to come out of the recovery room... odd that a place of healing would choose THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST as an emergency extension, eh?? I couldn't resist snapping a pic with my cell phone camera, as it was a much needed chuckle at a stressful time... :lol:

666.jpg

Geez, it took me FOREVER to find this old thread I started many moons ago... well, anyway, during all the hustle and bustle of my new son's birth today, I still managed to have an "Unexpected Metal Moment." Here's a pic of a sign over a hospital house phone that I saw while my other son and I were wandering the hospital halls for a while as we waited for my wife to come out of the recovery room... odd that a place of healing would choose THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST as an emergency extension, eh?? I couldn't resist snapping a pic with my cell phone camera, as it was a much needed chuckle at a stressful time... :lol:

666.jpg

That's awesome. :headbanger:

666.jpg

Dude that's fucking Classic!!!!! :banger:

666.jpg

Poison control too???? Does that stop 'em releasing anymore albums! Arrrgghhhhhh sorry Geoff! :lol:

666.jpg

Poison control too???? Does that stop 'em releasing anymore albums! Arrrgghhhhhh sorry Geoff! :lol:

Yes, if you find out Poison are playing in your town, you call that # and they send somebody right out to break Bret Michaels' kneecaps. :rofl2:

666.jpg

Yes, if you find out Poison are playing in your town, you call that # and they send somebody right out to break Bret Michaels' kneecaps. :rofl2:

That's just how we roll in Joisey, right Keef? Fuhgettaboutit... ;)

• 7 months later...

Had another Unexpected Metal Moment this evening....the wife and I were watching a re-run of "Dog Eat Dog" on Game Show Network and one of the competitors was Ravi Jakhotia, who played drums for Crimson Glory on their STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL album. (He didn't mention C.G. during the show but when the hostess asked him "What do you do, Ravi?" he did say "I'm a drummer.") I was like "WOW, I know who that dude is!" and went & grabbed my STRANGE & BEAUTIFUL CD off the shelf to show my wife his pic on the back cover.

Ravi ended up winning $5,000. Good for him I say!

Had another Unexpected Metal Moment this evening....the wife and I were watching a re-run of "Dog Eat Dog" on Game Show Network and one of the competitors was Ravi Jakhotia, who played drums for Crimson Glory on their STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL album. (He didn't mention C.G. during the show but when the hostess asked him "What do you do, Ravi?" he did say "I'm a drummer.") I was like "WOW, I know who that dude is!" and went & grabbed my STRANGE & BEAUTIFUL CD off the shelf to show my wife his pic on the back cover.

I could never get into that album, it sounded so forced. :(

I recently upgraded it to CD after many years and to be honest I think I like it better now than when it was a new release. It's not "classic" C.G. but it's got some good stuff on it. At the time it was a little weird and experimental, even for them. So it took me fifteen years or so to finally 'get it.'

Still, Everything Else By Crimson Glory > Strange and Beautiful

I recently upgraded it to CD after many years and to be honest I think I like it better now than when it was a new release. It's not "classic" C.G. but it's got some good stuff on it. At the time it was a little weird and experimental, even for them. So it took me fifteen years or so to finally 'get it.'

Still, Everything Else By Crimson Glory > Strange and Beautiful

That sounds reasonable, and kinda makes me wanna dig out my copy of it, wherever it is for one more try.

That sounds reasonable, and kinda makes me wanna dig out my copy of it, wherever it is for one more try.

Ravi's drumming is probably the best thing about the album. That dude could slam the ol' tubs.

this is kinda like that story about the mid 50s couple liking TSO, went we went to Spain back in 2005 i saw a guy who musta been in his late 60s wearing a Guns N Roses T-shirt...

im thinking to myself "this guy probably grew up with Swing and Big Band music and he listen to Guns N Roses?"

just kinda weird to think that a guy that old likes a band as controversial as GnR..

