Degreed - Public Address

Stefan

• 2 weeks later...

New video for 'Big Plans'.

From Frontiers:

Swedish rockers degreed have announced the upcoming release of their seventh studio album, “Public Address” on July 7, 2023. Serving as the follow-up to 2022's stunning "Are You Ready" album, this new opus sees the band delivering on all of the promise of earlier efforts and reaching an absolute premiere moment in their musical creativity. "Public Address" is without a doubt their finest hour and will leave melodic rock loving jaws around the world on the floor. 

“We’re stoked to get these songs out for you to hear. I think we’ve made a massive album in terms of the songs, but also in terms of sound. It’s been a few months of hard work, but looking back at it now, while listening to the result, it’s been well worth it. I can’t wait to hear what you guys think of this one!” says drummer Mats Eriksson.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the band wasn’t able to tour on the heels of the release of their 2019 album "Lost Generation", so they set out to begin work on their sixth studio album, "Are You Ready"during the forced downtime. The record showcased a more straightforward and focused direction for the band’s sound, while still being extremely melodic and catchy. Indeed, the 2022 album showed that degreed was back stronger than ever. Taking the inspiration from the process of creating their last studio album, the new album, "Public Address" sees degreed delivering hands-down the strongest album of their already impressive recorded output. 

degreed have been releasing critically acclaimed music since the start of their career with their first album “Life, Love, Loss” in 2010. Over the course of their next five studio albums, the band has gone from strength to strength with every release, touring and gaining fans all over the world and they have no plans on stopping now. degreed's sound mixes the classic melodic and hard rock sounds with more contemporary influences offering the fans a very personal, fresh and exciting mix of great rock music.

Tracklisting:
1.    Big Plans
2.    Who Are You (To Say)
3.    The Way Of The World
4.    This Is Love
5.    Ride Along
6.    Free Again
7.    Resist The Urge
8.    Don't Be A Stranger
9.    A Safe Place
10.    No One
11.    For You
12.    Pressure

Line-up:
Robin Eriksson - Bass/Vocals
Mats Eriksson - Drums
Mikael Blanc - Keyboards
Daniel Johansson - Guitars 

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 2

Nice surprise!  Wasn't really expecting a new album so soon from these guys.

Cool tune.  It's heavier than probably anything on the last album but still hooks me in the way it kind of lightens up a bit for the chorus.

2023 is finally starting to pick up some steam with some good releases coming in the next couple months.

• My Little Pony

Not bad. 

That dude is playing the shit outta those keys, but can anyone hear them? Maybe it's just my phone speakers. 

17 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Not bad. 

That dude is playing the shit outta those keys, but can anyone hear them? Maybe it's just my phone speakers. 

Not during the verse. It's either a "dirty" tone that's extremely low in the mix orrrrrrr just a show for the video lol

Regardless, good song :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, I was not expecting that. The atmosphere is a lot more subdued than what I'm used to from them, it almost sounds like a modernized Strangeways before it bursts into the typical big Degreed chorus. I like it!

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, lettard said:

Arrived today...excellent disc at first run through...will get more spins as I'm off work for a few days :) 

Interested to check out the album.

I've liked plenty of these guys output but the singles so far haven't resonated much with me for some reason.

Probably will be in the minority here but feeling about the same way after listening to the album as I did after hearing the singles.  Just not grabbing me very much.  

I thought their last album was fantastic and is probably my second favorite album of theirs behind Dead But Not Forgotten.  Lot's of catchy, melodic, commercial type stuff that I could envision hearing on radio if radio didn't suck.  Into The Fire, Higher, Falling Down, Lost in Paradise, Turn Back were my highlights but the whole album (outside maybe Radio) was very good.

This album though, I'm just not feeling it.  Have only had one listen but initially feeling like this might be my least favorite album of theirs.  Just not finding much to be all that memorable or catchy. 

Maybe I'm just not in the right mood or something lol.  I'll give it a couple more listens though and maybe some songs will click.

Very strong album.

need to listen more.

Songs sounded good but my major complaint was the vocals - they are so buried in the mix that it is v annoying. Straining to hear the main vocals and backing vocals are inaudible.

Compare this to say We Don't Belong album which sounds amazing with up front and clear vocal mix 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Glen said:

need to listen more.

Songs sounded good but my major complaint was the vocals - they are so buried in the mix that it is v annoying. Straining to hear the main vocals and backing vocals are inaudible.

Compare this to say We Don't Belong album which sounds amazing with up front and clear vocal mix 

Agree.

To me, this album kind of has a rushed feel to it or something and mostly sort of just feels like lesser versions of stuff they've done before.

They're still a fantastic band.  I just feel like this band should be capable of better.  They have a phenomenal vocalist and we know they can kill it musically.  It really just comes down to the songs.  And the songs here aren't grabbing me very much.  

I think Ride Along is probably my favorite song here if I had to pick one.  This Is Love is okay, Don't Be A Stanger is an alright ballad.  I don't mind Resist The Urge and For You....but that's about it for me.  And honestly, I'm not sure any of these songs will make it to my main favorites playlist.  There's 5 or 6 songs from the last album in that playlist.

I feel like maybe these guys should try working with a producer to bring some fresh ideas....maybe somebody like Jona Tee for example.