XYZ - Forbidden Demos 1985 / 1991

gener8tr

Perhaps I just don't know how to use the SEARCH function properly, so forgive me.

Was this release always a CD-R (albeit with nice packaging)?  I recently purchased this one, and that's exactly what it is.  Very well done, but a CD-R none-the-less.

As a collector (not just a listener), this bugs me a bit.  I wouldn't have paid $25.00 for a CD-R.  The songs are easily obtained elsewhere.  I hate that practice and never do it, but I don't make a habit of buying CD-R's, either.

Please let me know if anyone has any insight.

I Honestly don't think that mine is a CD-R, I could be wrong...I bought it at the time directly from Terry from XYZ and the FYCO records label,It has a barcode and suchlike as well copyright stuff if I remember rightly,I haven't looked at it in a while,maybe someone else has it closer to hand to check, that also got it back then?

Edited by lettard

Yeah it should have been mentioned by the seller, instead you end up paying for ultimately something you could've done yourself for nothing,i can definitely see why its irked you...i'd be the same...maybe send it back?

• Like 1

Yeah, the seller should have said that it was a cd-r .... could be the seller considered it an official release and it could be ... he may have thought the release was only put out on cd-r and therefore no need to mention that it was a cd-r....or he could be selling fakes...that is the problem with buying on eBay, you never know what you are going to get.....

4 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

Who was the seller? Was it Terry Ilous or a 3rd-party seller that could be selling bogus fakes?

Regardless, yes it should be disclosed prior to purchase.

It was from Terry.

I don't think he trying to be scrupulous at all... he probably doesn't realize that some of us are collectors, and not just listeners.  90% of the people in the world probably care less... I'm one of the 10%'ers. 

BTW... the package is all very well done and nice... but lipstick on a pig..............

Edited by gener8tr

This CD was released by Terry himself. At the time, his old guitarist had released a CD of XYZ Demos without Terry's permission so Terry decided to get in front of it and do it officially. Terry contacted me directly and was VERY nice explaining the situation of the old guitar player and offered to send me an official version with autograph in exchange for me sending him back the one the guitar player released, which I did.

35 minutes ago, T-BONE said:

This CD was released by Terry himself. At the time, his old guitarist had released a CD of XYZ Demos without Terry's permission.

Yeah "Rainy Days" was the other I believe.

I can't quite remember, but that sounds right. Terry was very polite about it. I've met him 2 times and he was a very humble and gracious guy. Loves his fans.

On 2/28/2020 at 11:36 AM, jondavis said:

Back on the Fence. :)

It's not as consistent (as it's demos), but there's some really killer stuff on it. Good sound quality too. At a decent price, well worth owning. 

• 2023 Gold Donors

Glad to find this out.  I've been toying with the idea of picking this one up.  I have the "Rainy Days" one that Bobby Piper put out but wanted to see if this one sounded better.  I don't feel like picking up a cd-r of it though (especially for $25).  It's a shame there aren't any more of the silver pressed ones left.