That's pretty cool!!!! :headbanger:

I have GOT to upgrade My cassette of Strange and Beautiful to CD one of these days.. Is it even in print still??? :blink:

I have GOT to upgrade My cassette of Strange and Beautiful to CD one of these days.. Is it even in print still??? :blink:

Metal Mind Productions reissued it about a year ago, in a limited edition of 2000 copies...I'd say check Amazon, brother...

Metal Mind Productions reissued it about a year ago, in a limited edition of 2000 copies...I'd say check Amazon, brother...

I'll go off on a bit of a tangent here (so what else is new? :anon: ), but does anyone else have trouble playing the Metal Mind CD's? I bought the two Lillian Axe releases recently, and fuck me if they'll play on my car CD player... haven't tried them at home or on the 'puter yet. Forgot about it until I saw your post... :(

I'll go off on a bit of a tangent here (so what else is new? :anon: ), but does anyone else have trouble playing the Metal Mind CD's? I bought the two Lillian Axe releases recently, and fuck me if they'll play on my car CD player... haven't tried them at home or on the 'puter yet. Forgot about it until I saw your post... :(

I've only gotten a couple of the Metal Mind CDs, haven't had that particular problem myself, but I have heard of other folks having issues with 'em. One of the critics in Metal Maniacs magazine said the last 5 or 6 Metal Mind reissues he was sent to review would only play in some of his CD players, but not in others.

I did have other "issues" with a batch of Metal Mind CDs that I reviewed for Detritus 'zine last year though... even started a thread about it here:

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.ph...p;hl=Metal+Mind

<_<

SWEET!! :headbanger: found it on Amazon actually, with a bonus tune.... Far Away?? That any good??

SWEET!! :headbanger: found it on Amazon actually, with a bonus tune.... Far Away?? That any good??

?? "Far Away" is the last song on my CD, which is an original pressing (Atlantic Records) from 1991 and if memory serves it was on my old cassette copy as well... so what's so "bonus" about that? Is it a live version, a demo, whatever? :blink:

But anyway, in answer to your question, yes, that's a cool tune, one of the better ones on the CD. It's a spacey ballad, a nice way to close things out.

Backed...I still have it on CD and I don't know why...I heard so many good things about it ...I don't like it....oh well, prolly my metal clogged ears... :beerbang:

?? "Far Away" is the last song on my CD, which is an original pressing (Atlantic Records) from 1991 and if memory serves it was on my old cassette copy as well... so what's so "bonus" about that? Is it a live version, a demo, whatever? :blink:

But anyway, in answer to your question, yes, that's a cool tune, one of the better ones on the CD. It's a spacey ballad, a nice way to close things out.

Hmmmmm... According to Amazon it's a Radio edit?? :blink: But then someone reviewed it, saying, No it's the album version, which begs the same question, Why call it a bonus track??? :blink: :blink:

I heard an acoustic version of Def Leppard's 'Two steps behind' on a radio station in Bundaburg and then an Iron Maiden song on a radio station in Forster on my recent holiday. I don't know how uncommon that is elsewhere, but it does not happen in Australia.

Pete, I haven't had any problem at all with my Metal Mind Lillian Axe cds.

They play just fine in both my stereo in the house and in the car.

I heard an acoustic version of Def Leppard's 'Two steps behind' on a radio station in Bundaburg and then an Iron Maiden song on a radio station in Forster on my recent holiday. I don't know how uncommon that is elsewhere, but it does not happen in Australia.

That's not as uncommon as you might think.. :whistle:

That IS a strange combination though, an acoustic tune followed by Maiden... Definitely strange indeed.... :blink:

That's not as uncommon as you might think.. :whistle:

That IS a strange combination though, an acoustic tune followed by Maiden... Definitely strange indeed.... :blink:

The rock station here plays Nirvana, Avenged Sevenfold, Motley Crue, Led Zeppelin and whatever todays flavor of the day rock song is there. It's a really good mix. Yesterday though, they had to almost ruin it by playing "Wanted:Dead Or Alive" by Bo and Luke. :yikes: