Main Site Vs Forum

Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

Not really a versus situation as the title implies, but more an observation. I spend a fair bit of time on the main site and i've noticed that the regular comment posters are nowhere to be seen on the forum. Really passionate posters such as rick kerch vzla, 123 charpenay, hair metal again, Doghouse Reilly, dany 69 and dare i say MetalllianStallion, amongst others,  would be welcome additions to the forum. Maybe some are not confident enough with their English, but their comments show that they are more than competent. Hey, if we can understand the incoherent, dementia ridden ramblings of KarpetRydOFunk then i think you guys will be OK

It also goes the other way. I've also noticed that regular forum posters don't tend to post comments on the main site. There are exceptions of course,  The Rocker posts from time to time and Geoff's comments pop up all the time. Actually, it's great to have a familiar name pop up in the comments section and it's been a great help on many occasions,  so thanks for that mate. 

Anyway, as i said, just an observation. BTW. I myself have posted main site comments on three albums.... i think. It was when i first joined and i considered it a sort of "rite of passage".

• Like 1

Must admit I wasn't fully aware of the main site. I'll check it out when I get a minute. I've never posted on there, I guess because I figure the main site will be more of a reviewers thing and the forum will be more for discussions.

Am I getting it wrong?

• 2023 Gold Donors
3 hours ago, Silverkin said:

Must admit I wasn't fully aware of the main site. I'll check it out when I get a minute. I've never posted on there, I guess because I figure the main site will be more of a reviewers thing and the forum will be more for discussions.

Am I getting it wrong?

I agree with you

• 2023 Gold Donors
9 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Not really a versus situation as the title implies, but more an observation. I spend a fair bit of time on the main site and i've noticed that the regular comment posters are nowhere to be seen on the forum. Really passionate posters such as rick kerch vzla, 123 charpenay, hair metal again, Doghouse Reilly, dany 69 and dare i say MetalllianStallion, amongst others,  would be welcome additions to the forum. Maybe some are not confident enough with their English, but their comments show that they are more than competent. Hey, if we can understand the incoherent, dementia ridden ramblings of KarpetRydOFunk then i think you guys will be OK

It also goes the other way. I've also noticed that regular forum posters don't tend to post comments on the main site. There are exceptions of course,  The Rocker posts from time to time and Geoff's comments pop up all the time. Actually, it's great to have a familiar name pop up in the comments section and it's been a great help on many occasions,  so thanks for that mate. 

Anyway, as i said, just an observation. BTW. I myself have posted main site comments on three albums.... i think. It was when i first joined and i considered it a sort of "rite of passage".

Karpetryd does not have dementia.He's actually going through puberty.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I find the main site invaluable. I'm always cross referencing artists. Although there's no shortage of new stuff to keep on top of,  it's great to be able to check the archives and try to find albums or bands that you may have missed or were completely unaware of . I'm also a little bit OCD about the CD's i own list, although i consider it more a "titles" i own list. Whenever i get something new i can't wait to update that list.

I did take a look, it's fun to read people's comments on albums and can help me decide whether to listen/buy it or not I guess.

On the down side, I wonder if I read all negative comments would it mean I'd avoid something which actually I would have liked if I'd given it a chance

On 10/10/2017 at 4:05 PM, Darkstone said:

The Rocker posts from time to time and Geoff's comments pop up all the time. Actually, it's great to have a familiar name pop up in the comments section and it's been a great help on many occasions,  so thanks for that mate. 

Me? Thanks mate. ;) I did post a mass on the main pages a long, long time ago. If you'd look at the date on most the comments I made I think we're talking way over a decade now. Haha. Jeez I'm old. I did like to contribute and kept it up for a while, but kind of lost track of keeping up regular commentary on new additions - I think I actually did it for a while. It's a shame. I kind of wanted to contribute my thoughts to every single album on the main site I'd heard. Because I agree, it is a very good tool when trying to find out about releases you don't know about. 

