Unexpected Metal Moment

Fat Freddy

Thought you all might get a kick outta this story:

My son has been doing really good with his potty training the last couple of weeks so on Saturday the wife & I took him to Toys-R-Us to get him something as a reward. I happened to be wearing my old Metallica “And Justice For All” tour T-shirt (from 1989; it’s one of the only two “back in the day” concert shirts of mine that still fits) and as we were walking around the store one of the employees, a dorky lookin’ kid who looked like he was about sixteen, comes up to me and sez “Hey, great shirt! Great band! Did you see’em on the Summer Sanitarium Tour last year?” I was like “Uh…no, I haven’t seen them since 1992, actually…” Before I could go into my usual spiel from there about how Metallica have pretty much been dead to me SINCE 1992, this kid was talking my ear off, goin’ on and on about how he loved LOAD and RE-LOAD (I should’ve punched him in the mouth just for that), but that he didn’t like GARAGE INC. much (I definitely should’ve punched him in the mouth for THAT) and he wasn’t crazy about St. Anger either (well, at least we agreed on that much…) He sez he’s seen them a bunch of times and that “They still kill on the old stuff when they play live!” Then he sez “I guess you’ve been into them since the beginning, huh?” (Way to make your customer feel OLD, kid, thanks a lot…) I kinda went “Uh, yea, since Kill’Em All, man, old school.” (Meantime I’m thinkin’ “Kid, get away from me. I was listening to this band before your DADDY was old enough to jack off.”) Fortunately he then had to go help another customer cuz he was really starting to get on my nerves. At least he respected the T-shirt…

I knew this band was over back around the time Load was out.

I was managing a Foot Locker and playing the local radio station and the song "Aint My Bitch" was playing.

While the song was playing a 12 year old girl was singing it word for word, and I knew at that moment that Metallica would never be the same because when I was 12 Metallica would of terrified me but now their safe enough for children of all ages.

Hell, it happened to me WAY before "Ain't My Bitch"... I started getting off the boat around the time "Enter Sandman" was being played on MTV and radio every five minutes

I was looking at the water by Ride the Lightning and jumped ship by Master of Puppets. Still love Kill em All and it still gets a regular play ... but when RTL came out I thought it was overproduced (this coming from an AOR/Pomp kinda guy) and sucked out a little of the rawness that made the band so special. Still have the No Life Til Leather demos somewhere too.

I was managing a Foot Locker and playing the local radio station and the song "Aint My Bitch" was playing.

While the song was playing a 12 year old girl was singing it word for word, and I knew at that moment that Metallica would never be the same because when I was 12 Metallica would of terrified me but now their safe enough for children of all ages.

Way off subject, but I use to manage Foot Lockers too.

Now that you worked there do you ever shop there anymore?

At a recent gig, a top-sort commented on the Crashdiet t-shirt i was wearing and said she would rip it right off my back. I told her I was also wearing crashdiet underwear in hoping she would also want to rip those off aswell. Maybe next time...

QUOTE(Metal Jay @ May 8 2006, 05:56 PM)

QUOTE(heaven&hell @ May 8 2006, 12:48 PM)

Now that you worked there do you ever shop there anymore?

Would not let me use the quote option. To answer your question though, No I never go in them anymore. The stripes make me wanna hurl. I bought enough shoes to last me a lifetime before I left. Whenever they gave us those 30% coupons to give to friends and family, I would use it to get a few pairs. I literally have about 50 pairs of unworn shoes in my closet. Mostly New Balance Running shoes. Where did you manage stores at? I managed most of the stores in San Diego at one time or another. Did you guys send the newbies after the "wall stretcher"? Have them running from Foot Locker to Lady Foot Locker to Champs to Kids Foot Locker to Kinney Shoes. It was awesome.

I didn't work in a Foot Locker but I can relate... I held a shitty job at a local K-Mart for four summers and winter breaks when I was in college, and for about a year after I graduated till I found a quote-unquote "real" job. After all that I can't even stand to set foot in a K-Mart anymore. Too many bad memories!

Would not let me use the quote option. To answer your question though, No I never go in them anymore. The stripes make me wanna hurl. I bought enough shoes to last me a lifetime before I left. Whenever they gave us those 30% coupons to give to friends and family, I would use it to get a few pairs. I literally have about 50 pairs of unworn shoes in my closet. Mostly New Balance Running shoes. Where did you manage stores at? I managed most of the stores in San Diego at one time or another. Did you guys send the newbies after the "wall stretcher"? Have them running from Foot Locker to Lady Foot Locker to Champs to Kids Foot Locker to Kinney Shoes. It was awesome.

New Balance kicks heiney!! Only running shoe I wear..... comfy! :bananamac:

carry on :P

• 2 months later...

I had another "Unexpected Metal Moment" earlier this week that I felt was funny enough to merit bringing this thread back from the dead...

I was in ShopRite last night with my wife and when a gray haired, middle-aged couple (they had to be in their mid to late 50s) came walking down the aisle towards us, wearing matching Trans-Siberian Orchestra "Winter Tour" t-shirts. I couldn't help myself, I sez "Great shirts! Great band!" and the woman replied (spoken in thick as hell Jersey accent, mind you) "Oh my GAWD, you KNOW them? They're soooo a-MAY-zing! You evah been to one'a their Holiday shows? Oh my GAWD, it's INCREDIBLE. We seen'em tree or four times, you GOTTA go, it's an EXCELLENT concert." I swear to God, I am not making this up! Even my WIFE was trying not to chuckle at their unabashed display of fanboy-ism. When we were safely in the next aisle I said to my wife "I wonder if they've ever heard any old Savatage? Bet if we played 'em some "Hall of the Mountain King" or "Dungeons are Calling" they'd freak!"

