Fates Warning discography

kourosofsteel3

Recently I rated the FW discography, mainly because their name came around every time I asked myself 'bout favorite record, song, singer, you name it.

I was 16 since I was introduced to their sound's palette, I passed the regular five stages of acceptance when they changed their singer and as I'm typing these lines I don't see any signs of deterioration of the relationship I've built with their music all these years.

My ratings are posted in chronological order.

Night On Brocken 70%
The Spectre Within 85%
Awaken The Guardian - 99%
No Exit - 78%
Perfect Symmetry - 100%
Parallels - 90%
Inside Out - 100%
A Pleasant Shade Of Gray - 100%
Disconnected -75%
FWX - 80%
Darkness in a Different Light (still undecided, although most probably this will get my lowest rating of the bunch)

I got into Fates Warning during the Ray Alder era (maybe around the mid-90's), so once I'd got used to those albums, I tried the earlier ones with John Arch but found they weren't really to my liking, so I didn't keep them.

My rankings in order of preference would be:

1. Disconnected
2. Inside Out
3. A Pleasant Shade Of Gray
4. Parallels
5. Darkness In A Different Light
6. FWX
7. Perfect Symmetry
8. No Exit

Not keen on "No Exit" and "Perfect Symmetry". I think the latter is supposed to be one of the best regarded albums amongst their fan-base... maybe it works as a technical prog album, but I don't find it as tuneful as the others, which makes it a difficult listen. Don't like the vocals on those two either, so "Parallels" is where it really starts for me.

I also love the Redemption albums with Alder on vocals, with the first two being particular favourites ("The Fullness of Time" and "The Origins of Ruin").

I kinda dig Perfect Symmetry and Parallels although I think they're around 75-80% in my book, the early FW is quite average heavy metal as I remember but will check out the whole thing later.

I could have added they are really weak live as well ;-)

Seriously?

Ok, I admit that I don't like their stage appearance. Gawd, they play fekking metal, they should use theatrics/costumes/fireworks/lasers/lights and all that stuff to satisfy the Dionysian character of music etc , I give you that. :D The first time I've seen them I didn't like the casual jeans/tees appearance.

Perfect Symmetry - 100%

:agree:

Spot on mate, Perfect Symmetry is an incredible album. "A World Apart", "Chasing Time" and "Nothing Left to Say" are all incredible songs. Quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont like em.

Yeah, I don't know why, but I always wanted to like them, or felt I should. It'd probably surprise a lot of people here, but I did actually own 'The Spectre Within,' 'Perfect Symmetry,' 'Parallels,' and 'A Pleasant Shade Of Gray,' all on cassette, if I recall correctly. But if I'm being honest, I really disliked them all. I did definitely try with this band, though...

Dont like em.

Yeah, I don't know why, but I always wanted to like them, or felt I should. It'd probably surprise a lot of people here, but I did actually own 'The Spectre Within,' 'Perfect Symmetry,' 'Parallels,' and 'A Pleasant Shade Of Gray,' all on cassette, if I recall correctly. But if I'm being honest, I really disliked them all. I did definitely try with this band, though...

I think you should have chosen Inside Out which was their first and last effort to reach a wider audience with catchy tunes.

Growing up around KBER like I did, Fates was always one of the more mainstream rock bands on account of the fact they pretty much played Eye To Eye from release, until the station sold out, for years it was always just one of the bands you thought about as normal, it wasnt until I left the area that I realized just what an offshoot they were, bigger in some parts of the US, then others, I personally really get into their songs, certain songs, like Eye To Eye is a fucking smashing rock song, it just is, but outside of the 1st song on that album, there really wasnt anything to jaw dropping, and thats kind of how ive felt about most of their work, although I do really enjoy Night On Brocken.