The Tokyo Games

auslander

lol, has it really? With the state of the place as it is now it'd be nice to have a choice distraction, but I don't think this is it. Can't even pretend to be interested, and the whole vibe around the event is just so off and unappealing. Will they even make it through the fortnight? 

4 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

Big pile of MEH. With Japan forbidding spectators in in the stands at any events and 1/3 of the world not attending, who cares.

1/3 of countries have no representation? Wow, definitely didn't know that. What a joke. Why did they persist, or have they just acknowledged how bleak the future looks and accepted this might be as good as it gets from now on? I can't even begin to comprehend the amount of money Japan will have lost out on this thing by the time it's all said and done. What a horrendous experience for them. 

no sympathy for Japan. Their vaccine rollout has been appalling. 22% vaccinated is unacceptable for a country hosting probably the biggest and most complex sporting event on the planet.

This is their own doing as well as they insisted on running their own trials and not trusting the international community. 

As for the Olympics, I love it . its by the far the most diverse and interesting sporting event held.

But I agree the lack of crowds will make it a muted affair 😔😢

The atmosphere is pretty dead tbh. Have watched bits here and there but it just doesn't seem very exciting. Though the swimming finals are soon and that is always fun to watch.

2 hours ago, auslander said:

The atmosphere is pretty dead tbh. Have watched bits here and there but it just doesn't seem very exciting. Though the swimming finals are soon and that is always fun to watch.

no crowds is a bummer, but the quality of competition is still great as always. 

just watched our girl win a bronze in the judo. That's what I love about the Olympics watching something completely new and getting so much out of it. 

Excellent to watch. really exciting, learning stuff about a new sport and a great result 👍 👏 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, auslander said:

She just won the gold medal and was being interviewed on live TV 😂 

ha ha,Adam Peaty did that twice too! 🤣

2 hours ago, nyoilers said:

I used to like the basketball,soccer,etc.... but when they started allowing professionals to play (dream team) I kinda lost interest.

they are all "professionals" 

especially the athletes (track & field) who generally rake it in from the diamond league & European circuit and sponsorship. 

It's certainly been an interesting first week that's for sure. Simone Biles stuff, so awesome to see Suni Lee shine, seeing Carissa Moore from Hawaii get the gold in surfing, the swim teams doing great, watched 3 on 3 women's basketball gold medal game, that was kinda cool. I admire the unbelievable athleticism of the competitors, some of what they do is remarkable.  Go USA. 

I loved watching Fiji win the rugby sevens. Personally I find the gymnastics really boring, especially the men's version with those weird little guys who look like jockeys on roids.

Watched the women's 200m final and was appalled that a man was allowed to run and get a silver medal. Bullshit that Mboma is a woman. Someone should test for testosterone because this reminds me of East German "women" at the games.

tokyo_olympics_athletics_34351_c0-271-6478-4048_s885x516.jpg.c2de807987af11f2693f6f733579dc93.jpg

2 hours ago, auslander said:

Watched the women's 200m final and was appalled that a man was allowed to run and get a silver medal. Bullshit that Mboma is a woman. Someone should test for testosterone because this reminds me of East German "women" at the games.

tokyo_olympics_athletics_34351_c0-271-6478-4048_s885x516.jpg.c2de807987af11f2693f6f733579dc93.jpg

still legal until its deemed illegal which won't be long. Matter of time until they are banned from 200 & 100 as well

Feel sorry for those affected but it has to be a level playing field