I had another "Unexpected Metal Moment" earlier this week that I felt was funny enough to merit bringing this thread back from the dead...

I was in ShopRite last night with my wife and when a gray haired, middle-aged couple (they had to be in their mid to late 50s) came walking down the aisle towards us, wearing matching Trans-Siberian Orchestra "Winter Tour" t-shirts. I couldn't help myself, I sez "Great shirts! Great band!" and the woman replied (spoken in thick as hell Jersey accent, mind you) "Oh my GAWD, you KNOW them? They're soooo a-MAY-zing! You evah been to one'a their Holiday shows? Oh my GAWD, it's INCREDIBLE. We seen'em tree or four times, you GOTTA go, it's an EXCELLENT concert." I swear to God, I am not making this up! Even my WIFE was trying not to chuckle at their unabashed display of fanboy-ism. When we were safely in the next aisle I said to my wife "I wonder if they've ever heard any old Savatage? Bet if we played 'em some "Hall of the Mountain King" or "Dungeons are Calling" they'd freak!"

My co-workers were playing some TSO last winter and I actually asked them, "have you ever heard of Savatage?" Of course the answer was no. It cracks me up the amount of people that are aware of TSO and theirs probably only 5% of those same people that know who Savatage is.

My co-workers were playing some TSO last winter and I actually asked them, "have you ever heard of Savatage?" Of course the answer was no. It cracks me up the amount of people that are aware of TSO and theirs probably only 5% of those same people that know who Savatage is.

I would say that 5% is probably too high a number... T.S.O. are a platinum selling act in the U.S. and a huge concert draw (especially during the holiday season) yet how many people bought the last Savatage album? A few thousand at best? No wonder Savatage takes so long between records nowadays.

I would say that 5% is probably too high a number... T.S.O. are a platinum selling act in the U.S. and a huge concert draw (especially during the holiday season) yet how many people bought the last Savatage album? A few thousand at best? No wonder Savatage takes so long between records nowadays.

I don't know if Savatage will ever record again. With TSO, John Oliva's Pain, Criss Caffery's band, and now Jeff Plate is playing with Metal Church, I don't see when these guys will have time. I was hoping they would record again with Zach but he also seems quite busy with a new Circle II Circle coming out in the fall.

Sometimes I think Jon Oliva should just drop the "Pain" band name and just call his current band Savatage. I figure he's got every right to, and from what I understand, their live set lists are half Savatage classics anyway. He'd probably sell just as many records, if not more, too.

u think one of the two drummers for TSO Joe Franco will ever get The Ladder back together or a remaster???? hehehee

• 4 months later...

Had another "unexpected metal moment" that I thought merited bringing this thread back from the dead once again... last night my wife and I were in the local Radio Shack to buy a new cordless phone. While she dithered with the salesperson my son and I wandered off to the audio/video department to look at the TVs and so forth. I started fooling around with a boom box that was hooked up to Sirius Satellite Radio. (I should mention here that I do not have satellite radio at home and had never touched one of these units before.) So I started turning the dial up and down looking for the metal station, till finally landed on "Hard Attack." The volume on the unit seemed to be turned all the way down because I couldn't hear any music, so I started tapping on the "+" button for the volume again and again... and still couldn't hear anything. After scratching my head for a moment and going "WTF? Is this thing busted?" I realized that there was a set of headphones plugged into the unit. I pulled out that plug and BOOM! I had turned up the volume SO high that Corrosion Of Conformity's "Paranoid Opioid" blasted thru the store SO LOUD that I think the entire town heard it! YIKES!! Naturally I turned it down damn quick, with an apology to all the other shoppers in the immediate vicinity. Well, that was embarrassing... :blink:

just a note, when TSister was first signed and around the time of Under the Blade, they were still playing clubs in Central Jersey.

One night, an unknown band from the west opened up for TSister, it was Metallica, probably a few months after they came to Jersey to see Joe Z who owned a little record shop in the Columbus Market, funny thing they came all the way out here for that, but it turned out great.

anywyas, not sure the crowd knew what to think of them, raw, but really great and they played all of Kill em all and a few covers, very cool!!!

TSO played here in Seattle tonight -- unfortunately I couldn't go (a bit too loud for a 2-month old!). The girl who took over for me at work had tickets, and I told her I was a big fan as well. So we start talking about all the songs, shows, etc. Then I said something about Savatage and she looked at me like I had a foot growing out of my head!!!

silly question.... who is TSO? i dont know anything about them, yet own some Savatage cds...

Trans-Siberian Orchestra is the brainchild of longtime Savatage producer Paul O'Neil... when Savatage's DEAD WINTER DEAD came out in '95 the track "Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24)" started getting a lot of surprise radio play here in the U.S. around the holiday season, so Savatage's label wanted 'em to come up with a whole album based around that track. Rather than release it as a Savatage album, O'Neill and Jon Oliva started a whole new project called Trans-Siberian Orchestra, brought in a whole mess o' other musicians and vocalists and released a (fantastic) holiday rock opera album called CHRISTMAS EVE AND OTHER STORIES in 1996. It sold more copies than the rest of the Savatage catalog combined so THE CHRISTMAS ATTIC followed in '98, then the non-holiday BEETHOVEN'S LAST NIGHT in 2000 (or '01, can't remember exactly). THE LOST CHRISTMAS EVE came out in '04 (I think? I don't have the CDs handy at the moment) and the T.S.O. holiday concert tours have become such a huge draw in the U.S. that there are now actually two different touring companies doing shows around the country every holiday season.

All the T.S.O. releases are listed on the main H.H. site: http://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/band.cgi?BandNum=3133

Hope that helps!