Issa - Lights Of Japan

Stefan

I sometimes wonder if the way I hold Heart, Fiona, Lee Aaron, the great Pat Benatar and the like in such high regard causes me to look at other female singers with an unrealistic standard.

Because it seems like a lot of these female fronted acts (The Big Deal, Nevena, Venus 5, etc.) don't strike me as anything more than okay and Issa seems to fall into the same category.

She's got a decent voice, but to me, her tunes don't feel like they have any soul to them? 

• Like 2

On 1/22/2023 at 2:48 PM, CMGiordano said:

I sometimes wonder if the way I hold Heart, Fiona, Lee Aaron, the great Pat Benatar and the like in such high regard causes me to look at other female singers with an unrealistic standard.

Because it seems like a lot of these female fronted acts (The Big Deal, Nevena, Venus 5, etc.) don't strike me as anything more than okay and Issa seems to fall into the same category.

She's got a decent voice, but to me, her tunes don't feel like they have any soul to them? 

No, the Wilson sisters are tremendously talented. Issa is essentially a studio project. 

• Like 1

Yeah, gotta say I was a little disappointed too. One of, if not her weakest overall album yet. I do love 'It's over,' which cushions the blow, and there's a good handful of keepers... just I was expecting better, to be honest. 

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, gotta say I was a little disappointed too. One of, if not her weakest overall album yet. I do love 'It's over,' which cushions the blow, and there's a good handful of keepers... just I was expecting better, to be honest. 

I think it's better than her last two, maybe better than The Storm, but probably worse than Sign of Angels. Not even in the same zip code as Crossfire. Not counting Can't Stop.

So if this is, at best, her second- or third-best album...what does that say about the rest of her discography? Oooof. Might be time to call it a day for this project, Serafino.

Edited by Eric3

On 11/3/2022 at 4:54 AM, Stefan said:

New song 'Chains'.

OK, I can't un-hear this. The high notes in the chorus stick out like a sore thumb. They're soooo...yelp-y.

The song is otherwise one of the best in her catalog, but man, some of those notes are just out of range...