And I'll be honest... I have read a lot of really positive comments on there about pretty shitty albums. Usually it's rare indies and maybe someone is trying to talk it up so someone pays big bucks for their copy of the CD... I dunno. But I always like to be the straight shooting voice of reason. If an album's shit, I don't mind calling it that and that was a genuine desire of mine, to give a balanced and honest opinion of albums on there... including ones which were unfairly praised. And vice versa... giving praise to the hidden gems out there. One day, when everything settles down, I'll get back and add more comments. 

On 10/10/2017 at 7:31 PM, Stefan said:

I think MetallianStallion was here some time ago but he had some intense arguments with Geoff :)

Geoff can be mean if he wants too...

Edit:  I'm not sure it was MetallianStallion, it could be a similar name.

Grrrrr! 

Yeah, I remember some cyber-arguments with that guy. And you're right. I think he came to the forum for literally one or two posts and disappeared. I think, if memory serves, he was speaking garbage over on the main site and I suggested he come to the forum so we can have a proper discussion. I haven't seen his comments for a few years, but I remember at the time he was a bit of a moron. 

Biggest problem with the main site is....... I don't speak Spanish :D 

Jokes aside, I knew of the main site first and sometimes just go there to see what other people write about albums I like. Haven't been on it that often lately though and have never posted anything there either, to be honest I didn't even know you could with the same login as for the forum

• My Little Pony
On 10/10/2017 at 7:17 AM, nyoilers said:

Karpetryd does not have dementia.He's actually going through puberty.

23 hours ago, Silverkin said:

O my, you competing with Geoff for meanness? :rofl:

I don't get it. What's so mean about going through puberty? I just wish you lot would be a bit more supportive as I go through this transitional period. 

1 minute ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I don't get it. What's so mean about going through puberty? I just wish you lot would be a bit more supportive as I go through this transitional period. 

How long has this transitional period been so far?

• My Little Pony
22 minutes ago, Silverkin said:

How long has this transitional period been so far?

Only seventeen years. Why?

This isn't the main site? 

Must be over 10 years since I added anything in the database. Went through a period of adding some albums and added comments there. 

Just checked and I can't even log in.

I'd kind of forgotten about it.  Thanks for reminding me. Will have a wander around and see what's been added and what people are saying. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
5 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Only seventeen years. Why?

I went through puberty so I can relate.One day you sound like Alvin from the Chipmunks and the next day like Lil Jon.

• My Little Pony
33 minutes ago, nyoilers said:

I went through puberty so I can relate.One day you sound like Alvin from the Chipmunks and the next day like Lil Jon.

Yeah! Ok!

• 2023 Gold Donors
11 hours ago, Silverkin said:

On the down side, I wonder if I read all negative comments would it mean I'd avoid something which actually I would have liked if I'd given it a chance

Yeah,  I know what you mean. You have to take a lot of them with a grain of salt and there's always conflicting comments. I've been looking at them long enough now to be able to recognize certain posters who have similar tastes to myself so that helps. Also, it's not so much the opinion of the poster that guides me but more so the description and comparisons made to other artists. 

That's the great thing about the main site database. I can be reading a comment that mentions another band and i can immediately go to that bands page. I've discovered many gems that way.

12 hours ago, Darkstone said:

That's the great thing about the main site database. I can be reading a comment that mentions another band and i can immediately go to that bands page. I've discovered many gems that way.

Ooh, yes, that feature is always really helpful : 'If you like this band then you would probably like this one too'

I've discovered bands (and films) that way a lot too

On 10/11/2017 at 7:40 AM, Silverkin said:

I did take a look, it's fun to read people's comments on albums and can help me decide whether to listen/buy it or not I guess.

I love reading the comments, good or bad. I look at it like a movie critic, I enjoy reading/watching the comments but always check it out for myself.

17 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

What?

How are people either ignorant of the main site's existence, or relevance? I use it all the time. 

Yes.

On 10/10/2017 at 1:05 AM, Darkstone said:

Thanks for the nod!  lol  I have to admit I've been slacking on the comments on the home page  I am going to try to do a few a day to get caught back up.