Ratings on the main site you disagree with

Eric3

Treat - Coup De Grace (83) (too low; don't understand this one at all)

Fortune - II (90) (wayyyyy too high, come on now)

Journey - Arrival (85) (a tad low, I get it but it's too low)

Vega - What the Hell (84) (also a tad low, still a top 3 Vega album IMO)

Yours?

Edited by Eric3

3 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

Part of the problem is that the sample sizes are tiny, so it doesn't take much to skew the averages... not many people participate in the ratings.

Oh, of course. I guess 16 is not that many for Fortune II. Coup de Grace has 50 though which I feel like is a good amount.

btw, what's the minimum number of votes required for the Top 100 page? 12?

• My Little Pony
3 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

Part of the problem is that the sample sizes are tiny, so it doesn't take much to skew the averages... not many people participate in the ratings.

Yeah, and it really hurts when some randu throws a '30,' '13,' or a '1' at an album. At least write up a review to explain your rating. 

• Like 2

The biggest problem with the ratings is people thinking their opinion is the "right" one, and when they see a disc that they don't care for highly rated, they'll decide that giving it a "1" is fair, because it's too highly rated, and it's average needs to be brought down. Same can be said in reverse as well, of course, that if they see something they feel is low, they'll give it an undeserved 100 trying to raise it's average to where they think it should be. Honestly, a thumbs up or thumbs down system might be more accurate in the end. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, whiplash1972 said:

The biggest problem with the ratings is people thinking their opinion is the "right" one, and when they see a disc that they don't care for highly rated, they'll decide that giving it a "1" is fair, because it's too highly rated, and it's average needs to be brought down. Same can be said in reverse as well, of course, that if they see something they feel is low, they'll give it an undeserved 100 trying to raise it's average to where they think it should be. Honestly, a thumbs up or thumbs down system might be more accurate in the end. 

Without sounding like I am taking a dig at the guy who started this topic, but I think his take on these entries kinda encapsulates what you are saying without the crappy low/high votes.

We could all go through the site and pull up lists like these over underrated or overrated albums, but it is all personal choice.

Just to take one example from that list, Treat - Coup De Grace. I like Treat and have most of their albums apart from a few recent ones and CDG just never did it for me. It's all very well played and all that, but it just did not hook me like Organized crime, for instance. Whatever I rate it at, is just my personal choice just as it is his choice to rate it higher than I would.

There are also albums I would rank incredibly high and other people would probably say 50% or lower. Not my place to question them as we obviously have differing tastes.

As Dan said though, I think the rating system these days is pretty much redundant as it always seems to be the same handful of people scoring them. And when you only have maybe 5 or 6 people doing the ratings, it only takes one person with a different opinion to make an album drop down the ratings heavily.

There are a few frequent perpetrators on the main site who have their own idiosyncrasies/idiocies with rating style. One decides to put a 0 in front of his rating so if he gives a 90 it looks like 090. Another, whom really bugs me, gives a rating of 99 to albums he likes and a 1 to those he doesn't. A very lazy system that skews real ratings. 

I like how diving judges do it. They take out the highest and lowest ratings to give the real average. Or, instead of an average, the median score is often a better indication of a real rating.

• 2023 Gold Donors

No one (very few) seeks an album out based on the ratings over there...the 'comments' are the primary driver.I've given poor ratings to things i don't like and have probably overrated things i do.I find it more annoying when commenters will give false descriptors and lead you down the wrong path....'sounds like Dokken' dude !"....when actually what they meant to say is the guitarist sounds like Lynch....and so on and so forth.....i find THAT maddening.

6 hours ago, whiplash1972 said:

This was my take on what happened too. I've commented on hundreds of albums on the main site but don't ever recall dropping a rating.