L.A. Guns doing an all blues album?

AlphaMale

I'll be officially rating Cocked and Loaded later in the week. There are a few fillers in there but what might 'save it' is i'll only be rating the best 12 tracks (as usual).

They certainly included a bunch of tracks on that album.

I'll love to see your rating of 'Point Blank' with your 12 song technique. Surely it'll topple 95%? I know it would for me without 'Gimme some,' 'You're back' and probably 'Who's foolin' who?'

I was actually fooled by that Cocked and Loaded cos there is actually only 12 proper songs - so they all got rated and yep there are some mighty fillers.

On the whole rating thing - I agree with Nightrain - to me a good length album is 12 tracks, so if a band provide good value for money then I will rate the best 12 tracks on the album.

95% of albums are around 12 tracks or less so it only affects a few.....it seems fair though.

PS - i Love 'Gimme Some' lol.

Totally agree with Russ. But to each their own. Everyone rates their stuff their own way, or not. I rate albums from beginning to end, including bonus tracks if I have them. Of course no intros and instrumentals and stuff, but all songs are factored in, to get a complete rating for the album. What if the extra songs don't "punish" the rating, but contribute well to it?

Haha, to each their own, but I'll keep doing what I'm doing. ;)

Which is the right way. :whistle:

I would love to see Glen and Nightrain's ratings of the 7th Heaven discography. I know there's no other band like them, but this 12 song technique basically ensures they will have a super high score for every album - imo, much higher than they deserve.

@ Glen - I do also actually really like 'Gimme some,' 'You're back' and 'Who's fooling who.' I basically love them, to be honest. But even on a flawless album like that, there's got to be three songs that are the least awesome of them all. They'd be my pick. I want to ask you and Nightrain what 3 tracks you left off 'Point Blank' but will try to ask in a Bonfire thread. I assume the other contender would be 'Hard on me?'

It is sad that so many people do not realize the brilliance of Led Zep....the fact that the majority of rock bands that came after LZ would sound very different without the LZ influence....I guess that is called the generational gap...anyway LZ will be remembered long after Guns is dead and buried...personally I have never been a big Guns fan, I always thought they were decent but not great and as for the new release I will wait for actual music before making a judgement.....

Haha, I always hated discussions like this. If LZ were so good and made other bands after them sound good, then why didn't they sound good themselves? Sorry dudes, I could go on about this for days but I HATE that cliched, forced mentality that seems like it's just drummed into some minds because it sounds right.

The simple state of facts is that LA Guns (and their peers) sound nothing like LZ, and if they did, I'd like LZ. But they don't. And personally, I don't really give a shit about what bands influenced what - it's all about what band actually sounds good or not. It's a frustrating argument because so many people just think "old stuff is good." And that's just the end of the story. Me, I just like stuff that I actually like. I don't like stuff because I "should" like it. :)

Haha, I always hated discussions like this. If LZ were so good and made other bands after them sound good, then why didn't they sound good themselves? Sorry dudes, I could go on about this for days but I HATE that cliched, forced mentality that seems like it's just drummed into some minds because it sounds right.

The simple state of facts is that LA Guns (and their peers) sound nothing like LZ, and if they did, I'd like LZ. But they don't. And personally, I don't really give a shit about what bands influenced what - it's all about what band actually sounds good or not. It's a frustrating argument because so many people just think "old stuff is good." And that's just the end of the story. Me, I just like stuff that I actually like. I don't like stuff because I "should" like it. :)

I believe I mentioned the generational gap to explain why you don't like LZ and other bands from that era. And the reasons you give for disliking the 'old stuff' are the same reasons that I dislike most 'modern' bands.....so as always to each their own....that doesn't mean it isn't sad that you can't appreciate LZ... :lol:

I wouldn't say I can't appreciate LZ, and their place in history. I don't begrudge them their rightful place.

I just genuinely don't like their music, one bit. And I also think about 50% of their fans (not you or probably any of the guys here) are posers who listen to them because it's cool and they believe it gives them musical credibility.

Not to stray even further from the original purpose of this thread but regarding LZ, I could fit everything I like on one best of cd. I respect them, love their sound (drums especially) but will never be a huge fan either.

Now, carry on about how fucking bad this LA Guns albums is going to be since their last good album came out in 1994. :)

Yeah, I've liked quite a few of their last ones. 'Waking the dead' and 'Tales from the strip' particularly.