Last movie you watched?

66 mustang

The Martian

SPOILER ALERT-entertaining but to me the film never created any feeling of dread. As a viewer I never believed that he may in fact die or be in any threat at all.

I felt the same. I prefer my Sci-Fi with more Fiction, and less Science, so some kind of creature would have been nice.

I gave up on the book after 70 pages of growing potatoes

Zzzzzz

Didn't even know it was a book. This is why I don't read.

Just because the book 'The Martian' is a turkey is no excuse not to read.

I would say out of all the films I have ever seen in 99% of cases the book(s) is / are better.

Solomon Kane - decent sword and sorcery flick

Is it better than the books?

"Metal Obsession: Collecting Heavy Metal Records" (2016)

A cool indie documentary about heavy metal vinyl and the obsessed fans who still love it. When these metal lifers from all corners of the globe start telling stories about how they discovered metal during its formative years it'll bring back a lot of memories.

I think you will dig this indie documentary about cult/horror films( Subtitles in English availiable)

The Martian

SPOILER ALERT-entertaining but to me the film never created any feeling of dread. As a viewer I never believed that he may in fact die or be in any threat at all.

I felt the same. I prefer my Sci-Fi with more Fiction, and less Science, so some kind of creature would have been nice.

Zzzzzz

I would say out of all the films I have ever seen in 99% of cases the book(s) is / are better.

I wish I had more time to read. Mostly only ever have time on a plane or when I'm stuck in some boring industrial area overseas with nothing much else to do at night.

Have a pile of books waiting to get through.

I maybe do 2 or 3 a year...

Resident Evil

Resident Evil: Apocalypse

Resident Evil: Extinction

"Metal Obsession: Collecting Heavy Metal Records" (2016)

A cool indie documentary about heavy metal vinyl and the obsessed fans who still love it. When these metal lifers from all corners of the globe start telling stories about how they discovered metal during its formative years it'll bring back a lot of memories.

I think you will dig this indie documentary about cult/horror films( Subtitles in English availiable)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TpvgXhgwG0

That doc G put up was great. I watched the whole thing even though I didn't understand a lick. Where can one find the subtitled version?

"Ice" (1994)

Typically cheap looking early 90s direct-to-video action nonsense stars Traci Lords as a cat burglar who steals a stash of diamonds from some very bad people. Naturally, the bad guys want to get them back, by any means necessary. Zach "Gremlins" Galligan picks up a quick paycheck as Traci's ne'er-do-well brother who gets caught in the middle.

Traci looks great as usual and is actually the best actor in the film - which really isn't saying a lot, because she doesn't do much besides pout and shoot at people.
Forgettable (at best).

Resident Evil: Afterlife

Resident Evil: Retribution

"1990: The Bronx Warriors" (1982)

In the "near future" of 1990 (ha!), New York City's most notorious borough has become a lawless no-man's land, ruled by gangs who regularly battle it out with corporate goons and each other.

This cult classic slab of Italian post-apocalypse schlock steals liberally from "The Warriors" and "Escape From New York," but naturally isn't nearly as good as them. It's a much better looking film than the average Italian B-Movie (mainly due to being shot on location in the actual Bronx) but it's still silly, under-written, poorly acted/dubbed junk.

The Martian

Zzzzzz

Solomon Kane - decent sword and sorcery flick

Is it better than the books?

Haven't read the books but I doubt it....

The Revenant - Not quite the epic I was hoping for, but worth a watch.

The Martian - like someone else said - not once did I develop a sense of fear for him, but aside from that a good movie.

The Hateful Eight - Expected more. Again, enjoyable enough, but was hoping for an epic.

The Intern - I enjoyed this one a lot. DeNiro is really good, and I actually like most Anne Hathaway movies.

2 pretty good WWII flicks...

Battle of the Bulge

The Great Escape

Also The Abominable Bride....it was crap, the writers have really lost the plot in this series....

I LOVE 'The Great Escape' ... of course, it plays fast and loose with the facts, but it's still a superb film :)

Over the past two days I've watched a couple of cheesy-but-fun 1960's Italian "Euro-Spy" movies (aka: low budget secret agent flicks made to cash in on the James Bond craze) on YouTube.

"008: Operation Exterminate" (1965)
3XI5kuC.jpg

A female American agent (the lovely Ingrid Schoeller) and her British counterpart (Alberto Lupo, trying hard to be as cool as Sean Connery but failing miserably) team up to track down a kidnapped scientist who has invented "anti-radar technology." Like most Italian B-Movies, the dialogue is awkward, the plot was needlessly complicated and the whole movie didn't really make much sense (it didn't help that the English language track on the YouTube copy of this film dropped out several times, leaving only the Italian language track for a minute or so each time!) but there were plenty of pretty girls, fist fights, exotic foreign locations and groovy '60s fashions and decor, so I was entertained.

"Superseven: Calling Cairo" (1965)
Superseven+Chiama+Cairo+Poster.jpg

"008" may have been a knockoff, but it looks totally original next to this flick, which shamelessly copied the 007 formula (just look at the poster!), right down to the square-jawed Connery lookalike (American actor Roger Browne) in the lead role. "Agent Stevens" travels (with a series of female companions) from Cairo to Switzerland to Rome to retrieve a stolen radioactive element that's been hidden in a camera. Once again, lots of pretty girls, chase scenes, and fist fights move the action along.

Neither flick was particularly good but as a Bond fan they were interesting to watch in a weird, alternate-universe sort of way. Both films were directed by spaghetti-cinema legend Umberto Lenzi, who's best known for his late-career horror/splatter flicks like "Make Them Die Slowly" and "Nightmare City" (a personal Z-movie fave).