Jump to content

Def Leppard - Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode cover)


Stefan
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not bad and the new Christmas track is on this also...Always been my fav band but I don't really see the point in another best of release myself but hey-ho each to their own,still lookin forward to the Hysteria & More tour in Dec in Belfast  :)

Edited by lettard
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lettard said:

Not bad and the new Christmas track is on this also...Always been my fav band but I don't really see the point in another best of release myself but hey-ho each to their own,still lookin forward to the Hysteria & More tour in Dec in Belfast  :)

My favorite band also....

Can't say I'm really digging Personal Jesus much though.  Frankly, never cared for the original much either.  For me, this is about the same level as the Yeah album that I didn't like much at all.  To be honest, I think their constant playing of Rock On live has influenced me a bit and not in a good way.  I'm so tired of hearing that song live when they have so many other songs in their catalog.  Overall, just never been real big on covers.  They're fine as one off things or whatever....But don't need to see albums full of covers.

And the Christmas song sounds pretty terrible to my ears.  This package will be an easy pass for me as I have no interest in another Greatest Hits offering.

You're lucky getting to see the Hysteria and more tour though.  I'm stuck here in the US seeing the same greatest hits tour every year.  I should've went to see Viva Hysteria in Vegas when I had the chance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there actually anything more frustrating than a great band not releasing music for several years, and then returning to the fold with a shit cover? I think not. Rubbish song - hate it. I don't know the original and hearing this I sure as hell don't want to know it either. Shut up unless you're recording new original music, I say. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

Is there actually anything more frustrating than a great band not releasing music for several years, and then returning to the fold with a shit cover? I think not. Rubbish song - hate it. I don't know the original and hearing this I sure as hell don't want to know it either. Shut up unless you're recording new original music, I say. :)

You hit the nail on the head for me.  The Yeah album was irritating as heck...Covers of a bunch of songs that I never liked to begin with when they should be doing new music.  

Def Leppard has been absolutely terrible at releasing new music...What's there, 2 new albums in the last 15 years or something?  And 2 albums that were average at best with nowhere near the attention to detail or even focus they used to have.  They're always been my favorite band but they need a producer in the worst way if you ask me.  I mean, just put out a melodic rock album and stop screwing around with 70's influences and copycat Queen songs.  They irritate me that they've seemed to run away from the style of music that made them successful.

Honestly...If they would just put out a melodic rock album in the vein of what Midnite City is doing, people would eat it up and say how awesome it is.  Instead they continue doing these hodgepodge albums with a few good songs and a bunch of bad experiments and/or covers.....with Greatest Hits albums or live released every other year.

Sorry for the rant but they have been a frustrating band that was capable of much more the past 10-15 years IMO.

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Def Leppard has been absolutely terrible at releasing new music...What's there, 2 new albums in the last 15 years or something?  And 2 albums that were average at best with nowhere near the attention to detail or even focus they used to have.  They're always been my favorite band but they need a producer in the worst way if you ask me.  I mean, just put out a melodic rock album and stop screwing around with 70's influences and copycat Queen songs.  They irritate me that they've seemed to run away from the style of music that made them successful.  

Well said, they were one of my favorite bands for the better part of a decade starting with High 'n Dry but unfortunately outside of some tracks on Euphoria and a couple on the self-titled album they've done very little that has interested me over the last 25 years.  Without Mutt pushing them and collaborating on the songwriting they seem to have been adrift without any clear direction

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Their last album in 2015 was a great little album, after a couple of less than stellar releases.

As for them being terrible at releasing new music ... come on, ever since the gap between Pyromania and Hysteria, they have always had slightly longer release schedules than most. The shortest gap between albums was probably 3 years.

It is not like this is something they only started doing later in their career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

As for them being terrible at releasing new music ... come on, ever since the gap between Pyromania and Hysteria, they have always had slightly longer release schedules than most. The shortest gap between albums was probably 3 years.

It is not like this is something they only started doing later in their career.

True they have been known for long delays between releases.  But over a similar 15 year span from '84 -'99 they put out 4 albums vs. 2.  And after Pyromania & Hysteria a delay was understandable following up hugely successful records (with long tours), Rick Allen lost his arm and had to relearn how to play, they scrapped recordings and started over with a different producer, and of course Steve's struggles with depression and alcohol eventually leading to his death while working on Adrenalize

Edited by Crazysam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From 84 (the year after Pyromania) until 99 they released 4 studio albums, yes, but from 2000 until 2015 they released 3 studio albums, not 2. Not really that much difference. They also released the covers album, so that was pretty much the same level of output.

They still continue to tour regularly and had issues such as Campbells cancer scare and recovery from that, plus the musical landscape is vastly different to that first time scale you mention.

 

Really not sure what your point is here?

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Really not sure what your point is here?

Only point I was looking to make was that I agreed with the prior post above which had mentioned being frustrated that the guys hadn't put out many new releases over the last 15 years and that it may be beneficial to work with a better producer again.  Your follow up post pointed to the time between their earlier releases being similar and I responded to explain how I felt that was different, no worries though, we just see things differently

Edited by Crazysam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The guitar-work is great.  I think it's a pretty decent cover.

Look, I've been a HUGE fan since 1983, so you'll be hard-pressed to get me to say anything negative about this band. 

Those of you who weren't around to see them on the Pyromania and Hysteria tours... God I feel badly for you.  "Top of their game" is a HUGE understatement.  The Beatles of my era for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.