Witness - S/T

heavyharmonies

When I sold off my CD collection earlier this year, I first saved off the 300 or so rarest discs as 320kbps MP3s, so at the very least I'd have the music. I've got a 40GB iRiver that I have them all on, and since I'm sick to death of the radio (even XM is boring me at the moment), I've started listening through a lot of these discs at my day job.

Today's gem that I completely forgot about: Witness - S/T (1988). Very polished female-fronted AOR. Good gang choruses with plenty of hooks. I'm not normally a huge fan of female-fronted acts (Within Temptation and Heart notwithstanding), but this is good stuff...

-Dan

I think some bored person must really hate this CD because there are over 200 ratings on the HH board for this album and the rating is only 3.33...

That's irritating.

• 2 years later...

hello everyone I'm looking for Witness's lyrics but they didn't have the lyrics both in LP and CD, I have seen their video "Do It Till We Drop" on YouTube last year maybe (the video has been removed by YouTube already). I really enjoy the band but too bad there isn't any news about re-issue this rare gem so far, if someone have the lyrics please contact me or just post them here, would be appreciated thanks!

If you look over in the polls, the one that is Best Female Band Ever! after Saraya, I plugged Witness as one of the top 5, and Harlow, but that Witness album is killer, I think that chick doesnt get on my nerves because she has a deeper voice, I remember they did a video for the song, Let Me Be The One, she isnt all that great looking, but that is expected of a female singer that actually sounds good,

I really enjoy this CD. Great band, great music, awesome singer : Debbie Davis.

Debbie Davis, after Witness, became a blues chorus singer for many bands/artists (some of them are french) :

- VINCENT BAGUIAN 1999

- BAGWELL i don' t want to let that girl go 1991

- FRANCIS CABREL :samedi soir sur la terre 1995

- " " :hors saison 1999

- NATHALIE CARBONNE 1999

- MYLENE FARMER 1991

- FRANCOIS FELMAN :bercy 1998 (this is HUUUUGE shit !)

- " " :presence 1998

- BILLY AND SAARAH GAINES come on back 1996

- ANGELIQUE KIDJO fifa 1996

- LYNYRD SKYNYRD endagered species 1994

- " " :turn it up! 2002

- " " :thyrty :the 30th anniversary 2003

- MAURANE olympia 1999

- NANA MOUSKOURI return to love 1997 (another interstellar shit !!!!)

- MICHEL TORR ma vie 96 (OMG what a crap !)

- SYLVIE VARTAN :95 (same crap, but funny stuff : Sylvie Vartan was the wif of the legendary Scotti Bros label's boss).

I really enjoy this CD. Great band, great music, awesome singer : Debbie Davis.

Debbie Davis, after Witness, became a blues chorus singer for many bands/artists (some of them are french) :

- VINCENT BAGUIAN 1999

- BAGWELL i don' t want to let that girl go 1991

- FRANCIS CABREL :samedi soir sur la terre 1995

- " " :hors saison 1999

- NATHALIE CARBONNE 1999

- MYLENE FARMER 1991

- FRANCOIS FELMAN :bercy 1998 (this is HUUUUGE shit !)

- " " :presence 1998

- BILLY AND SAARAH GAINES come on back 1996

- ANGELIQUE KIDJO fifa 1996

- LYNYRD SKYNYRD endagered species 1994

- " " :turn it up! 2002

- " " :thyrty :the 30th anniversary 2003

- MAURANE olympia 1999

- NANA MOUSKOURI return to love 1997 (another interstellar shit !!!!)

- MICHEL TORR ma vie 96 (OMG what a crap !)

- SYLVIE VARTAN :95 (same crap, but funny stuff : Sylvie Vartan was the wif of the legendary Scotti Bros label's boss).

Chris - Didn't realise she was on the Cabrel and Mylene albums. Will have to re-read the sleeve notes!!

Chris - Didn't realise she was on the Cabrel and Mylene albums. Will have to re-read the sleeve notes!!

:) Surprising, isn't it ?

Man, everytime I hear this band mentioned I start slamming my head against the wall. Before I knew any better, I found the Witness CD TWICE on seperate occassions for around $7 each time...and passed on it. I have never been able to find one since.

Similiar story with an original copy of Signal - Loud & Clear...but the Witness one always drives me crazy.

TYTAN

• 1 year later...

Brad Gillis's solo on 'Show Me What Ya Got' is one of my fave guitar solos of all time and Neal Schon's stuff on 'Borrowed Time' is bloody awesome aswell. Brilliant disc this one.

Brad Gillis's solo on 'Show Me What Ya Got' is one of my fave guitar solos of all time and Neal Schon's stuff on 'Borrowed Time' is bloody awesome aswell. Brilliant disc this one.

Backed those are the 2 best tracks IMO. Excellent stuff.

The whole album is very good tho, and this along with the gorgeous Sandi Saraya would be my fav female fronted releases.

I just recently found it on c.d. I also heard that ROCK CANDY is supposed to reissue it as well.

