Tokyo Motor Fist - Lions

Stefan

• 4 weeks later...

Short, sweet and fun as hell. 

I want to say I miss Danger Danger but having The Defiants and TMF doubles my listening pleasure. 

After much thought I’m struggling to pick a clear winner....who’s better The Defiants or TMF?

TMF is immediate ear candy, the songs are short, to the point and crazy catchy. But substance wise there’s not much there with the sound and production. 

Defiants takes a bit of time to get into some of the songs and some tracks are just too damn long. But the layers of sound and awesomeness can be so rewarding in the end. 

So who’s better?

For me it all depends on my mood.

Outside in the pool or doing the household chores...it’s TMF. 

If I’m going for a walk with headphones on or a long quiet car ride... it’s The Defiants. 

The World is simply a better place having Danger on one side and Danger on the other. 

Edited by zacharyamelie
  • Thanks 1

• My Little Pony
28 minutes ago, zacharyamelie said:

After much thought I’m struggling to pick a clear winner....who’s better The Defiants or TMF?

TMF is immediate ear candy, the songs are short, to the point and crazy catchy. But substance wise there’s not much there with the sound and production. 

Defiants takes a bit of time to get into some of the songs and some tracks are just too damn long. But the layers of sound and awesomeness can be so rewarding in the end. 

So who’s better?

For me it all depends on my mood.

Outside in the pool or doing the household chores...it’s TMF. 

If I’m going for a walk with headphones on or a long quiet car ride... it’s The Defiants. 

The World is simply a better place having Danger on one side and Danger on the other. 

We are the winners. 

57 minutes ago, zacharyamelie said:

Short, sweet and fun as hell. 

I want to say I miss Danger Danger but having The Defiants and TMF doubles my listening pleasure. 

Agree.

I already know I'm in the minority on this but for me, I enjoy both the Defiants and TMF more than I ever enjoyed Danger Danger.  I just wasn't huge into them back in the day.  I liked a handful of songs off the debut but never bought anything else of theirs for whatever reason.

Not sure which I like better between the Defiants and TMF.  I'd probably say the Defiants is a bit ahead right now as they've put out two strong albums and they've got some killer tunes.  I think TMF could make up some ground with this new release though.

Just glad these guys are both putting out this music to listen to ;)

1 hour ago, tts42572 said:

I liked a handful of songs off the debut but never bought anything else of theirs for whatever reason.

You have to grab Screw It & Cockroach dude,proper party time fun melodic rock...great tunes on both imho

• My Little Pony
34 minutes ago, lettard said:

You have to grab Screw It & Cockroach dude,proper party time fun melodic rock...great tunes on both imho

Cockroach will certainly rock your face off. 

5 hours ago, lettard said:

Agreed :drink:

Cockroach is my favorite, but both albums are great.  And with Cockroach you don't have to wonder how the tracks would have sounded with the other guy on vocals.  You're able to listen to both Ted's and Paul's interpretations and decide for yourself which is better

• 5 weeks later...

This is out in Japan....gave it a listen.

First 4 songs instant ear candy......great stuff and exactly what I want from these guys.

For me it takes a dip with the title track Lions....that one just not doing much at all for me and could see myself skipping that one going forward.

Second half not too bad....Need to give it more of a listen.  Not quite as instant as the first 3-4 songs and the title track kinda swayed my attention but still sounding pretty good.

Lots of Def Leppard vibes in this with harmonies and riffs....almost feels like the best album Def Leppard never made or something lol.  Really though, I wish Steve Brown would work with the Leppard guys on their new music.....This is the way I want a Def Leppard album to sound.

Also have to say the production definitely sounds much better than the debut so thumbs up on that.

Mine arrived yesterday with Bloody Heels,I haven't listened to the latter yet,will do tonight,but this one sounds great,really like it and it could be an album of the year contender for me personally,will make the chart for sure one way or another.

First spin and really liking this album.  The Leppard influences are still noticeable from the the layered vocals to the riffs.  Production is improved and the songs seem a little more varied in style, especially after track 4.  From the keyboard solo on the title track to a saxophone solo on another.   Steve's playing really stands out throughout.   Reminding me of Clark/Collen on many tracks, but also Vito Bratta came to mind during parts of 'Decadence on 10th Street' and 'Sedona'. My initial favorites are 'Youngblood', 'Sedona', 'Blow Your Mind', 'Monster In Me', and 'Winner Takes All'.

• Like 1

An evolution on the debut in the sound and production...more mature...more Defiants like😂

The title track sure crashes the momentum after the first four awesome tracks. 

2 hours ago, zacharyamelie said:

An evolution on the debut in the sound and production...more mature...more Defiants like😂

The title track sure crashes the momentum after the first four awesome tracks. 

I do like the song itself, but I would agree it's such a drastic change in pace that it disrupts the flow quite a bit.  I probably would have swapped that with 'Look Into Me' and placed it near the end of the album.

what a weird album. 

The first 4 tracks are all great and exactly what I want to hear from TMF.

then 2 gigantic fillers absolutely kills it imo. 

the album in the second half loses momentum - 2 or 3 solid songs at best before a strong end in winner takes all.

overall I think the Defiants is much better and teds last solo offering was awesome.

I do like those first 4 tracks tho