Artists who's debut was their best

Dark

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to Warrior Soul, they're first three albums are all pretty much flawless ...

Erm, yeah ... except the third one. What a massive disappointment that was.

You don't like 'Salutations From The Ghetto Nation'? You, sir, are dead to me ...

When it comes to Warrior Soul, they're first three albums are all pretty much flawless ...

Has any mentioned Faster Pussycat yet? Fantastic debut and nothing that followed is worth keeping imo.

Nah ... as much as I love their debut, 'Whipped!' and 'Wake Me ...' are superior albums ...

I'll throw in Electric Boys and The Black Crowes

I agree with Black Crowes ... nothing they've done comes close to matching their debut ...

Fightstar's first EP

No! Stop it! I won't allow it. 'Grand Unification' > debut EP by a long shot, imo. I actually hate that EP; love 'Grand Unification.'

Fightstar's first EP

No! Stop it! I won't allow it. 'Grand Unification' > debut EP by a long shot, imo. I actually hate that EP; love 'Grand Unification.'

Really? Grand Unification is good but i only go back to Build An Army where as there are four brilliant tracks on They Like You Better...

Fightstar's first EP

Really? Grand Unification is good but i only go back to Build An Army where as there are four brilliant tracks on They Like You Better...

Yeah mate, I didn't like anything about the EP at all. I actually sold that one way back when you could actually sell CDs; back when these guys were still very relevant to me. Which is basically saying I really disliked it. But like I said, I love 'Grand Unification.' A lot of excellent songs on that one, imo.

While I'm disagreeing with stuff, someone above said Honeymoon Suite. Having heard and rated their discography over the past two days, again, I disagree very strongly. The debut came in just better than 'Lemon Tongue' and 'Dreamland,' but I prefer all their other albums, with 'Racing after midnight' being my fave. But of the 80's and 1991 albums, the debut is definitely my least favourite. Though it's still good.

Has any mentioned Faster Pussycat yet? Fantastic debut and nothing that followed is worth keeping imo.

Nah ... as much as I love their debut, 'Whipped!' and 'Wake Me ...' are superior albums ...

Their 1st 2 releases are excellent...Whipped on the other hand is imminently forgettable IMO

Fightstar's first EP

Yeah mate, I didn't like anything about the EP at all. I actually sold that one way back when you could actually sell CDs; back when these guys were still very relevant to me. Which is basically saying I really disliked it. But like I said, I love 'Grand Unification.' A lot of excellent songs on that one, imo.

Ah hang on, i have the mini LP version of the debut EP which has 9 tracks including some that made it on to Grand Unification (Paint Your Target and Mono) that are marked as fav's from the debut. The other is Palahnuik's Laughter. It's now a close call between the two for me.

Yeah, I have to admit I only noticed that last night too - I had and sold the mini LP with a couple of songs from 'Grand Unification' too. If I remember right, are they raw versions of the songs that made it on 'Grand unification?' Because I do love 'Paint your target...'

Anyway, another band for the list, only just:

Hotwire ; their second one is only just behind it, but I'd put the debut in position one.

Yeah, I have to admit I only noticed that last night too - I had and sold the mini LP with a couple of songs from 'Grand Unification' too. If I remember right, are they raw versions of the songs that made it on 'Grand unification?' Because I do love 'Paint your target...'

Yes that's right, I've just listened to the tracks that appear on both back to back and i like them both. The rawness works on the mini LP. You can hear they really mean it and the tracks polish up nicely on Grand Unification.

• 1 month later...

You don't like 'Salutations From The Ghetto Nation'? You, sir, are dead to me ...

I don't. It's a one-track album for me. "Shine Like It" is great, the rest of the album is completely underwhelming.

Lion - I don't know without dissecting them, but it'd be close.

Funny just how strongly we can disagree at times! For me, 'Trouble In Angel City' is in the very exclusive 100% club. Probably in my top 30 or so of all time, just a fantastic album. On the other hand, 'Dangeous Attraction' is no better than 60%, possibly 50%. Yes, the sound is similar, Kal Swan's vocals are just as marvellous and powerful, Aldrich's guitarwork is great, but the songs are so utterly, utterly average. There isn't a single song on 'Dangeous Attraction' that I will ever feel the need to listen to again, whereas I'll never tire of "Come On", "Can't Stop the Rain", "Hold On" and "Forgotten Sons"; all would be among my favourite rock songs. You've got to laugh...

For me

White Lion

Harem Scarem

Joey Tempest solo

Little Caesar

Firehouse

Steel Panther

Hot Action Cop

Nelson

Michael Sweet solo

Skid Row

WASP

Solid list, except I extremely strongly disagree with White Lion. Both 'Pride' and 'Mane Attraction' are far better than the debut, imho, of course.

Um, yeah, I forgot about that one. It's pretty crappy. Think I must have deleted it from my memory. :lol:

For me it would be between Pride and Big Game with Pride edging out Big game, although Big Game has their best song on it - Goin' Home Tonight and one of the best cover songs ever - Radar Love