One mighty song that overshadows the rest of the album

If we're talking about songs that get played more than any other by a particular band/artist, then I'd go with:

Bon Jovi: Livin' On A Prayer (yes, it's a cracking song, but there ARE other songs by Jon and the boys that the local radio station could go for when they want to 'rock out' :()

Bryan Adams: Summer Of '69 (see above)

Don Henley: The Boys Of Summer ('Building The Perfect Beast' is a great album ... do they ever play 'Sunset Grill'? No.)

Guns n' Roses: Sweet Child o' Mine (and it's ALWAYS the edited version!)

Extreme: More Than Bloody Words (I hate this song with a passion)

Apart from Don Henley, all of these bands/artists have had other 'hits' here in the UK ... although I do understand that local radio needs to be playing songs that the sheeple are familiar with ... *sigh* ...

If we're talking about songs that stand head and shoulders above anything else on the parent album, then Blue Oyster Cult's '(Don't Fear) The Reaper' has got to be an obvious choice - there are two other good songs on 'Agents Of Fortune', but nothing that comes close to '... Reaper' for sheer majesty ...

• My Little Pony

Extreme: More Than Bloody Words

Shit, man! I nearly choked on my hashbrowns. Haha!

I love that song, though.

Extreme: More Than Bloody Words

Shit, man! I nearly choked on my hashbrowns. Haha!

I love that song, though.

I went out with a girl who insisted that this was 'our' song ... God alone knows why ... anyway, a heady combination of that, plus it being played to death on the radio and in all the local clubs have ensured that I never want to hear it again.

Ever.

• 5 months later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

I'mma say Tyketto's "Forever Young."

Don't Come Easy is a great album, but that first track is a bit heavier than the rest, and I often wonder what they'd be like if they stuck with that particular sound.

Spot on! The first one i thought of as well, also perhaps,

Valentine - Runnin' on luck again

Paradise - Nightmares

and of course,

AC/DC - Thunderstruck

Take The Dog Off The Chain - Babylon AD

I Hate Kissing You Goodbye - Tuff

More Wine Waiter Please - The Poor

Love Song - Tesla

Lit Up - Buckcherry

Nonstop To Nowhere - Faster Pussycat

Cum On Feel The Noize - Quiet Riot

Poison Apples - Motley Crue

Love Is A Lie - Great White

C'mon Take Me On - Hardcore Superstar

Hard To Love - Harem Scarem

Wanna Be The One - Haywire

Fly To The Angels - Slaughter

Never Enough - LA Guns

Say Goodbye - Krokus

Sober - Butch Walker

Epic - Faith No More

Thank God For Jack Daniels - Sex Slaves

The Love - Sammy Hagar

Your Disease - Saliva

I Don't Want To Say Goodnight - Mike Tramp

All This And Heaven Too - Michael Sweet

In Your Arms - Little Caesar

Hard To Love - Harem Scarem

the whole album is perfection........isn't it??

Yeah, but for me the first time I heard of HS was when Melodic Rock posted acoustic versions of Hard To Love and Honestly.

I remember hearing Hard To Love and wondering how an electric version could be better :D

So for me, that song is a stand out, but over time I can see that the whole album is amazing.

• 3 years later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

I heard this one today and remembered what a "mighty" track it was. I picked this one up as a blind purchase when it was released. The album cover, the image, everything was right. They open with "Nightmares" and I was blown away. One of my favourite songs. Unfortunately, the rest of the album was a huge disappointment. To be fair, I haven't listened to the full album for a while, but "Nightmares" was such a hard act to follow.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I heard this one today and remembered what a "mighty" track it was. I picked this one up as a blind purchase when it was released. The album cover, the image, everything was right. They open with "Nightmares" and I was blown away. One of my favourite songs. Unfortunately, the rest of the album was a huge disappointment. To be fair, I haven't listened to the full album for a while, but "Nightmares" was such a hard act to follow.

Man, what an amazing track! Thank you

1 hour ago, Darkstone said:

:drink:

I actually checked out the rest of the album last night, 6 songs in and I like all of them so far. They're different than the opener but they all have something interesting about them, reminds me of Heaven's Edge, Roxy Blue and Babylon A.D. at times but well done and I like the lead guitar work. Nice little find thanks to you

• My Little Pony
On 2/14/2020 at 11:55 PM, Darkstone said:

Not only does this song overshadow the rest of the album, but IMHO it arguably overshadows the rest of the discography.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you. But it is a great song. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
12 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you. But it is a great song. 

Yes, I may have been a bit hasty about the discography, but I still think it overshadows the album.

20 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Yes, I may have been a bit hasty about the discography, but I still think it overshadows the album.

Metropolis pt 1 to me is the track that is the most essential DT track they ever wrote.