Collateral - s/t

Stefan

Yeah, not bad. Nothing great, but solid stuff. I feel like they've released something previously? lol @ the HEAT shirt in the first clip. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Stefan said:

Yep. I'm in.

Yeah...liking what I hear so far.  I was worried they might have too much of a Bon Jovi Country vibe but think that Midnite Qyeen song is more of a one off type thing.  Could be good stuff of they stick to songs like this.

• 3 weeks later...

With all the H.e.a.t excitement, this one will probably fly under the radar as it's out also.

Gave it one spin and I kinda like it.  Not nearly the same level as H.e.a.t and not something I'm get overly excited about.  But not too bad and some decent tunes on it.  There's one or two tunes that are maybe a little too countryish sounding for me which was my worry but also some edgier, more rocking tunes.   

Little different vibe for sure but worth checking out if you've liked the sound of any of the tunes earlier in the thread.  And I believe these guys will be touring with H.e.a.t for some shows when H.e.a.t is in the UK.

Mr. Big Shot
Promiseland
Merry Go Round
In It For Love
Lullaby
Midnight Queen
Get Back To You
Won't Stop Me Dreaming
  Are all good to really good songs. Yes, some have a "Country" vibe, also he has a Chad Kroger vibe here and there(which doesn't bother me, but might to some).

17 minutes ago, The Rocker said:

Mr. Big Shot
Promiseland
Merry Go Round
In It For Love
Lullaby
Midnight Queen
Get Back To You
Won't Stop Me Dreaming
  Are all good to really good songs. Yes, some have a "Country" vibe, also he has a Chad Kroger vibe here and there(which doesn't bother me, but might to some).

Yeah...He was reminding me of somebody and I couldn't put my finger on it....That's it though lol.

They're kinda like Nickelback combined with what I might imagine Bon Jovi sounding like today if Bon Jovi actually tried to still rock instead of just writing sappy adult contemporary ballads.

Yeah quite a nice album,it aint amazing,but the Nickelbackisms & country rock sound are a put off for me for overall replay value,and theyre from the UK too which sorta surprised me,didnt realise that until I ordered the disc from them  :)

Edited by lettard

Listening to this now and it shits all over HEAT for me.
Hope others are blindsided by the HEAT release and miss out on this.
Much more catchy and hooky and much less samey than HEAT

I thought their EP was pretty good.  A few of the same tracks are used again here and while sometimes those can be the best tracks on a band's full length there are several other good tunes to be heard.  The country rock influence they showed on that EP is continued on few of the new tracks, but even if that style isn't your preference don't let it deter you from giving this a chance.  As Cure pointed out there is plenty of variety from track to track.  I will say, I hadn't really noticed the vocal similarities to Chad Kroeger until The Rocker pointed it out, but I did pick up on that while listening to this one.  Overall I think it is a solid album and one I'd recommend checking out.

On 2/23/2020 at 3:22 PM, CureTheSane said:

Interesting post. 

I was really pleasantly surprised by this album. A couple of dud tracks, but generally it's really, really listenable and I enjoy the majority of the songs. Nice and cleanly produced, good vocals and good vibe. It's a good release.

But.

HEAT shits all over this and then regurgitates it's own shit and heaps it back on to this... in my opinion. ;)

Why do you want people to miss out on this? Don't you want people to also appreciate and buy it so they release more music? That's such an odd comment. It makes me think that you force yourself to like less popular stuff just because it's less popular rather than because of how good or bad it is? 

To each their own, but I definitely don't think it's catchier or hookier than HEAT. Nor is HEAT samier. In my opinion. They're very different albums and excellent at what each band is out to achieve. 

Anyway, glad you enjoy this. I do too. I just hope a tall poppy syndrome thing isn't creepy into your take on this vs HEAT. I've always had a real issue with people taking exception with more popular stuff just because it's more popular. This is good, HEAT is excellent. In my opinion. No harm in just enjoying both for the two very different albums they are.   

On 2/23/2020 at 5:22 AM, CureTheSane said:

I don't agree with any if this. It's good in its own right. But IMO nothing here shits on HEAT. 

25 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Interesting post. 

I was really pleasantly surprised by this album. A couple of dud tracks, but generally it's really, really listenable and I enjoy the majority of the songs. Nice and cleanly produced, good vocals and good vibe. It's a good release.

But.

HEAT shits all over this and then regurgitates it's own shit and heaps it back on to this... in my opinion. ;)

Why do you want people to miss out on this? Don't you want people to also appreciate and buy it so they release more music? That's such an odd comment. It makes me think that you force yourself to like less popular stuff just because it's less popular rather than because of how good or bad it is? 

To each their own, but I definitely don't think it's catchier or hookier than HEAT. Nor is HEAT samier. In my opinion. They're very different albums and excellent at what each band is out to achieve. 

Anyway, glad you enjoy this. I do too. I just hope a tall poppy syndrome thing isn't creepy into your take on this vs HEAT. I've always had a real issue with people taking exception with more popular stuff just because it's more popular. This is good, HEAT is excellent. In my opinion. No harm in just enjoying both for the two very different albums they are.   

Agree.

Couldn't agree more actually.  Yeah, it's an okay debut release and decent surprise.  There's a few tunes I really dig like Promiseland, Merry Go Round, Lullaby.  And Big Shot, In It For Love aren't too bad.  Basically, I like the more up tempo, rocking stuff and they sound great on those tunes.

That said, also a few real duds here that almost make me regurgitate.  There's just too much Country Twang in a couple tunes and I doubt I'll ever listen to a few of these songs again.  Basically, this album loses me a bit in the last third of the album as that seems to be where the Country stuff kicks in.   

And yes, this is nowhere near H.e.a.t's league for me.  Not even in the same stratosphere.  Basically, there's about an EP's worth of decent stuff here.  I see myself probably mostly listening to the first 5 tunes and then moving on.

Worth checking out but not anything that will come close to touching H.e.a.t or many of the other good releases coming this year.  

17 hours ago, Geoff said:

Interesting post. 

But.

Meant to say "hope others AREN'T blindsided..."

17 hours ago, Mafisen said:

I don't agree with any if this. It's good in its own right. But IMO nothing here shits on HEAT. 

I don't expect anyone to agree.
As I said in the HEAT thread if I really start to dig it I'll happily come back and eat my words.
Not trying to convince anyone of anything, just different strokes.

• 1 year later...