Artists who's debut was their best

Dark

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the Bad English debut is better tho....isnt it??

Yeah, it is... it's just those 3 fillers that throw the score, but no, you are right. The best songs are definitely a lot better than the best on the 2nd album. Damn bands who insist on putting fillers on otherwise great discs...

Agree with Roxx Gang 100%.

Even though I like the Tuff albums, their debut is definitely their best too.

I agree Geoff with the Tuff debut...

as for Roko,open invitation is a great cd I just think that the opening salvo of tracks(1 & 2) steal the credit for the debut (althought track 3 satisfaction is more than a tad filler/throw away) ;)

all 3 steel panther cds are great, to me its just that the production & sound has got superior from the debut so I couldn't really pick 1 release over another for them.

Dare is another close call,from the smooth classy AOR of the debut to the bold harder rocking blood from stone,the debut may just grab it for me for nostalgia reasons :)

also although I prefer 21 guns-salute,the track U & I from the 2nd disc is one of my fav tracks by them

Another debut being the best by the artist is Little Caesar and I personally prefer the debut Winger to their others(pull runs it close though)

Aldo Nova - S/T

Wow man, really? That'd be my least favourite of his for me, personally. 'Twitch' and 'Blood on the bricks' are probably about 50-60% better, imo. Even 'Subject' was far superior, imo. That's an odd call, mate. ;)

Agree with Slaughter, but Kingdom Come would be way too hard to call. Not false, but a hard call as the first two are basically the same album with a few different lyrics. :lol: Jackyl would to correct to.

One more from me:

Heartland

Alannah Myles

Guns n' Roses

Johnny Crash

Poison

Vain

Kings X

Slaughter

Dream Theater

Metal Church

Thunder

LA Guns

Mercyful Fate

... all artists whose debut album is the best thing they've done (for me, at least) :)

I agree with Slaughter, Alannah Myles and Thunder but i'm not sure about Poison. I really like Flesh & Blood.

Yeah, Poison is definitely 50/50. I'd probably prefer 'Flesh & Blood' too, but it'd be close.

Vain and Gotthard i agree with. Good call.

I did think about Firehouse but discounted them because their second for me was about as good as the first.

Enuff Z Nuff's Strength was the best for me.

Haven't heard any Blue Tears and i'm not really a fan of the rest.

I'll throw in Guns N Roses and Dan Reed Network and two other bands that aren't really suited to this forum Bullet For My Valentine and Trivium.

Top man. "Strength" is easily my favourite Enuff Z'Nuff album - an absolute classic.

Alannah Myles

Guns n' Roses

Johnny Crash

Poison

Vain

Kings X

Slaughter

Dream Theater

Metal Church

Thunder

LA Guns

Mercyful Fate

... all artists whose debut album is the best thing they've done (for me, at least) :)

I was going to mention Metal Church. Several good albums, but the debut is the best. I agree with Thunder too (although the new one sounds promising...).

Few others than spring to mind:

Love/Hate

Bang Tango (i.e. Psycho Cafe, if we are only including studio albums - I mean, who releases a live album as a debut?)

Infectious Grooves

Danger Danger

White Sister (if we're including artists with only two albums)

and maybe Warrior Soul ... just can't decide which is best out of the debut and the second album...

Alannah Myles

Guns n' Roses

Johnny Crash

Poison

Vain

Kings X

Slaughter

Dream Theater

Metal Church

Thunder

LA Guns

Mercyful Fate

I was going to mention Metal Church. Several good albums, but the debut is the best. I agree with Thunder too (although the new one sounds promising...).

Few others than spring to mind:

Love/Hate

Bang Tango (i.e. Psycho Cafe, if we are only including studio albums - I mean, who releases a live album as a debut?)

Infectious Grooves

Danger Danger

White Sister (if we're including artists with only two albums)

and maybe Warrior Soul ... just can't decide which is best out of the debut and the second album...

When it comes to Warrior Soul, they're first three albums are all pretty much flawless ...

Lots of good examples here. I have another one which is a bit of a different genre, but I absolutely fell in love with the Kings of Leon debut ''Youth And Young Manhood'' in 2003 and everything else since has been... disappointing or ok at best

When it comes to Warrior Soul, they're first three albums are all pretty much flawless ...

Erm, yeah ... except the third one. What a massive disappointment that was.

Has any mentioned Faster Pussycat yet? Fantastic debut and nothing that followed is worth keeping imo.

Has any mentioned Faster Pussycat yet? Fantastic debut and nothing that followed is worth keeping imo.

Omfg, you serious? Do you not own 'Whipped,' or are you just racist? ;) I actually rated this discography recently, and as much as I do love the debut, it did actually rate lowest of their three discs. 'Wake me when it's over' is more patchy, but when it's good it's good and when it's bad it's not so bad at all.

Omfg, you serious? Do you not own 'Whipped,' or are you just racist? ;) I actually rated this discography recently, and as much as I do love the debut, it did actually rate lowest of their three discs. 'Wake me when it's over' is more patchy, but when it's good it's good and when it's bad it's not so bad at all.

Oh, man ... "Don't Change That Song" is such a classic .... as is "Babylon", "Cathouse", etc.....

Debut all day for me. I hated "Wake Me..."; one of the most disappointing second albums ever.

Can I offend you even more by offering Britny Fox as another for this thread? Has there ever been a better music video than "Girlschool"?

Britny Fox for me has to be Bite Down Hard,like the first 2 but love the 3rd release and yes Girlschool is a great video ;)

as for other debut discs...

Soul Doctor-s/t

Fair Warning-s/t

Skin-s/t

Lion-Dangerous Attraction

Britny Fox for me has to be Bite Down Hard,like the first 2 but love the 3rd release and yes Girlschool is a great video ;)

as for other debut discs...

Soul Doctor-s/t

Fair Warning-s/t

Skin-s/t

Lion-Dangerous Attraction

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Trouble In Angel City is one of my favourite albums ever, close to perfection and about eight billion times better than Dangerous Attraction.

He he, opinions, eh?

I agree with Faster Pussycat. The debut was brilliant back in the day. Loved Cathouse and Babylon! :beerbang:

Yeah JamesEagle I love Trouble In Angel City also,but once again the nostalgia thing kicks in with DA,one of the first import(vinyl) that I ever got back in the day and I spun it sooooo much at the time :) as you rightly point out... opinions eh? that's why we're here,if we all loved the same thing it would get a tad boring dude :drink:

as for Ratt my personal fav is Detonator.

Britny Fox - 'Bite down hard' is, obviously, their best album by a long shot. The first two are pretty even but vastly over-shadowed by album three.

Fair Warning - overall I actually gave the debut and 'Go' the same rating, but the strength of 'Angels of heaven,' 'Somewhere,' and by light years the best song they ever recorded, 'Save Me' ensures that I prefer 'Go' to the debut.

Lion - I don't know without dissecting them, but it'd be close.