Let the misery commence! Guess Dan's Top 5 of 2021.

On 1/26/2022 at 8:15 AM, heavyharmonies said:

Think about the genres at the very core of what this site is about. We're not talking fringe styles here.

Time for another hint I guess. Think about the bands that were in the mainstream when I was growing up.. the hard rock bands on the U.S. airwaves of the 1980s and early 1990s.

AC/DC

Dokken

Warrant

Winger

Motley Crue

Poison

Cinderella

Bon Jovi

Scorpions

KISS

Styx

Foreigner

Journey

Great White

Foreigner

Different styles, to be sure, but sounds that we now identify as "classic". There was no power metal or synthwave or what we now call "modern hard rock". Straight ahead melodic/hard rock, hair bands, arena rock (use whatever term you like). I'm not saying that it is a well known band or band that released material back then, but the sound we're looking for is at the core of this site, not some off-the-wall or fringe sound.

It's apparently an album that no one else listened to last year, and it boggles the mind...

Hmmm...the emphasis placed on the Straight ahead melodic/hard rock had me considering a few bands, like Bad Habit, but then I thought back to the earlier clue that there was no thread dedicated to the album on the forum.  So I'll try one more guess and say...Sergeant Steel

Are you sure you don't want to consider changing that choice to something like Heartland or Seven Ravens before anyone else sees it?  Just kidding, "Lonesome Road" and "Forever Wild" sound pretty cool.  I've not listened to the album yet, but I did enjoy some tracks off "Perfect Sin".  So I'll plan on checking this one out.

Crowne and Black Diamonds were consistently at the top of my rotation since they came out, as was Nestor. Levara and Powerwolf were in my top 5 earlier in the year, but faded. Beast in Black was a latecomer and The Pretty Reckless took time to grow on me; she's gotten progressively better as a vocalist over time.

Albums that came very close but were edged out:

Houston

Lord of the Lost

Nitrate

Seventh Crystal

Zelbo

4 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

Crowne and Black Diamonds were consistently at the top of my rotation since they came out, as was Nestor. Levara and Powerwolf were in my top 5 earlier in the year, but faded. Beast in Black was a latecomer and The Pretty Reckless took time to grow on me; she's gotten progressively better as a vocalist over time.

Albums that came very close but were edged out:

Houston

Lord of the Lost

Nitrate

Seventh Crystal

Zelbo

that Zelbo album annoys me. I really like the style and songs but the singer just doesn't do it for me. Made me realise how awesome Lars is and why he makes Work of Art and Lionville so great