Where's the sax?

• 2023 Gold Donors

I find it interesting that in the 80's, no self respecting pop rock/AOR band would be without a saxophone player, yet nowadays a saxophone is unheard of (so to speak).

You'd think it would be popping up a bit more often in some of the softer AOR ballady stuff.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think it really has a place these days, but some great sax laden tracks that come to mind are,

Glen Frey - You belong to the city

Icehouse - Don't believe anymore

Tim Cappello - I still believe

Queensryche - Someone else (full band)

Anybody know of any more modern AOR acts to feature the saxophone in any tracks?

• 2023 Gold Donors

Um... Sax always has a place.

Yeah, you're right, but i think in more traditional style AOR. In the newer stuff it just seems a bit of a novelty, if used at all.

Are you familiar with the German band, Subway? And then subsequently, Human Zoo - the band that followed with a few members from Subway, including their second saxaphone player... the one who played on their best album, 'Taste the difference.'

Anyway, Subway had a saxaphone player as part of the band for their 4 albums in their prime from 1990-1994, and then Human Zoo have had a saxaphone player on all their albums. Human Zoo are by far the better band of the two.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Are you familiar with the German band, Subway? And then subsequently, Human Zoo - the band that followed with a few members from Subway, including their second saxaphone player... the one who played on their best album, 'Taste the difference.'

Anyway, Subway had a saxaphone player as part of the band for their 4 albums in their prime from 1990-1994, and then Human Zoo have had a saxaphone player on all their albums. Human Zoo are by far the better band of the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwS-ie99wnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ixeoBtOUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiRzUicLfVU

Love the Human Zoo stuff. I may have to stock up.

Haha, yeah, they're good. I'm not sure any of those songs I posted actually feature heavy sax at all... they're just some of my faves, but there is no missing the sax on their albums. It's super present, and I like it too.

I wouldn't like sax on everything I listen to... not at all. But it's cool hearing it every now and then and it's what I expect and like from Subway and Human Zoo. Like Yellowcard and the violin. I wouldn't want to hear violin on every rock band I listen to, but I love it in Yellowcard because it's part of their trademark.

• 2023 Gold Donors
Exactly! This is what i mean. We don't really get this now.

Thanks to Geoff i've been listen to Human Zoo's "Precious time" album and it's great.

The track "Keep on rockin'" is an excellent example of hard rock sax and they do it well over the entire album. They don't over use it, which is good.

I also agree with Goeff about not wanting to hear the sax on everything, but it's great to hear it occasionally and it can really compliment the hard rock if done well ala Foreigner, Human zoo.

A couple of other great iconic sax songs,

Baker Street, of course and Dire Straits - You're latest trick.

INXS was another pop/rock band that relied heavily on the sax.

It's good to see bands like Human Zoo still incorporating it in their music.

Diesel also had quite a bit of sax on his albums. The Johnny Diesel & The Injectors album, especially, if I recall correctly.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Diesel also had quite a bit of sax on his albums. The Johnny Diesel & The Injectors album, especially, if I recall correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2YXvQNZFC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBxJzs5V1GY&ebc=ANyPxKr7sq0j8muiyXDrypTqthLSrQ9i6KV35payhsZ5qI1PEHU4SYGhyBAW4FsdQM5AAOGE0RcXLYGYRom5uevp9G900nscQA

That was back when the saxaphone was still a staple in most bands and the injectors were definitely channeling that typical 50's sound.

Speaking of which, Dion's "The Wanderer" is a track with possibly my favorite sax solo.

• 5 years later...