Last movie you watched?

66 mustang

Schlock-Tober continues with...

"Damnation Alley" (1977)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVe7p5N62ug

Post-apocalyptic nonsense with a pre-"Airwolf" Jan-Michael Vincent and a pre-"A-Team" George Peppard as two military survivors of the nuclear holocaust, traveling across the bombed out U.S. of A. in their bad-ass futuristic Land Rover from Hell. Along the way they pick up a teenaged orphan (Jackie Earle Haley, later to become the replacement Freddy Krueger) and a Vegas lounge singer, and battle giant mutant cockroaches and scorpions before they reach the promised land of... Albany, New York??

This is one of those movies that I saw on HBO a bunch of times as a kid, I LOVED it then of course, but it's been 25+ years since I've last seen it and as I expected, it has aged terribly. Haha.

watched this one about 6 months back. this along with THE LAST CHASE.

Hahahaha, I remember "The Last Chase" too. I'm sure that one has aged horribly as well. :lol:

Several this week...

BRIDESMAIDS, enjoyed it a lot. Because of the all female cast, my buddy refused to watch it with me, he missed a solid comedy, it's not just a chic flick at all.

With the boy, Disneys SWORD AND THE STONE (animation still impressive even by todays standards) and ROBOCOP (classic!)

• My Little Pony

BRIDESMAIDS, enjoyed it a lot. Because of the all female cast, my buddy refused to watch it with me, he missed a solid comedy, it's not just a chic flick at all.

Yeah, my brother felt the same way, but I actually think the men would get more out of this than the women. It might be a little too crude for most women. Probably the best comedy of the year.

With the boy, Disneys SWORD AND THE STONE (animation still impressive even by todays standards) and ROBOCOP (classic!)

It's good to know you're educating your boy in the classics.

"District 9"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PDlMggROA

Strange faux-documentary style sci-fi about the South African government's controversial efforts to move a colony of resident space aliens from one city to another, and a beaurucrat who gets caught in the middle after being exposed to an alien fluid. An odd mix of political drama and science fiction/action. Unique and interesting.

"District 9"

Strange faux-documentary style sci-fi about the South African government's controversial efforts to move a colony of resident space aliens from one city to another, and a beaurucrat who gets caught in the middle after being exposed to an alien fluid. An odd mix of political drama and science fiction/action. Unique and interesting.

I thought this was clearly based on fact; i.e. about how humans treat other groups of humans and indeed other species. I'm sure the authorities wouold act in the same way if real aliens landed. Good film though.

"District 9"

I thought this was clearly based on fact; i.e. about how humans treat other groups of humans and indeed other species. I'm sure the authorities wouold act in the same way if real aliens landed. Good film though.

Oh yeah, especially with the fact that it was set in South Africa, I'm sure the way the Government treated the aliens in this movie was a very thinly veiled version of the country's old apartheid policies...

Captain America : The First Avenger (2011)

an average big screen comic rendition, simple fun just like the typical Marvel movies, but i ain't no fan of this Captain and nothing's really spectacular here, the animation seems to be dated judging by the current production, this is just something that i'm skipping if it comes to TV later

Watched The love guru last night, and it was pretty shitty to be honest.

I expected so much more from Myers.

Also spent the last few days watching the DVD box set of Bones season 6.

Now just starting on my blu ray quadrilogy of Pirates of the Caribbean.

"District 9"

Oh yeah, especially with the fact that it was set in South Africa, I'm sure the way the Government treated the aliens in this movie was a very thinly veiled version of the country's old apartheid policies...

I found this rather boring...generally I don't want political lessons with my SciFi...but it did get good reviews from the movie hacks...

Yeah, my brother felt the same way, but I actually think the men would get more out of this than the women. It might be a little too crude for most women. Probably the best comedy of the year.

It's good to know you're educating your boy in the classics.

I'm trying! It's like pulling teeth to get him to watch a B&W or silent movie though.

Last night I had me a Schlock-Tober Slasher Flick Double Feature!

"Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4jcoQ7G-Vg&feature=player_embedded

Silly but fun 80s style slasher nonsense. An annual local "holiday" in honor of a deceased (?) ax murderess is the backdrop for a whole lotta splat. Mostly terrible acting, loads of hot girls, a large body count and some neat old school (i.e. no CGI) gore effects. I've seen better but I've also seen loads worse.

Random note: Danielle Harris, who played little Jamie Lloyd in "Halloween 4 and 5" is in this movie, and daaaaaaamn, she grew up kinda hot. :blink:

And speaking of Halloween...

"Halloween: Resurrection"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwt_Qx4OQE4&feature=player_embedded

Totally, completely, utterly unnecessary sequel that kills off Laurie Strode in the first ten minutes (!!) and then sics Michael Myers on a new group of generic slasher movie victim types a year later, while they're broadcasting an Internet reality show from the Myers house. Awful, awful crap. Worth a look only if you're a Halloween completist or you just want to hear Busta Rhymes say "Trick or treat, motherf***er" while he kung-fu fights Michael Myers. (?)

This series should've ENDED with the preceding, far superior "H20."

Got a couple of movies in the post this morning, so after I have finished the Pirates movies, I've got The Terminator on blu ray, and on DVD Witchmaster general.

Witchmaster general looks pretty cheap and nasty, but I only picked it up as a novelty because Phil Lewis is the main star.

"Red State"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ1v6oFHefc

Kevin ("Clerks") Smith's new film about a midwestern town's battle with the members of a religious cult, run by a preacher who's kinda like a combo of Fred Phelps and David Koresh.

For months & months this was being hyped as Smith's first "horror" movie, but it's more of a thriller/drama. If you're looking for a horror flick you won't find it here. Not bad, but not quite what I was expecting.

Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Man`s Chest

Really enjoyed this, looking forward to the 3rd one now

Just watched BLOODWORTH with Kris Kristofferson and Dwight Yokum, recommend. I had never heard of it, from the case it looked like a CRAZY HEART knock off, but it's not at all, even the better film perhaps. Great acting and music too (T Bone Burnett). Apparently, it's an adaption of the book PROVINCES OF NIGHT, which I plan to seek out. If enjoy a bittersweet drama, check this movie out.

Recently rewatched the Coen's TRUE GRUT, still enjoyable. Gotta love the Dude!

THIN RED LINE (1998)

such a great war movie, looks like a bit underrated, especially compared to 'Saving Private Ryan' which was released in the same year. A fictional tale of a regiment in Pacific war where the focus is probably not on the war but the condition and morale of each soldier's in the battle.

In Pacific, the war is brutal, you're fighting cruel Japanese soldiers as well as cruel jungle. A good companion to 'The Pacific' series, but beware that this is a long 3-hours kind of movie, and not very action-patriotic flick like 'Ryan', this is more emotional and poetic kind of thing. Worth the watch!