Very underrated band!!!

Looking forward to the Rock Candy release :tumbsup:

I just recently found it on c.d. I also heard that ROCK CANDY is supposed to reissue it as well.

Very underrated band!!!

Me too!

They took it off the soon to be released list, but I think they're having trouble with the licences from the record company.

KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Very underrated band!!!

Me too!

They took it off the soon to be released list, but I think they're having trouble with the licences from the record company.

Wondered why I couldn`t find any update on this, cheers :tumbsup:

Very underrated band!!!

Me too!

I think they are having a few problems getting the rights to certain other albums aswell i.e The Roadmaster stuff and the first 2 Axe albums.

WTF is wrong with some record companies. The masters are lying around in some murky basement, gathering dust and will probably never see the light of day, just because some fucker is being awkward, when they could (and should) be being re-issued by a quality label, like for example, Rock Candy. Presumably the reason why bands release albums is so that everyone that wants to, can listen to them, so for fucks sake let people do so.

Very underrated band!!!

Me too!

AMEN!

:bowdown:

I think they are having a few problems getting the rights to certain other albums aswell i.e The Roadmaster stuff and the first 2 Axe albums.

WTF is wrong with some record companies. The masters are lying around in some murky basement, gathering dust and will probably never see the light of day, just because some fucker is being awkward, when they could (and should) be being re-issued by a quality label, like for example, Rock Candy. Presumably the reason why bands release albums is so that everyone that wants to, can listen to them, so for fucks sake let people do so.

• 8 months later...

JUst a quick note on the Witness re-issue through Rock Candy.

It's somewhat intriguing that a reissue of this album has just been announced through another label. It further proves that dealing with major record labels on licensing can be an interesting experience.

I can reveal that, earlier this year, Derek Oliver invited me to work on the preparation of a long awaited - officially licensed from Sony BMG - re-issue of the Witness album for release through Rock Candy later this year.

The CD will, of course, be to the same excellent standard as music fans have come to expect from the label. This includes remastering, 4000 word essay and archive material supplied by band members (with the distinct possibility of bonus material).

Yup, the RC release has full involvement from keyboard player Joey Huffman and vocalist Debbie Davis, both co-founders of the band, and both have been extremely helpful in putting this project together.

It has been especially cool to get back in touch with Debbie for a highly informative catch up chat to the original interview I conducted with her for 'Kerrang!' when the album was first released in 1988. What's more, talking to them both about the album has encouraged them to think very seriously about a possible reunion for a gigs!

Stay tuned for further details on the Rock Candy website and through all AOR friendly websites on the release date for this Remastered And Reloaded Rock Candy edition!!!

It's somewhat intriguing that a reissue of this album has just been announced through another label. It further proves that dealing with major record labels on licensing can be an interesting experience.

I can reveal that, earlier this year, Derek Oliver invited me to work on the preparation of a long awaited - officially licensed from Sony BMG - re-issue of the Witness album for release through Rock Candy later this year.

The CD will, of course, be to the same excellent standard as music fans have come to expect from the label. This includes remastering, 4000 word essay and archive material supplied by band members (with the distinct possibility of bonus material).

Yup, the RC release has full involvement from keyboard player Joey Huffman and vocalist Debbie Davis, both co-founders of the band, and both have been extremely helpful in putting this project together.

It has been especially cool to get back in touch with Debbie for a highly informative catch up chat to the original interview I conducted with her for 'Kerrang!' when the album was first released in 1988. What's more, talking to them both about the album has encouraged them to think very seriously about a possible reunion for a gigs!

Stay tuned for further details on the Rock Candy website and through all AOR friendly websites on the release date for this Remastered And Reloaded Rock Candy edition!!!

This one will be reissued by Yesterrock AND Rock Candy ?? What sense does that make ? Very confusing ........ !

This one will be reissued by Yesterrock AND Rock Candy ?? What sense does that make ? Very confusing ........ !

Hmm yeah I'm confused, this makes no sense. I can't imagine there will be two separate re-issues of Witness - S/T in the same year. If it comes down to it, I'd probably lean toward the Rock Candy version for the sake of bonus tracks but having said that I was very impressed with my last Yesterrock CD which was Clif Magness - Solo.

When I sold off my CD collection earlier this year, I first saved off the 300 or so rarest discs as 320kbps MP3s, so at the very least I'd have the music. I've got a 40GB iRiver that I have them all on, and since I'm sick to death of the radio (even XM is boring me at the moment), I've started listening through a lot of these discs at my day job.

Today's gem that I completely forgot about: Witness - S/T (1988). Very polished female-fronted AOR. Good gang choruses with plenty of hooks. I'm not normally a huge fan of female-fronted acts (Within Temptation and Heart notwithstanding), but this is good stuff...

-Dan

Dan I'm really looking forward to Rock Candy's remastered reissue which will contain previously unavailable material & also got the founding members talking about a reunion :) :) :) hopefully include a show I can attend

can't wait to upgrade the old witness cd pressing :beerbang: