Rio - Borderland (remaster + bonus)

Stefan

From MelodicRock Classics:

MelodicRock Classics is thrilled to announce a new partnership with acclaimed British melodic rock band RIO for the first ever official release on CD of their classic catalogue, which will also feature a third unreleased album! 

Starting with the band’s debut album ‘Borderland’, the freshly remastered release (thanks to JK Northrup) features an additional 4 bonus tracks. 

The band’s Steve Rodford had this to say about the long-awaited release: “We recorded this album in 1984 as part of our first major record deal, self-produced and recorded at home, then finished off and mixed in London. We’ve been amazed at how it has become a bit of a cult classic over the years and are delighted to be able to present Borderland, in partnership with MelodicRock Classics, featuring exclusive bonus material. It’s so good to be able to present original ‘band’ mixes of “I Don’t Wanna Be The Fool” and “State Of Emergency” as they are closer to the original sound and vision we had for the record. It was a real labour of love recording this album, and it’s so great there’s still interest in it all these years later and would be wonderful to think some new people might discover it. 

A very big thank you to Marcus Mason, Jamie and Matt at Sunfish and Andrew McNeice at MelodicRock Classics.”

Track Listing: 
01. I Don't Wanna Be The Fool 
02. Straight To The Heart 
03. Tommy Can't Help It 
04. Better This Time 
05. State Of Emergency 
06. Shy Girl 
07.She's A Virgin 
08.Close To You 
09. Borderland 
Bonus Tracks: 
10. I Don't Wanna Be The Fool (Stephan Galphas Single Mix, Pitch Down) 
11. Casualty (Unreleased Track) 
12. State Of Emergency (Original Band Production Mix) 
13. I Don't Wanna Be The Fool (Original Band Production Mix)

Full album:

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1

Yeah, I initially dismissed this when I saw the thread, but this is pretty epic news, realistically. The debut is a certifiable classic in my mind. But the sound quality does leave a lot to be desire (even more so on the second one, which is also a great disc), and hearing them polished could be a thrill. I agree the remaster above does sound much improved. So colour me interested indeed!

As for the third one, just trying to rack my brain if I've heard any of that before and I don't think I have. Will be super keen for that one particularly. 

The audio previewed is being replaced with a slightly better version again. It all sounds a million bucks better and are all taken from master tapes. JK does his magic on them.

The third album was 7 tracks traded as demos for a while under the moniker Big Talk. We're adding a few extra songs to that original set of tunes. Couple of bonuses planned for the second album too.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, melodicrock said:

The audio previewed is being replaced with a slightly better version again. It all sounds a million bucks better and are all taken from master tapes. JK does his magic on them.

The third album was 7 tracks traded as demos for a while under the moniker Big Talk. We're adding a few extra songs to that original set of tunes. Couple of bonuses planned for the second album too.

Very good. Ah yes, Big Talk... I remember that now. I have heard those tunes and I think the songs were very good, but those demos floating around were super poor quality, weren't they? Hope they can still be polished too! 

When do we get to finally hear the Sex Crimes remastered, Atlantic Radio will finally sound good, I'm pretty stoked and I hope they get it out fast, this is great news.

On 9/15/2023 at 3:40 AM, Geoff said:

Very good. Ah yes, Big Talk... I remember that now. I have heard those tunes and I think the songs were very good, but those demos floating around were super poor quality, weren't they? Hope they can still be polished too! 

Horrible quality, unlistenable, anxious to hear this one as well

On 9/18/2023 at 1:05 AM, melodicrock said:

Probably early next year now. And the album will be titled Atlantic Radio :)

Seriously??? which means your gonna change the cover? why? it's the first time on CD, you really cant do  a proper release? everyone who's going to get it already knows what it is, that poor model deserves to have her breasts seen, this is misogynistic, lol

4 hours ago, Leykis101 said:

Seriously??? which means your gonna change the cover? why? it's the first time on CD, you really cant do  a proper release? everyone who's going to get it already knows what it is, that poor model deserves to have her breasts seen, this is misogynistic, lol

lol. Does seem ludicrous to not release a CD called 'Sex Crimes' in 2023. I couldn't see it being accepted with anything but welcoming arms. <_<

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2023 at 3:34 PM, Leykis101 said:

That cover and title ain't gonna fly in 2023 sorry. Just a fact.

• Haha 1

Arent you worried about being "breastphobic" I think you should make it self titled, or Rio II,

On 9/22/2023 at 3:55 AM, Geoff said:

lol. Does seem ludicrous to not release a CD called 'Sex Crimes' in 2023. I couldn't see it being accepted with anything but welcoming arms. <_<

kiss ass, your supposed to be helping me, "PARTNER",  ugh!

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 9/22/2023 at 7:55 PM, Geoff said:

The "Eurythmics" got away with it in '84.

Had a look on the HH database and have seen far more offensive titles and cover art than this. Not sure I understand why we are self-censoring our history. I guess the woke, perpetually offended tribe have already won when they don't have to do anything and we all cower in fear of an imagined backlash.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, auslander said:

Had a look on the HH database and have seen far more offensive titles and cover art than this. Not sure I understand why we are self-censoring our history. I guess the woke, perpetually offended tribe have already won when they don't have to do anything and we all cower in fear of an imagined backlash.

I won't even justify this crud with a proper response.

21 hours ago, auslander said:

Not sure I understand this reaction either.

You're offended that I'm not prepared to risk offending others. You find it offensive that I don't want to be offensive. As long as you're not upset, screw anyone else. Typical right-wing ideology. Oh, and it was the band that decided to do this, but if they hadn't of, I would have.

1 hour ago, melodicrock said:

You're offended that I'm not prepared to risk offending others. You find it offensive that I don't want to be offensive. As long as you're not upset, screw anyone else. Typical right-wing ideology. Oh, and it was the band that decided to do this, but if they hadn't of, I would have.

You are an angry man and I am not the cause of whatever issues you have. I actually hope you do well in your business venture despite your hostility.